Broadcom-wl and ssb can work together but..........

scottbg1

Broadcom-wl and ssb can work together but..........

#1 Post by scottbg1 »

.......wl has to be loaded before ssb.

I have run into this on a couple of other distros but I am unable to fix this problem on puppy.

I have read many posts on the subject and one question I have seen the most, is WHY have ssb at all?

Well I need ssb.

I have a dell laptop with a BCM4328 wireless card that requires 'wl'.
I also have a BCM4401 ethernet card that requires 'b44'.

The problem is that 'b44' relies on 'ssb' to work.

The fix in the past is to blacklist b43 and to force the wl module to load before b44 and ssb.
I was able to do this, say in Arch by adding the modules in a particular order in the rc.conf file.

But I have had no luck in puppy.

I have even went as far as blacklisting 'b43', 'b44', and 'ssb' in the boot config applet but 'ssb' will load anyway. I have since discovered that 'ssb' is written into the kernel so I guess that is where I am at now.

I can manually remove and reload all the modules in the proper order after every boot, and get my wireless and ethernet to work at the same time, but who wants to have to do that everytiime???

I am new to puppy, and I am not a linux guru, so I am stumped on how to fix this. Is there a way to reconfig the kernel to either add wl to the module loading, or take ssb out so I can configure the load sequence in the boot applet?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

scottbg1

#3 Post by scottbg1 »

Thanks rj,

But no, 'ssb' is still there.

But if it had worked, its not the solution I need is it?

By blacklisting or removing ssb all together, it would have crippled my ethernet connection right?