Request or question: Xandros puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
WhoDo

#46 Post by WhoDo »

jemimah wrote:I sorted the icon size problem by scaling the icons to cause the tabs to fill the entire screen width (or height). It's probably going to look a little ridiculous on a large screen, but oh well.
Send me an updated version to play with and I'll see how it turns out with the actual icons in play.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

jemimah

#47 Post by jemimah »

Here ya go.
Attachments
P-launch-0.5.3.pet
(99.59 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

omskates

#48 Post by omskates »

Been hoping to see something like this develop ever since the announcement of Fluppy. I wanted to let you guys know you're doing fantastic work and it is very exciting for me as I follow the thread. So many "netbook distros" with this type of interface have been very disappointing to me and I think Puppy will make an outstanding distro for this. Keep up the great work! :D

dougeeebear

#49 Post by dougeeebear »

I hope you will make this a .pet installation instead of integrating it in Puppeee, because since it's all hard-coded and not user-configurable I most likely won't be using it.

Regards, Doug

jemimah

#50 Post by jemimah »

It's not done yet, kindly be patient. :)
I'm waiting for a free weekend so I can concentrate properly on it. I will make it configurable.

WhoDo, any icon update?

dougeeebear

#51 Post by dougeeebear »

jemimah wrote:I'm waiting for a free weekend
You've just got too many projects going on :)

jemimah

#52 Post by jemimah »

Yep, I kind of have a rotation. It keeps things interesting.

scabz

#53 Post by scabz »

Jemimah thanks for your work looks good!!

WhoDo

#54 Post by WhoDo »

jemimah wrote:WhoDo, any icon update?
Yes ... and no. I have a full icon set that suits your application ready to go ... BUT ...

Q: How do you propose to support the 16x, 24x and 48x icon sizes of the standard JWM menus and Rox pinboard systems?

Q: Are you willing to revive puppy support for SVG format icon sets?

The simplest solution IMHO is to supply a complete set of SVG icons and have puppy seamlessly resize them according to their application. If they appear in a top-level menu resize to 24x, if they appear on a standard desktop resize to 48x, and if they appear in your Puppeee Lxlauncher program, resize to 48x for tabs and 72x for pages respectively. That ensures that each size of icon looks the best it possibly could at the resolution.

How do you feel about all of that?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

jemimah

#55 Post by jemimah »

I don't know that much about icons, maybe you can help me understand what the technical difficulties are.

What would be the problem (besides the file size) with just using the biggest icons?

The Jwm Menu seems to be able to resize icons, but they are so small I can't tell if they look bad or not.

Rox also has options to limit the size of icons but I'd need some big icons to test to see if scaling down looks ok.

Do you know what is required to support SVG? Would it be a recompile of JWM and Rox? I'd be willing to give it a shot.

jemimah

#56 Post by jemimah »

WhoDo are you still around? I'd like to test the icons out and hopefully add the launcher to the next puppeee.

2lss

#57 Post by 2lss »

Wow, I stumbled on this thread by accident and it looks perfect for my project!

I have a touchscreen pc I'm sticking in my car for music, gps, odb2 bluetooth, etc. I found most of the software components I want to use but I didn't have a way to glue them all together with a finger friendly desktop. Up until finding this thread I was afraid I would have to use Ubuntu Netbook Remix with the hildon desktop.
I always liked the setup of the Xandros desktop that came with the eeepc's, and this emulates it perfect.

One concern though. Instead of having my tabs set up like the eeepc, I would have them as such | Music | GPS | ODB2 | Bluetooth |
Clicking on the Music tab would bring up a music player, GPS a navigation program, etc, rather than displaying icons. Essentially it would be binding a program to a tab and embedding that program into the desktop. Is this possible?

I found this page http://wiki.lxde.org/en/How_to_start_ap ... c_desktops which shows how to bind a program to a desktop. I was thinking I could add the programs to /root/Startup and have the corresponding desktop bound to it's tab somehow (i.e. amarok bound to desktop1 bound to music tab). When clicking tabs it would be switching desktops and thus switching the programs. This seems pretty clunky so I'm hoping to find something a little more specific. Anyone have a better idea?

I was also looking at the matchbox wm http://www.matchbox-project.org. I may give it a try on my eee with Lxlauncher. Some of the screenshots look very interesting.

jemimah

#58 Post by jemimah »

I don't think you can accomplish your tabs/desktops thing with lxlauncher. You'd probably need to customize the window manager itself to do this.

There's about a million window managers to choose from, so if you're willing to get your hands dirty writing some code, it may not be that difficult at all to find one that's nearly there and take it the rest of the way.

2lss

#59 Post by 2lss »

After doing some reading I agree lxlauncher isn't what I'm looking for. I'm going to try matchbox, it's more what I want.

But I am going to try lxlauncher on my eee. Did you add this to the newer pupeee's? For now I'm going to try with the openbox version.

jemimah

#60 Post by jemimah »

It's not in Puppeee yet, but it should work well in the latest Puppeee, (not boxpuppeee) as I have enlarged all the icons. I'll probably add it to the next version.

Really, what you need is a large task bar, and some scripting to make sure your apps open borderless and maximized. I think there is a program called Maximus that would take care of the latter.

magerlab

#61 Post by magerlab »

openbox is the best one for eee pc :D

you can tune up any application window to be either borderless or maximized as you want
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Applications

Daniumta

#62 Post by Daniumta »

great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniumta

#63 Post by Daniumta »

Hi!! Sorry about my english...

I want to edit cats (tabs) in p-lauch, but I don't find where...

can you help me? and how do you edit the theme for especific thing like tabs and icons? thx!