Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 14 Nov 2019, 18:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Pup_save Will Not Resize
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
CGP

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec 2009, 16:36    Post subject:  Pup_save Will Not Resize  

I'm running puppy 4.3 small. the freemem display in the system tray said I had only 7 MB free in my pup_save file and I kept getting the pop-up red banner strongly recommending that I resize the pup_save file. I resized it using 'Resize Personal Storage File' in Menu -> Utilities, increasing it by 16 MB. The size of the pup_save file did increase by 16 MB. I know that because I looked at its size from Windows (I have a dual boot system). Yet, freemem still says that only 7 MB are free. To test if that is really true, I tried to copy a 12 MB file into puppy. It would not copy, reporting that there was not enough disk space. So, it is true. What do I do?

My attempts to fix the problem are these:

I have run the boot option pfix=fsck to no avail. I have also run pfix=clean to no avail.

I also created a new pup_save file, copying my bookmarks and my-documents folder from the old pup_save to the new. I have the same problem with the new pup_save.

I used to run puppy 3.01. It resized with no problem.

What do I do to get more free space in the pup_save file?

Thanks.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sun 27 Dec 2009, 18:47    Post subject:  

How big is the pup_save.2fs file now? Where are you storing it? How much free space in the partition?
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2009, 21:55    Post subject:  

pfix=fsck never did work; still doesn't. You have to fsck manually.

Go in your email folders, delete some stuff (including big attachments). Also from the trash. Then compress the folders, that usually picks up some room.

And get into Menu>Filesystem>Gdmap, open /initrd/pup_rw, and see if you can find any big files gobbling up space. Delete the ones you can.

If you keep your email in a small pupsave, you are going to run out of room frequently. Either keep email outside the pupsave, or make a big pupsave.

Oh, and be aware that freemem shows different results, depending on whether you did pfix=ram or not.
CGP

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2009, 14:12    Post subject: PROBLEM SOLVED  

Thanks for the replies. I did not respond earlier because my email notifications of your replies went into my Spam folder! Sorry.

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM BY COPYING THE PUP_SAVE FILE TO A DIFFERENT COMPUTER AND RESIZING IT THERE!

I can think of no reason why the pup_save file would not resize on the original computer but did resize on the new one. The original computer has a lot more RAM memory than the new one, if that might matter.

The original computer is a Compaq Presario 2170US Celeron 2 GHZ laptop with about 750 MB of memory. The new computer is a Compaq Presario 5003US Pentium III 933 MHz with 384 MB of memory.

---

The original computer had another funny quirk that I don't understand: on that computer, you can have only one pup_save file in each folder. On the new computer, you can have multiple ones. More precisely, on the original computer, I have my pup_save file in a top level folder on the boot partition (C) and also have another partition (D). I have the initrd.gz, vmlinuz, and pup-430.sfs files there, too. Of course, I use grub to boot puppy. If there are 2 pup_save files in that folder, when booting, puppy finds them and allows me to choose one or the other (by pressing 0, 1, or 2). But when I choose one of the 2 pup_save files, that file does not open. Instead, the computer behaves just like I chose 0 (starting to create a new pup_save file).

I don't have that problem on the new computer. That is, I can successfully boot different pup_save files in the same folder. That computer has only 1 partition.

---

I have no idea if the resizing problem is related to the boot problem. But this information might help someone in the future.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: