Xserver eeepc901

Please post any bugs you have found
hokal

Xserver eeepc901

#1 Post by hokal »

Dear Puppy-Friends,

since weeks I'm trying to switch over from 4.2. to 4.3.1. following your fantastic work also for eeepc in the forum.
I have an eeepc 901 and boot from an USB stick. But I must be a fool, since other eeepc users don't have this problem and I couldn't find the solution even reading tons of information in this forum. Therefore pls excuse if I have overlooked something. :?

With ALL 4.30 or 4.31 versions / derivatives, also the original from BK I have a video / display manager problem. I thought, using the special version for eeepc would have solved that. Here is what I get at the console during booting with ALL 4.3x-versions:

Everything loads fine (even pup-431.sfs, which loaded only until I cleaned syslinux.cfg to: default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz and nothing else in there!)

Here are the last noted command lines:

"Intel 800/900 Series VBIOS Hack: version 0.5.3
Chipset: 945GM
BIOS: TYPE1
Mode Table Offset: $C0000 + $269
Mode Table Entries: 36
Patch mode 38 to resolution 1024 x 600 complete
This script will run X windows for you.
Starting X with video mode 0x011B and mouse input / mice....

Exited from X. Type "Xwin.. .....to restart X."

When I restart X or Xwin, or xorgwizard it offers 1024 x 600, but again it ends up in the console. You can see that the screen is controlled (flickering through various modes ??) and also see the mouse pointer for a fraction of a second. But then the screen falls back to console mode. If I try to start Xvesa the system goes directly to console mode without any further reaction.

With previous versions of Puppy (before 4.30) I never had this problem. I would love to get this running, since I like my small 901 as well as puppy very much. Also I like the work Jemimah has done for the special eeepc version. Has 4.3.x a kernel incompatible with the video chips of my 901 ?? BTW my 901 hardware is okay, since I can run XP and Puppy 4.2.1 without any problem.
For any help to solve this problem I would be very grateful.

best regards, Horst from Germany / Rheinland

hokal

Xserver problem solved

#2 Post by hokal »

Problem solved! The system started using other previous puppy files (4.2. files!) from my sd card and/or internal sd drive.
Removing and or deleting those files made puppy 4.3.1 Xserver starting up!

I learned the lesson to start a new version (even from CD or USB stick) only after having cleaned all mounted medias from previous puppy versions!