Request or question: Xandros puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

jemimah wrote:The binary I posted is based on an old version of Lxlauncher
Ok, I've run the Lxlauncher on my Puppy 4.31 installation. It looks like it just picks up the icon assignments from the .desktop files used by the xdg menu system so it shouldn't be a major problem to adapt.

24x24 icons should be big enough for the tabs.

72x72 might be the right size for the main icons but that will depend on the answer to the following question:

What is the resolution / form factor for the EeePC screen? Knowing that I can adjust icon sizes for the best fit.

It also looks as though the launcher uses the Gtk color settings, so we can use an appropriate Gtk2 theme for that as well.

What color combination do you want the icons - blue/green like the sample or some other combination?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

jemimah

#17 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote:The propreitrary (if it is) code that xandros use
is almost identical in potential appearance to the
control panel written by Guy in Dpup
This should be available as 'c' code - small and compact - and is another potential approach :)
Lobster, do you know if there's source code somewhere for this? I googled for it but no relevant results.

WhoDo, the screenshot of the Xandros launcher is actual size (800x480) for the 7 inch Eee, but the all newer netbooks are at least 1024x600. The goal is for them to be large enough for touchscreens, and friendly for people with less than perfect vision. I'm not dead set on duplicating the look of the Xandros launcher exactly. The theme and colors could be left up to the user, so the icons should be reasonably color neutral.

I think we don't necessarily need a whole puplet for this since it's not that large or complex; a pet would probably be enough. Although I'm absolutely planning on using it for my Fluppy puplet for netbooks and I know Barry is trying to make Quirky netbook-friendly so it would be of interest there too.

fsabatino

#18 Post by fsabatino »

jemimah wrote: I think we don't necessarily need a whole puplet for this since it's not that large or complex; a pet would probably be enough. Although I'm absolutely planning on using it for my Fluppy puplet for netbooks and I know Barry is trying to make Quirky netbook-friendly so it would be of interest there too.
Agreed! many of us already have our favourite puppy up and running as we like. It'd be nice to add this pet to our preferred pup as opposed to having to start from scratch, with the potential issues that could bring up also!

Looking forward to the updates.

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

jemimah wrote:
Lobster wrote:The propreitrary (if it is) code that xandros use
is almost identical in potential appearance to the
control panel written by Guy in Dpup
This should be available as 'c' code - small and compact - and is another potential approach :)
Lobster, do you know if there's source code somewhere for this? I googled for it but no relevant results.
jemimah

I'm sure gposil (Guy) would have the source posted somewhere, gpl rules :wink: ... pm him I suppose or post on dpup484 thread.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jemimah

#20 Post by jemimah »

Ok, I've managed to hack in support for a Favorites pane. Here's a pet file for you all to try out and post feedback.
Attachments
P-launch-0.5.pet
(85.37 KiB) Downloaded 450 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#21 Post by Lobster »

Contact Guy directly
http://www.dpup.org
the latest code should now be activated by icons as well as text

Just tried your pet :)
Installed and restarted X
and it took over my desktop
Easily understandable.
With the right icons I think this would work very well
What have you written it in and where?

Do remember to include esc and tab/arrow key control if possible
Don't tile the background, stretch if possible
In this way it can be used and tested and used on a desktop machine
(as I am)
How do I get things into 'favorites'?
Wait a minute . . . this is for Pupeee? :oops:
I am running it in 4.3.1 :)

to get back your old desktop - restore settings
go to rox
and open root
click on the 'eye' icon (to see hidden files)
rename .xinitrc to .xinitrc_xan
and .xinitrc_old to .xinitrc
restart x

Good stuff
woof woof
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jemimah

#22 Post by jemimah »

Just downloaded the latest dpup to check out the control panel. Really nice and clean! I'm going to stick with Lxlauncher for now since the source code is already in my head, but if it doesn't work out the dpup control panel is very similar.

It's written in C/Gtk. The code is at http://drop.io/jemimah but I haven't uploaded the latest version yet.

This is not Puppeee specific, it should run on any 4.31 based puplet. I will work on the wallpaper next and see what I can do about making the arrow keys and tab and such work.

To add a program to Favorites, right-click on it, choose Customize, Then check, "Add to Favorites."

Uninstalling the pet will also restore your regular settings.

WhoDo

#23 Post by WhoDo »

jemimah wrote:I'm going to stick with Lxlauncher for now since the source code is already in my head, but if it doesn't work out the dpup control panel is very similar.
I like the look of Lxlauncher and it can be themed using Gtk-2.0 to suit what you are trying to achieve. Here is my mockup using some icons I had handy.

The tab icons are 48x48 and look fine at 1024x resolution. I don't think they'll be too big at 800x either.

OTOH, the application icons used range in size from 16x to 128x but they will only display at 48x maximum in the Lxlauncher supplied. Is the maximum size hard coded?

These icons would need to be at least 64x64 or even 72x72 to achieve the look you wanted. Let me know if I'm on the right track. If I am, then I have another icon set in the background that I'm saving for Pupeee's new look.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

Uninstalling the pet will also restore your regular settings.
:oops:
Yes more sensible than my method.

Warren that already looks good. :)

lxlauncher seems a good choice
http://lxde.org/lxlauncher

Does the theming using Gtk-2.0 also mean easy use for special
puplets and other languages?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jemimah

#25 Post by jemimah »

WhoDo wrote:Is the maximum size hard coded?
Yes, I've changed it to 72 and attached a new pet.

Lobster, LxLauncher picks up whatever gtk theme you set, you can play with it. Chtheme will work on it. I left all the localization files in the pet I posted so it should be language friendly.
Attachments
P-launch-0.5.1.pet
(85.37 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

WhoDo

#26 Post by WhoDo »

jemimah wrote:
WhoDo wrote:Is the maximum size hard coded?
Yes, I've changed it to 72 and attached a new pet.
Very well, here are the latest mockups showing the effect of changing the Gtk theme.

jemimah

#27 Post by jemimah »

That looks fantastic WhoDo!

I worked on the code a bit today and there's one minor problem. Jwm has a configuration option to keep a specified program on the bottom so other windows won't go beneath it, which is what you want for lxlauncher. And it works if you start lxlauncher from the command line, but if you put lxlauncher in the xinitrc or the startup scripts it crashes Jwm with a segfault.

So I figured out how to set the override redirect like Rox does. This prevents Jwm from seeing the lxlauncher window at all. That works really well and it would work for any window manager. But, it prevents me from turning on the option for lxlauncher to accept keyboard input so you could use tab and arrow to select the buttons and tabs. Since Jwm can't see lxlauncher, it sometimes grabs keyboard focus and won't give it back.

So which is worse, windows disappearing beneath your "desktop", or no keyboard input?

WhoDo

#28 Post by WhoDo »

jemimah wrote:So which is worse, windows disappearing beneath your "desktop", or no keyboard input?
That depends on how you define "worse", but I suspect the lack of keyboard input presents more problems. If you "lose" a window behind your desktop you should still be able to retrieve it with the Alt-Tab keyboard option. OTOH, without keyboard input a mouse failure or runaway process could be catastrophic. JMHO. Have you thought about using Openbox or Fluxbox instead of JWM? What about just disabling the JWM tray altogether? Would that work?

On the subject of the icons in the tabs of Lxlauncher, have you set any size restrictions on those tabs? I have set all of the tab icons to 48x but some still appear significantly smaller/larger than others. For example the X in the desktop tab vs. the document tab icon. Both are the same size and neither has any surrounding transparent space, but they definitely look different. Just wondering.

neurino

#29 Post by neurino »

WhoDo wrote: Very well, here are the latest mockups showing the effect of changing the Gtk theme.
Great look, mockup 2 is the better one for me, I'd only find another icon for the screenshot option, just to not have tho camera icons on the same panel...

WhoDo

#30 Post by WhoDo »

neurino wrote:
WhoDo wrote: Very well, here are the latest mockups showing the effect of changing the Gtk theme.
Great look, mockup 2 is the better one for me, I'd only find another icon for the screenshot option, just to not have tho camera icons on the same panel...
Yep. These won't be the final icons. I have another set under wraps while Jemimah works out the bugs in the code. Can't go spoiling the surprise, eh? :wink:

neurino

#31 Post by neurino »

haven't tried it yet but... there will be an easy (and fast) mode to swap between these panels and standard JWM?

A menu entry with keyboard shortcut would be veeery nice 8) (needs X to restart? It would be nice too to not loose open applications, but maybe I'm asking too much :P

jemimah

#32 Post by jemimah »

WhoDo wrote:Have you thought about using Openbox or Fluxbox instead of JWM? What about just disabling the JWM tray altogether? Would that work?

On the subject of the icons in the tabs of Lxlauncher, have you set any size restrictions on those tabs?
My goal is for it to work in as many window managers as possible. Openbox/fluxbox would be ideal since they are probably the most standards compliant of the lightweight WMs and wouldn't require configuration to work correctly. As for disabling the Jwm panel, You still have the problem, when you click lxlauncher, it rises to the top; not terrible, but it breaks the desktop metaphor. Flwm is my personal favorite for netbooks, but it doesn't have a concept of layers at all, so the override redirect would have to be set if you want lxlauncher stay underneath and not show in the tasklist. I can probably make a command line switch for this.

The size of the icons in the tabs in not hardcoded as far as I can find. I'm not sure how it's sizing them.
neurino wrote: there will be an easy (and fast) mode to swap between these panels and standard JWM?
Yes, that's no problem. Lxlauncher is just a window. You don't have to restart X or the window manager. Just kill lxlauncher and start the Rox pinboard.

jemimah

#33 Post by jemimah »

It seems to me there are probably too many tabs for the launcher to be convenient. Maybe some of them should be combined so you don't have to scroll the tab bar as much.

Here is how I'm thinking of combining them. Let me know your thoughts.

Preferences=System+Deskop+Setup
Utility=Utility+Filesystem
Office(?)=Document+Business+Personal(+Graphic?)
Network=Network+Internet

dougeeebear

#34 Post by dougeeebear »

This concept is exciting and will really transform Puppeee.

I just have a few questions:

- Will the launcher be enabled like any other program by clicking on an icon... and then exit back to the regular desktop?
(This is what I'm understanding from one of your previous posts)

- Will the launcher have a tab manager that allows to add/remove/rename tabs and their icons... and also allows to add/remove and move programs/icons between tabs?

I can hardly wait for a release with the launcher.

Great work!
Regards, Doug

diabetico

RE: Random thoughts on the launcher

#35 Post by diabetico »

Jemima/all,

I installed the original PET that you supplied and I thought it worked fine for what you wanted to do.

I really agree with the thought to combine some of the tabs across the top, as there are way too many to scroll through. Either that or eliminate the text and keep the icon with a (is this possible) pop up text when you hover over the icon.

All in all, a great idea. Being relatively new, it's fun to watch this process take shape and see what will be the final product emerge. Cool stuff.

Wondering if the LXlauncher can be made smaller (on my netbook it takes up quite a bit of space), or if when you run a program it can be in the background.

Ideally, I'd like to add the menu options to the bar, tray, or panel (can't figure out what the bar is called that hovers at the top of the desktop) that you have in puppeee, rather than have a hard link to a program, the nice tab full of choices. However, this method seems to be taking shape quickly and is already usable.

JK