Special Puppy431 for broadcom 4312 (and other?) wifi cards

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
ansu

ansu is happy

#16 Post by ansu »

I had to test LAN first thing in saturday morning. It WORKS!
WIFI too.
I didn't do anything, it just works. I didn't load any drivers, LAN driver sky2 was there already when i started internet connection wizard.
Hmmm...
Many thanks anyway to everyone who were spending time to think about this.
I had to say, I'm not able to do extensive programming or configuration for Puppy.
So it's good to know there are smart fellows around this forum to ask help from.
I'll be back...

slvrldy17

#17 Post by slvrldy17 »

Works for a Dell Mini 9 wireless - the regular version of Puppy does not recognize the built in Broadcom wireless but this version does - is there a .pet package that could be used to update my preferred 4.31 NOP puppy install?
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice

Jaybird

Dell Inspiron Mini 10

#18 Post by Jaybird »

Hi,
I thought that I would add my thanks as well.
This alternative installation works on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook with the BCM4312 driver.
Thanks very much.

I hope the changes that you have made can make it into the main 4.4. version.

Jaybird

Tio_Iroh

latitud e6400 and Vostro 1500 OK!

#19 Post by Tio_Iroh »

just to let you all know that
this Special Puppy 4.3.1. works out great on
the following

Latitude e6400
Dell Mini Card 1510 = BCM4322

and

Vostro 1500 and Latitude D630
Dell Mini Card 1390 = BCM43?? ssb

Thanks for the efforts to jrb!!

tempestuous

#20 Post by tempestuous »

slvrldy17 wrote:is there a .pet package that could be used to update my preferred 4.31 NOP puppy install?
No. If you read the first post you will see that the modifications are significant, beyond what can be installed as an add-on.
Jaybird wrote:I hope the changes that you have made can make it into the main 4.4. version.
No, absolutely not. The technical modifications to the kernel and drivers make this a customised version of Puppy, tailored to suit a limited range of hardware.
In fact, this version of Puppy isn't even compatible with all Broadcom wifi devices, only certain models.

It would be highly inappropriate to force these modifications into a mainstream release, especially if they break compatibility with other Broadcom wifi hardware, which is quite likely.

The long term solution is to wait until the opensource Broadcom wifi driver, b43, supports these non-standard devices. I understand that this is currently close to being successful with the 2.6.31 kernel, which the next major release of Puppy is likely to contain.

sullysat

#21 Post by sullysat »

@tempestuous, thank you for your attention to this thread and for sharing your knowledge of the issue.

After reading what felt like a ton of threads (isn't weird how they seem longer when its something you have to do vs. want to do?) I finally found this iso and its working great on my Dell Mini 10.

I did have some trouble finding a good place to download it from, so I will be mirroring it on my Puppy page in the next couple days.

EDIT: pup-431bcm4312v3.iso is now also available at my Puppy page.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

VK6FUN

#22 Post by VK6FUN »

Recently I purchased a brand new eMachines E525.

I couldn't believe it when the wireless wouldn't work.

a quick look at dmesg|grep b43 confirmed my worst nightmare. not this crap AGAIN!

thanks jrb for biting the bullet and doing the hard yards getting around another linux cock-up.

you summed up very succinctly just why linux will never be popular.

linux is about fixing problems, (rather than enjoying your computer)

pete VK6FUN

Roy

Disabling IRQ 11

#23 Post by Roy »

Just in case somebody else runs into this problem, I am posting my fix action here.

Creating a USB-drive installation resulted in a sound malfunction; instead of the familiar "woof-woof", I was greeted with "woof-woof-woof-woof-woof-woof-woof-woof-woof-woof-woof...." that went on forever.

Go to the files on your thumbdrive (/mnt/home/ of frugal installation) and open the extlinux.conf file. Delete the word "nosmp" from the boot parameters. Save the modified file and reboot. Sound now works normally.

This on a Lenovo s10-2 netbook, although it probably applies to any multi- or hyper-threading processor machine.

My thanks again to jrb for this fine creation!

-Roy

tempestuous

#24 Post by tempestuous »

VK6FUN wrote:thanks jrb for biting the bullet and doing the hard yards getting around another linux cock-up.
The incompatibility of the opensource b43 driver with certain new models of Broadcom wifi device is not a Linux cock-up. It was totally due to HP/Dell and their associated companies messing with the Broadcom wifi specification.

The b43 developers have now updated their driver in the latest kernel version, and Puppy users are reporting that HP/Dell wifi now works OK with the b43 driver in Quirky. See here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55130

jrb

#25 Post by jrb »

It would appear that pup-431bcm4312v3.iso is one of the iso's that have disappeared from Puppylinux.ca. :( I'm reasonably sure that everything else is still there, at least for the time being. I want to extend a large vote of thanks and appreciation for the support that Eric (caneri) has given me over the last year. Having such a welcoming and easy to use resource has made it a pleasure to work on puppy related projects. Thank you very, very much Eric! :D

I'm glad to see that http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy/pup ... 4312v3.iso is still available on sullysat's server. Thanks Sully!

I haven't been too puppy productive lately as I've been involved in other aspects of life. To quote tronkel "Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer." So I'm not going to worry too much about setting up on another server. If you need any of my stuff and the links are broken then pm me and I'll post it somewhere.

Cheers, J

hexdef101

#26 Post by hexdef101 »

can you tell me if this fix will work in puppy 4.2.1 and if so how to go about applying the same modified files into puppy 4.2.1

rjbrewer

#27 Post by rjbrewer »

hexdef101 wrote:can you tell me if this fix will work in puppy 4.2.1 and if so how to go about applying the same modified files into puppy 4.2.1
Go 6 posts up on this page and read what Tempestuous has to say.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

hexdef101

#28 Post by hexdef101 »

well #$!@ that just sux. though i was looking for instructions as to how to apply this patch to 4.2.1 not just install a pet. i figured that if you just delete the b43 and b43legacy copy wl into puppy and overwrite ssb.ko it would be possible to do the same with 4.2.1

guess i will have to request that someone port psx.pet to 4.3.1

rjbrewer

#29 Post by rjbrewer »

hexdef101 wrote:well #$!@ that just sux. though i was looking for instructions as to how to apply this patch to 4.2.1 not just install a pet. i figured that if you just delete the b43 and b43legacy copy wl into puppy and overwrite ssb.ko it would be possible to do the same with 4.2.1

guess i will have to request that someone port psx.pet to 4.3.1
Don't know if the links are good; if so maybe this will help.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 340#391999

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

jrb

#30 Post by jrb »

hexdef101,

I suggest you try the solution mentioned in this thread, Puppy 4.2 on Dell mini 9 wireless tragedy.

Good Luck, J

hexdef101

#31 Post by hexdef101 »

thanks rjbrewer. I found a different psx emulator that works for puppy 4.3.1. so I solved the issue without having to get someone to port psx , though i do like psx -- pcsx from puppy arcade works well enough. I will have to post the links to pcsx to games so that it can be found easier.

tempestuous

#32 Post by tempestuous »

rjbrewer wrote:
hexdef101 wrote:can you tell me if this fix will work in puppy 4.2.1 and if so how to go about applying the same modified files into puppy 4.2.1
Go 6 posts up on this page and read what Tempestuous has to say.
Slow down guys ... the Puppy version under discussion in this thread is 4.3.x (kernel 2.6.30.5).

Puppy 4.1/4.2 doesn't have the same problem with the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver, because unlike Puppy 4.3.x, the ssb module
is not contained within the initrd in Puppy 4.1/4.2.
That means that the ssb module can successfully be blacklisted (or even deleted) and the proprietary "wl" driver should work fine.

Has everyone forgotten that I contributed the proprietary Broadcom wifi driver for 4.1/4.2 back in 2008?
"Extra drivers for Puppy 4.1 with 2.6.25.16 kernel"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 942#251942

Regarding pSX emulator, I can see no reason why this shouldn't work in Puppy 4.3.x, once the library dependencies have been installed.

abushcrafter

#33 Post by abushcrafter »

Will one be able to use the Broadcom Wifi cards which the removed drivers supported using the driver which replaces them? If so how do I add this to 432? No remaster please as I would want to add this to my heavily customised puppy. So when/if ever I am using a computer that has this card in it I can connect to a network which probably means internet :)!

jrb

#34 Post by jrb »

abushcrafter wrote:Will one be able to use the Broadcom Wifi cards which the removed drivers supported using the driver which replaces them?
No.
abushcrafter wrote:so how do I add this to 432?
jrb wrote:I have replaced the standard ssb.ko in initrd.gz with tempestuous' module, placed wl.ko in pup-431.sfs, removed b43.ko and b43legacy.ko (the old broadcom drivers)

abushcrafter

#35 Post by abushcrafter »

Thanks for the info.

What about this step posted by tempestuous:
I suggest you could go one step further, and incorporate my modified ssb module into your initrd, and then into your ISO. If you do so, you must also replace the modules.alias file which has been accordingly modified to remove the defunct device ID's. It's located at /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/
?