Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 20:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Request or question: Xandros puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Dromeno

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 10:08    Post subject:  Request or question: Xandros puppy
Subject description: XEPC would even be better

I would like to have or be able to make a Puppy distro which looks and feels exactly as the Xandros which came with the AsusEEE 700 and 900 series (now they all come with Windows XP).

Reason: I like the simplicity of this flavor of Xandros but I want to combine it with the versatility and speed of puppy

I understand that there exists a "woof" method to make puppy linux appear as any linux you like but I am not experienced yet so a more step by step overview would be handy
GrumpyWolfe

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 17:53    Post subject:  

Dromeno

I beleave that if you download and try out Puppylinux first you will see that it is very close to to how Xandros was set up in the first place, As far as the woof build I myself work with it to build MyWolfe and well is does have a learning cure not bad but some. So try the latest releases here.
http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

Then maybe look at some of the puplets here and maybe find a happy middle ground. Puppylinux uses Puppy Package manger to take care of installing some of add on soft ware you may want.

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

MyWolfe at Sourceforge
MyWolfe Blog
MyWolfe Groups
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 23:04    Post subject:  

woof
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Woof

Find out what the xandros front end is
originally it was a customised KDE

jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2009, 11:50    Post subject:  

I've been playing with Lxlauncher a bit for this purpose. The launcher from Asus is proprietary so you can't really just use it.

My version of Lxlauncher works on Puppy but it isn't currently ready for release yet. If you're so inclined, you can download the source code here: http://drop.io/jemimah

The other problem you will find is that most of the icons on Puppy are tiny. The task of replacing them all with nice big icons is probably more work than finishing the Lxlauncher project. Sad

If someone wants to help me with the icons, I'd be a lot more motivated to work on the source code.
lxlauncher.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   27.03 KB
 Viewed   3396 Time(s)

lxlauncher.jpg

WhoDo

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2009, 19:19    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
If someone wants to help me with the icons, I'd be a lot more motivated to work on the source code.

Let me know what you need and I'll do my best to help.

jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2009, 19:50    Post subject:  

I've attached a binary of Lxlauncher so you can see what you are working with.

Basically, we need to go out on the internet and find larger icons for all the programs on the Puppy menu. I guess it would be best to target Puppy 4.3.1. Then all the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications would need to be updated to point to the new icons.

This is the sort of look we are going for:

What needs to happen with the code? Well, it'd be nice if it did something useful when you right click, like bring up the window manager menu or a customization menu. Ideally you could set your own wallpapers, and it would have a Favorites pane like the Asus Launcher or the one from Eeebuntu. It also needs some minor fixes so Lxlauncher doesn't show up in the taskbar and stays on the bottom layer and stuff like that. The goal would be to completely replace the functionality of the Rox pinboard.
lxlauncher.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  lxlauncher.gz 
Filesize  15.5 KB 
Downloaded  549 Time(s) 
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2009, 20:03    Post subject:  

MU has hosted the "Exquisite" icons before... I think they are pretty big, around 120x120? If you search you may find them, or the wise one might know Wink (he knows who I'm talking about Laughing )
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2009, 20:22    Post subject:  

I checked out the exquisite icons, and that actually helps a lot. Hopefully I can get Puppeee 3.2 and the next Pwireless2 out the door soon and have some time to work on Lxlaucher.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2009, 22:44    Post subject:  

Scalerx is in Puppy and Barry was working towards using SVG images
or I may have imagined that
Quote:
scalerx is a superb console program. If you have a small bitmap image and you want to make it bigger, it will have jagged edges, however scalerx analyses the image and smooths the edges. Only works with png image

Warren (Whodo) will be ideal for collaboration on icons

01micko wrote:
MU has hosted the "Exquisite" icons before... I think they are pretty big, around 120x120? If you search you may find them, or the wise one might know Wink (he knows who I'm talking about Laughing )

I am about as wise as last years Christmas pudding
so I am hoping it is someone else Embarassed
but I can work on positive paranoia Wink

neurino

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec 2009, 09:24    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
Basically, we need to go out on the internet and find larger icons for all the programs on the Puppy menu.

There are plenty of sites (ex. http://www.vistaicons.com/ ) tha offer Windows icons (PNG or ICO) to be used usually free not for commercial use.

With 50 or more icons each pack I think all Puppy programs can be covered, even if no "official" ones are used.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan 2010, 05:59    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
I've attached a binary of Lxlauncher so you can see what you are working with.

Thank you. I've downloaded and will have a look over the next few days.

jemimah wrote:
Basically, we need to go out on the internet and find larger icons for all the programs on the Puppy menu. I guess it would be best to target Puppy 4.3.1. Then all the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications would need to be updated to point to the new icons.

This may not be such a problem. I have SVG or 256x PNG sources for most of the really nice GPL icon sets already.

jemimah wrote:
This is the sort of look we are going for:

Sweet.

jemimah wrote:
What needs to happen with the code? Well, it'd be nice if it did something useful when you right click, like bring up the window manager menu or a customization menu.

The secret here could be in the code for HairyWill's RoxRightClicks utility. It was in 4.2.1 by default but the dotpet is also available from the ibiblio repositories.

jemimah wrote:
Ideally you could set your own wallpapers, and it would have a Favorites pane like the Asus Launcher or the one from Eeebuntu. It also needs some minor fixes so Lxlauncher doesn't show up in the taskbar and stays on the bottom layer and stuff like that. The goal would be to completely replace the functionality of the Rox pinboard.

Hmmmm ... to borrow a Patriotism ... I'll have to think about the options here. I'm working on an ASUS laptop but not the Eee version.

jemimah

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan 2010, 13:32    Post subject:  

WhoDo wrote:

The secret here could be in the code for HairyWill's RoxRightClicks utility. It was in 4.2.1 by default but the dotpet is also available from the ibiblio repositories.

I think this functionality will have to be coded into Lxlauncher, since Rox would not be running. There is a newer version of Lxlauncher that has a menu to run LxShortcut when you right click; I was going to copy code from there. The binary I posted is based on an old version of Lxlaucher since the new versions use the menu-cache library which I couldn't get to work on Puppy. Plus the code from the old version is a lot easier for me to understand and modify; and the newer versions don't have any new features that I want.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan 2010, 18:15    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
WhoDo wrote:

I think this functionality will have to be coded into Lxlauncher, since Rox would not be running.

Yes, that is what I understood would be happening but I thought HW's code might offer some helpful clues if it isn't too Rox-specific.

I still haven't had a chance to look at the Lxlauncher yet, but I will do so in the next couple of days.

Dromeno

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jan 2010, 18:20    Post subject: Tabbed desktop  

As visible in the screenshot above , one of the most attractive qualities of the Xandros window manager is its desktop with tabs. This makes it very clean, even with lots of installed programs (and large icons). The icons are also fixed in their grid position on the desktop. You can not move them around. At first sight this is less flexible but it yields a very organized look. And i suspect that it makes the window manager lighter/smaller/faster. In Xandros you are (cold booted) online in half a minute.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jan 2010, 00:47    Post subject:  

The propreitrary (if it is) code that xandros use
is almost identical in potential appearance to the
control panel written by Guy in Dpup
This should be available as 'c' code - small and compact - and is another potential approach Smile

Page 1 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: