snap2 rotating snapshot backups for Puppy

Miscellaneous tools
edoc

#121 Post by edoc »

Has snap2 been tested with Lucid 5.1 or fatdog64, please?

I can really use this valuable app but don't want to create the mess I am trying to avoid by rushing in blindly.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Jim1911

#122 Post by Jim1911 »

edoc wrote:Has snap2 been tested with Lucid 5.1 or fatdog64, please?
It works fine with Lucid, don't know about fatdog64. You'll find it in Lucid under More Pets in QuickPet. However, you need to download lstandish's latest since it has had a few fixes.

edoc

#123 Post by edoc »

OK, thanks! Just downloaded 4.16.

Will try to give it a try a little later - have a project I must complete first.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

lstandish

#124 Post by lstandish »

Thanks, Jim, for answering this.

I worked very hard to prepare my snap2 for inclusion in Debian Linux, and when it was ready I realized that gtkdialog is not to be included in the next Debian. This has really "taken the wind out of my sails," since Debian is my "daily use" distro. However I expect snap2 will survive in puppy as long as gtkdialog is included.

I just installed the latest snap2 (2-4.16) in Puppy 5.1, and it appears the snap2 GUI menu entry is not created - sorry! I will try to fix this soon and make a new release.

lstandish

Menu problem fixed

#125 Post by lstandish »

The lack of menu entries is now fixed in snap2-4.17.
Download http://files.lstandish.com/

(The problem was in syntax in the .desktop files for the 2 menu entries. '[$e]' can be used in KDE but not in Puppy.)
--
Lloyd
snap2 rotating snapshot backups for Puppy/Debian Lenny/Ubuntu
The convenience of full backups with the speed and disk economy of incremental backups
[url]http://standish.home3.org/snap2[/url]

edoc

#126 Post by edoc »

I seem to be getting a failure.

After the first failure I stopped the process as it was taking way too long and I need to use this laptop.

Can you tell what may be the cause from this log file output, please?
Backup run on Thu Aug 26 10:33:46 EDT 2010
Using settings from /root/.snap2/default.set/settings
Using rsync compression
Backing up to: /mnt/sdb1
Snapshot hardlink reference: recent.1

backing up /root/.snap2
Using default file exclusion patterns
sending incremental file list
created directory /mnt/sdb1/recent.0
/root/.snap2/default.set/settings

sent 1255 bytes received 42 bytes 2594.00 bytes/sec
total size is 2508 speedup is 1.93

backing up /mnt
/mnt/sdb1/29july2010/Mozilla_Profiles/WasTheDefault/9m0ofn6q.default/9m0ofn6q.default/Mail/mail.kd4e.com/Inbox
/mnt/sdb1/29july2010/savestuff/Mozilla_Profiles/dmc3/9m0ofn6q.default/Mail/pop.secureserver.net/Inbox
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

lstandish

#127 Post by lstandish »

Hi edoc,

It looks to me like you specified /mnt as a top level directory to back up. snap2 will try to back up all directories under /mnt. Each directory under /mnt is usually an entire partition. Normally you would not do this.

Furthermore, I see the backup storage location is a partition mounted under /mnt (/mnt/sdb1). Unless you specifically "exclude" /mnt/sdb1 from the backup of /mnt, you will be backing up the backup storage in a circular manner, which will probably result in your computer catching fire :D

What are you trying to back up? Did you click the "help" button and read the at least "SNAPSHOT VS MIRROR BACKUPS" topic? What type of backup are you doing, snapshot or mirror?

I think backing up entire partitions is usually unnecessary. Usually it is enough to back up only your home directory (/root in puppy).
--
Lloyd
The convenience of full backups with the speed and disk economy of incremental backups

edoc

#128 Post by edoc »

I did read the help.

I try to keep everything I can that is of value outside of the Savefile so I don't have to fuss with running out of space.

I see that /mnt/home points to /initrd/mnt/dev_save which points to /inode/mount-point ... which is confusing to me ...

Anyhow, here is what I believe I need to save:

Almost everything in /mnt/home/ -- wherever that really is located.

/root/.mozilla/seamonkey/ contains a symlink for my mozilla setup outside of Savefile.

My documents and image files and downloads are all in /mnt/home/

I don't see anything inside of /root/ that is not an app or the OS.

I guess I am not understanding the directory structure and how to be sure that snap2 is properly configured.

recent.1 has /mnt and /root and backuplog.txt.gx (/root contains ./snap2 which contains /default.set which contains /exclude and some files)

recent.2 doesn't include /mnt

recent.3 has only /root and backuplog.txt.gz (and /root has
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

lstandish

#129 Post by lstandish »

Since /mnt/home/ is a symlink, specifying it as a backup source path will simply create a matching symlink on the storage drive. The data will not be copied.

Likewise, if a symlink is part of a path that is backed-up, anything "under" the symlink is ignored.

This might seem strange, but the idea of snap2 (and rsync) is to be able to restore the machine exactly the way it was, and that means that symlinks should be copied as symlinks, not replaced by the data they point to.

Therefore, if you want to back up /mnt/home, you should name the directory it points to. I think /initrd/mnt/dev_save would work, or /dev/sda6 (or whatever your partition is). (I think these are hard links to the same thing.)

If you back up /root (which is really your Puppy user's home directory), note that subdirectories .etc and .share are symlinks and will simply be copied as symlinks (no data in those directories will be backed up). If you want to back up anything in /root/.etc. or /root/.usr, just specify the "real" path (e.g. /etc/).

The storage directory can be a symlink - no problem.

Note that snap2 duplicates the full directory structure under recent.1 (etc), to make it easy to recover all directories.

Hope this helps.
--
Lloyd

edoc

#130 Post by edoc »

Should I then just delete the existing "recent" folders and start again clean?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

lstandish

New snap2 shapshot backup version

#131 Post by lstandish »

24-Oct-2011 (snap2 4.21)
  • Fixed issues with remote SSH authentication on 64 bit systems.
    Changed remote SSH authentication detection method to "manual"
    Add "Generate SSH Keys" button to "Advanced" tab.
Note that the previous release just 2 days ago (v4.20) fixed the issue of hanging progress bars on 64 bit systems.
--
Lloyd

peebee

Big backups conundrum

#132 Post by peebee »

lstandish wrote:Thanks to the use of hard links, it can keep several gigabytes of files on a one-gig USB drive, without compression. Your backups are accessed as ordinary directories and files.
Hi there

Using v4.22 of snap2 on my desktop under Slacko 5.3.3

I've got 2 hdd's on this system and I've setup snap2 to backup at 21.00 each night 2 directories on sda1 to a Backups directory on sdb1 which I mount on each boot.

All seems to be going well except that the backups each night seem to be very large - almost as big as the source directories which I'm not changing all that much.

How can I tell if the hard link mechanism is working? I see no link symbols on any of the files in the recent.* backups.

Is there something I need to set to cause it to use hardlinks?

I've attached an archive with some screenies and also the settings file.

and the recent.1 log - notice it says "Snapshot hardlink reference: recent.1".....

Would love to know what I'm doing wrong....
Thanks for any help
Cheers
peebee

Truncated recent.1 log:

Code: Select all

Backup run on Mon May  7 21:00:01 GMT 2012
Using settings from /root/.snap2/default.set/settings
Using rsync compression
Backing up to: /mnt/sdb1/Backups
Snapshot hardlink reference: recent.1

backing up /mnt/home/Documents and Settings/Peter.ATHOME/My Documents
created directory /mnt/sdb1/Backups/recent.0
/mnt/home/Documents and Settings/Peter.ATHOME/My Documents/CAMRA/Guides 2006/Invoices + Sales/Invoice-MHDC.doc
/mnt/home/Documents and Settings/Peter.ATHOME/My Documents/My Money/Bond Expiry Dates.xls

sent 218688 bytes  received 563 bytes  3813.06 bytes/sec
total size is 2456436223  speedup is 11203.76

backing up /mnt/home/Documents and Settings/Owner/Application Data/Thunderbird
/mnt/home/Documents and Settings/Owner/Application Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/z7g91mvx.default/.parentlock

sent 57269469 bytes  received 954 bytes  5454326.00 bytes/sec
total size is 339214099  speedup is 5.92
Attachments
compress.tar.gz
(113.97 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

lstandish

Hardlinks

#133 Post by lstandish »

Hi peebee,

PS Edit: didn't notice you posted your logfile, sorry.

I looked at your config files and the screenshots, looks fine to me. Also, your backup log shows that your backups are working fine, using hardlinks. Note that only a few files were reported as copied during your latest backup, and yet the total size of one of the backups is over 2 GB.

One thing you have to understand about hard links is that the system will report full size, even though the filenames point to the same place on the hard drive as other backups. It's not the same as a symlink; you won't see any link icons in a file browser.

Understand that all filenames are really a hard link to a place on the disk. When you create ANOTHER hardlink to the same data storage area, you essentially have created another name for the same file on disk. Almost no extra hard drive space is used.

A symlink, on the other hand, is a link to a *filename*. If you delete the original file, you break a symlink. With hardlinks there is no "original" file. If a file on disk has more than one hardlink (name), it will not be deleted from disk until all hardlinks are removed.

Since file managers are generally fooled by hard links, you can use "ls -l" to see them. Here is a listing from one of the directories in my backup:

lloyd@debiandesk2:/var/data/snapbackups/recent.1/home/lloyd/descent-missions/downloads/d2$ ls -l
total 41356
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 1207704 Mar 30 19:34 Bahagad Outbreak.zip
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 531049 Apr 1 00:55 Chasm.zip
drwxr-xr-x 2 lloyd lloyd 4096 Mar 30 20:35 coop
drwxr-xr-x 2 lloyd lloyd 4096 Mar 30 19:36 CTF
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 1550139 Apr 1 19:52 Disint_Beta_3.zip
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 64186 Apr 1 00:56 eglacier.zip
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 955506 Mar 30 19:26 Entropy2.zip
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 827906 Mar 30 19:27 Entropy.zip
-rw-r--r-- 4 lloyd lloyd 648849 Mar 11 16:24 galmoons.zip
-rw-r--r-- 4 lloyd lloyd 1028349 Mar 11 16:22 gradius3.zip
-rw-r--r-- 4 lloyd lloyd 470118 Mar 11 16:23 gstroids.zip
-rw-r--r-- 4 lloyd lloyd 1515907 Mar 11 16:33 harqyjia.zip
-rw-r--r-- 3 lloyd lloyd 4593932 Mar 30 09:12 lost-levels-old.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 66185 Apr 1 00:58 Macron.zip
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 7676896 Mar 31 11:50 Obsidian.zip
-rw-r--r-- 4 lloyd lloyd 1629767 Mar 11 15:48 omicron.zip
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 1826713 Apr 1 00:58 Phobos.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 lloyd lloyd 396983 Apr 14 00:48 Porgys.zip
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 43610 Apr 1 01:00 Tekthra.zip
-rw-r--r-- 3 lloyd lloyd 11395812 Mar 18 09:57 The Enemy Within.zip
-rw-r--r-- 3 lloyd lloyd 5710042 Mar 30 09:02 The Lost Levels.zip
-rw-r--r-- 2 lloyd lloyd 48784 Mar 30 20:47 Wolf Dog Fight.zip

Notice the number after -rw-r--r--. It is the hard link count. So by looking at this listing we know that galmoons.zip is one of 4 hardlinks to the file on disk. So it will appear in this backup and 3 previous backups.

However, Porgys.zip has only one hard link, meaning this backup is the only backup copy. Porgys.zip will therefore appear in the backup log for this backup. None of the other files in this directory will be listed in this backup's log.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more doubts.

PS You can view the backup logs inside snap2 by going to the "LOGS & REPORTS" tab and clicking the "Backup Tools" button.
--
Lloyd

peebee

Re: Hardlinks

#134 Post by peebee »

lstandish wrote:Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more doubts.
Hi Lloyd

Many thanks for a great explanation - I guess I'm still learning about the intricacies of the Linux filesystem :oops:

I've just made the "jump" on my desktop from Windows XP and was very pleased to discover snap2 covered my backup needs so well.

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

johnywhy

Note Remembering Exclusions

#135 Post by johnywhy »

hi

snap2 on racy 5.3
  • -i run snap2 from the Start menu.
    -on Directories to Backup tab, i add "/". No problem so far.
    -then i click "Exclusions for selected snapshot entry".
    -I type "-/mnt"
    -i click OK, Save, Done. Snap2 closes.
    -i reopen snap2 from the Start menu, and inspect the "Exclusions" page.
    -The "-/mnt" i entered previously is not there.
what should i do?

btw, is it necessary to exclude the mnt directory in order to exclude mounted drives?

thanks

lstandish

#136 Post by lstandish »

I had trouble with posting, so I replied via PM. I fixed that problem so I'm posting the PM interchange here:

Hi,
You found a bug! It turns out that backup exclusions cannot be added if the backup directory is the root directory ('/').

Here's my excuse for overlooking this bug: I never intended for the program to backup the entire filesystem. My idea was that only the user's data files would be backed-up.

Anyway, a bug is a bug, and I'll try to fix it soon. Until the bugfix release comes out, you'll have to specify any directory except '/' if you want to use backup exclusion patterns.

To this, "J" replied via PM:

Cool, but i did not exclude "/", I excluded "/mnt".

Please help me understand "entire file system"-- I just want a snapshot of my puppy install-- essentially the personal save file, but incremental and compressed. That's why I tried to exclude my mounted drives.

Love GUI's that simplify my tasks, but feeling overwhelmed by your myriad options and pages. Just want to do a manual backup before I make significant system changes.

Maybe you could offer a simplified one-click interface? Would be awesome!

Thanks!
J

To which I reply:

Hi again (right this moment I'm fixing this bug in snap2!)

What I meant is that if the backup directory specified is '/' (as it is in this case) then you can't specify any backup exclusions. I understand that you want to exclude your mounted drives from the backup, and that's a good idea.

If you want a backup of your entire Puppy installation in order to recover to a previous state of installed packages, etc. (like Windows' "Recover to a Previous Time"), I'd suggest a one-time backup of the Puppy save file.

However, for regular backups and for access to previous *versions* of files, this is inefficient since the save file has a fixed size no matter how little the content. Also, a Puppy save file backup does not allow snap2/rsync to take advantage of hardlinks to save disk space.

snap2 is intended to back up user data files, not the entire OS. If the OS fails (hard drive failure, etc.), the idea is that you fix things, reinstall the OS, then copy over the backed-up user data files. Or, you can use the backup to recover a file you deleted by mistake, or to revert to a previous version.

Following are my suggestions for using snap2 this way with Puppy:

I would suggest backing up only '/root', which should get all your documents and similar files, since the backup will include all subdirectories. If there are any other directories besides /root where you store files (such as special PETS you've downloaded), add them as "Backup Source Directories" too.

You probably won't have to bother with exclusions if you back up only '/root'.

Your backup backup storage location must be OUTSIDE the Puppy virtual filesystem, so it will probably be a path beginning with '/mnt'. That way, if your Puppy save file is corrupt or Puppy itself has a major problem, your files are accessible from another OS, or by booting Puppy from a CD.

If you have to reinstall puppy, it is a simple matter to copy the backed-up files from the backup storage location to the new Puppy.

Note that this scheme will allow you to recover (from backup) any previous *version* of files. Also, only changed files will actually occupy additional space on the backup drive at the time a "snapshot" is made. Unchanged files at the time of every new snapshot are hard-linked.

However files are NOT compressed. By avoiding compression, they can be accessed and recovered by simply copying with any file manager. The savings of backup storage space is so great with snap2 that you will almost certainly find that compression is unnecessary.

In sum, if you want simple, fast backups, specify '/root' as the "Snapshot Backup Path" on tab one. Follow the 4 steps at the top portion of the snap2 GUI. You can ignore the logs, advanced options, etc., since they're set to reasonable defaults.

However, if your backup disk might sometimes not be mounted at backup time, I suggest you uncheck the "allow no hardlink reference" option on the ADVANCED tab under Miscellaneous Settings, after the first backup. (It MUST remain checked for the first backup!)

johnywhy

#137 Post by johnywhy »

Yep, I understand the benefits of rsync (snap2). That's why I want to use it :)
...fix things, reinstall the OS, then copy over the backed-up user data files...
You're saying we fix things BEFORE restoring the backup? If i break the OS, I would not want to "fix" it, I would just want to do a complete restore of the whole OS to an earlier state. Also, the way I prefer to use backup is to avoid reinstalling the OS. I've achieved that with a simple drag-copy of the personal save file, and hoped to achieve that with rsync, with the benefit of incremental backups. Is that not possible?
...I would suggest backing up only '/root', which should get all your documents...
I do not store any documents in the root, I put my docs in the mounted drive. I just want to backup puppy settings, desktop, and installed apps. Does /root contain all that?
...if your backup disk might sometimes not be mounted at backup time, I suggest you uncheck the "allow no hardlink reference"...
So, if my backup disk is always mounted at the time I do the backup, including the first time, and I leave the "allow no hardlink reference" option checked each time, then will I get the benefit of hardlinks? (btw, I cannot imagine why i would attempt a backup without my backup disk connected).
...By avoiding compression, they can be accessed and recovered by simply copying with any file manager....
Is that true, if I will ONLY be doing a complete restore of the entire OS? I do not need to access individual files, just the whole thing. I've read that rsync backup with compression is a bit faster than uncompressed, which would be cool. How DO we restore a compressed rsync backup?

Thanks!

lstandish

#138 Post by lstandish »

johnywhy wrote: You're saying we fix things BEFORE restoring the backup? If i break the OS, I would not want to "fix" it, I would just want to do a complete restore of the whole OS to an earlier state.
By fix things I mean fix a failed hard drive. Actually as a Linux user I never think of restoring from a backup to fix configuration mistakes, only to recover deleted files, corrupt files, previous versions of files, or to recover from a failed hard drive.
Also, the way I prefer to use backup is to avoid reinstalling the OS. I've achieved that with a simple drag-copy of the personal save file, and hoped to achieve that with rsync, with the benefit of incremental backups. Is that not possible?
Not really. rsync will transfer files quickly by transferring only changed portions. rsync by itself is not "incremental." snap2, by using new backup storage only for changed and new files and allowing a series of "snapshots", can be thought of as "incremental," but if you are backing up a single huge file (Puppy save file) a new copy on disk will be necessary for every backup.
I do not store any documents in the root, I put my docs in the mounted drive. I just want to backup puppy settings, desktop, and installed apps. Does /root contain all that?
'/root' is the Puppy user 'home' directory and would be the default location to store documents and such. If you store them outside of puppy filesystem (on a /mnt/sdd1/ drive for example), that's OK too, and snap2 can always be used to back those up.
So, if my backup disk is always mounted at the time I do the backup, including the first time, and I leave the "allow no hardlink reference" option checked each time, then will I get the benefit of hardlinks? (btw, I cannot imagine why i would attempt a backup without my backup disk connected).
"Allow no hardlink reference" only allows a backup to proceed if there is no previous backup to use as a reference for the hardlinks. This option is used to avoid creating a full, non-hardlinked backup when the backup media is accidentally not connected. This can rather easily happen if the backup media is a USB drive. If your backup drive is always connected, you can safely leave this checked.
"...By avoiding compression, they can be accessed and recovered by simply copying with any file manager...."

Is that true, if I will ONLY be doing a complete restore of the entire OS? I do not need to access individual files, just the whole thing.
I think your best bet would be to use snap2 to backup the Puppy save file. You could use mirror mode to keep only a single backup, if you don't have room for more. Or there might be other backup tools that are better suited to what you want.
I've read that rsync backup with compression is a bit faster than uncompressed, which would be cool. How DO we restore a compressed rsync backup?
You'd have to uncompress it first. You'd need an OS for that, of course! You would boot Puppy from CD, install, then decompress the save file to the right place.

johnywhy

#139 Post by johnywhy »

as a Linux user I never think of restoring from a backup to fix configuration mistakes, only to recover deleted files, corrupt files, previous versions of files, or to recover from a failed hard drive.
Me too. Who said anything about mistakes? Puppy is not a rock solid platform. I've had to reinstall many times, thus losing all my apps and settings. I now drag copy the PSF before making changes, to easily restore the OS if it breaks, without having to reinstall the OS. But takes time and disk space. Hoped rsync/snap2 would give me a better solution-- sounds like not.
rsync will transfer files quickly by transferring only changed portions.
Sounds great. If "incremental" is the wrong word to use, my bad (although I have seen "incremental" used on more than one discussion of rsync). Are you saying rsync does or does not backup only changed files? Unclear. Also, you're saying snap2 is more "incremental" than rsync, or saves space better than rsync?
if you are backing up a single huge file (Puppy save file) a new copy on disk will be necessary for every backup.
The puppy file system directory IS the puppy save file, is it not? Isn't backing up the file system equivalent to backing up the PSF? I'm no puppy expert. is reinstalling puppy the only way to benefit from an rsync "incremental" backup?
/root' is the Puppy user 'home' directory and would be the default location to store documents and such. If you store them outside of puppy filesystem (on a /mnt/sdd1/ drive for example), that's OK too, and snap2 can always be used to back those up.
nice, but not trying to backup my docs. Trying to backup the OS. Again, does /root contain puppy desktop, configuration, and installed apps? Sorry for my ignorance.
"Allow no hardlink reference" only allows a backup to proceed if there is no previous backup to use as a reference for the hardlinks.
then wouldn't that mean that leaving it checked would prevent backup attempts after the first one? Sounds like what you're saying.
I think your best bet would be to use snap2 to backup the Puppy save file.
What's the advantage of that, over drag copy?
You'd have to uncompress it first. You'd need an OS for that
Thats why I dual boot.

Sounds like snap2/rsync cannot be used for "incremental" backups of the OS :(

lstandish

#140 Post by lstandish »

1. Ok, I mean I don't use a backup program to recover a broken OS. As a sys admin, I find Debian suits me better than Puppy, and it never breaks. I promote Puppy for those whose computer use is less technical.

2. rsync alone is not incremental, although it can be used to back up only new/changed files, if that's what you mean. That will result in a single backup. snap2 is "more" incremental because it allows a series of backups.

3. "The puppy file system directory IS the puppy save file, is it not?" Yes and no. It is an "overlay" containing all the files that have changed or been added to the puppy RAM-based filesystem. Puppy RAM filesystem + save file = current state of filesystem. Reverting to a previous version of the save file will do what you want.

4. Lloyd: "Allow no hardlink reference" only allows a backup to proceed if there is no previous backup to use as a reference for the hardlinks."
then wouldn't that mean that leaving it checked would prevent backup attempts after the first one? Sounds like what you're saying.
Golly, no. I'll put it another way: check it to *allow* a backup that will take up as much backup storage as the original files, in case a previous backup is not found. Uncheck it to *force* it to use hardlinks, meaning it will not do a backup at all if it can't locate a previous backup to use for the hardlinks. If unclear, just leave it checked and don't worry. It is only a convenience feature.

5. The advantage of snap2 for backing up a Puppy save file would be that only changed portions need be transferred, but it would take just as much backup storage as a regular copy. Also snap2 can automatically keep several older versions for you, automatically deleting the oldest. Maybe this is not enough advantage to make it worthwhile.

6. "Sounds like snap2/rsync cannot be used for "incremental" backups of the OS"
A series of save file backups can be automatically stored: yes. Incremental: No.

I finished fixing the bug in snap2 that caused backup exclusions not to work for the root directory ('/'), but some testing will necessary because the changes were not trivial.