Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 06:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Quirky 002 feedback
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec 2009, 17:16    Post subject:  

Yes I'm also glad about Geany being default, saves me installing it also Smile
ttuuxxx

Jim1911

PostPosted: Tue 22 Dec 2009, 17:18    Post subject:
Subject description: Black screen

Using Rox and selecting /usr/share/applications results in a black screen. It appears to work correctly except for that one directory. Menu/Shutdown/Restart X server, restores the desktop.

The directory can be accessed using a console.
Terryphi

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec 2009, 02:27    Post subject:
Subject description: Black screen

Jim1911 wrote:
Using Rox and selecting /usr/share/applications results in a black screen. It appears to work correctly except for that one directory. Menu/Shutdown/Restart X server, restores the desktop.

The directory can be accessed using a console.

Jim1911: I am able to select /usr/share/applications without any unexpected behaviour.
charlie6

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec 2009, 03:32    Post subject:  

Hi,
thanks again to Barry for this !
on FujiSiemens (see characteristics in left margin under my avatar) with intel onboard video card 845G:
boot from live-cd + choice belgian keyboards + BE € shows:
- XOrg test answers OK; after Ctrl-backspace the screen remains black and no more mouse cursor; note: the here displayed horizonral frequency = 0 Hz (whereas it is not zero in xorg.conf file.)
- at this stage, Alt-Ctrl-backspace to go to command line; entering xorgwizard, etc... leads to screens for restarting XOrg: those screens looks bigger as the foot of the page lies under the bottom rim of the screen - i.e. the <OK> <TEST> <...> key are no more visible.
- I cannot succed in booting Quirky 002 on that PC.

Cheers

To Barry and all puppy developpers/users/newbies....wishes for pretty Xtmas time and 2010 newyear full of all kinds of projects and joys.
Sage

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec 2009, 05:47    Post subject:  

Quote:
on FujiSiemens ....
- XOrg test answers OK; after Ctrl-backspace ... xorgwizard, etc... leads to screens for restarting XOrg: t... I cannot succed in booting Quirky 002 on that PC.

Puzzled? I thought BK said only VESA was working at present? Either way, using Intel chipset, cpu and esp. onboard video, unless gifted, represents double foot-shooting. Only thing worse would be all of these in a laptop.....

Think WINTEL, think criminal cartel, say NO THANKS.
Firefox

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec 2009, 07:10    Post subject: cd burn  

If you burn a quirky cd as closed then a kernel panic occurs - unable to switch root. The disc has to be burned multisession. I think this is true for some other puppies as well.
sasaqqdan

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec 2009, 10:19    Post subject:  

ldd check result:
libGL.so.1 => not found
libGLU.so.1 => not found
libglut.so.3 => not found
libSDL-1.2.so.0 => not found
libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0 => not found

chinese quirky:
JustGreg

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec 2009, 21:25    Post subject:
Subject description: Works better on my Pc2Go

I still found the resolutionfix not being setup at first boot. Using the resolutionfix file from Puppy 4.3.1 fixed it. One has to copy the resolutionfix file to etc directory. Yes, I did see the post on this problem by Barry for Quirky 001. I will have to delete the copied file and try Barry post.

Good news is the wireless networking worked fine the first time. My normal WPA2 connection script worked without a hitch.

I need to try to get the web camera to work. My test script that uses ffmpeg does not work. ffmpeg complains it does not have -vd option. I will try an older version ffmpeg and see it helps. It has in the past.

Quirky 002 does look nice on the small screen.

aarf

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec 2009, 05:58    Post subject:  

other than the slow touchpad, no issues. pretty good going but boring all the same.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
tronkel

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec 2009, 12:19    Post subject: Retro Quirky with k2.6.30.5  

I managed after several attempts to do a Woof build using Barry's latest Quirky Woof. I built it to use kernel version 2.6.30.5 since I wanted to try MU's ATI FGLRX dotpet to try to get the ATI radeon 3450 card. setup correctly. No success with this though.
Edit: The ATI card is working now. Had to un-disable GLX in xorg.conf.

I'm not really sure what I have ended up with though. I've either got a Quirky or a T2 Pup - LOL.

The ROX background is blue with the black-vg JWM theme. I used a mixture of the Woof GUI and the Woof scripts to get through the build.
The only package that is now missing is valide-2009.

In xorg.conf, the driver is listed as "vesa" and the screen size is 1400 x 900. This is the first time that I've been able to see 1400x900 using vesa without getting a rude message from the monitor about having an incorrect refresh rate. The aspect ratio though is incorrect here - but the video setup is in fact usable.

Sound worked first time and the whole thing is really fast. I downloaded Skype static version and it works really well.

Will play with it some more and see what happens

Edit: PupTV and Gxine now works in this T2 build. Not sure why, they didn't work in Quirky. May have been a video driver issue. FGLRX having been installed seems to have cured the problem - or a kernel issue with k2.6.31?

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec 2009, 19:25    Post subject:  

Tronkel,
Note that 2.6.30.x is the oldest that should be used for Tpup/Quirky builds. This is because T2 uses 2.6.30 kernel headers for compiling gcc and libc -- and these can be troublesome if a iso is built with an older kernel than the version used when compiling. An older kernel might work, but there might be issues -- I have personally experienced this problem.

drblock2

PostPosted: Sat 26 Dec 2009, 08:19    Post subject: Quirky 0.0.2
Subject description: XVESA, Pnethood, CUPS

Running Quirky 2 off a live-cd. Generally looks good, but

1. XVESA is very slow so that screen update when scrolling is not smooth. This is particularly noticeable with Sea Monkey.

2. Pnethood still has the bug inherited from Quirky 1 and Puppy 4.3.1. Unprotected network drives will not open unless something (any character at all) is typed into the log-in and password boxes.

3. CUPS does not display the smb//: option for connecting a network printer.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to Quirky 3.
tronkel

PostPosted: Sat 26 Dec 2009, 08:33    Post subject:  

Downloaded and installed the SoftMaker 2008 package for Linux.
I installed it as a DEB via the dotpet Package Manager. Installed perfectly including the menu icons (all appeared under their correct menu category).

This is a nice package. Only minor issue I can see so far are rather thin-looking fonts in the chrome toolbar. There must be some config file somewhere that can fix this.

Default printer has to be run via the lpr -P "name of your printer" command. I then got a printout from the Brother DCP-7030 3-in-one with no problem.

This Puppy/Softmaker combination would be a marriage made in heaven.
Hope it all works out with the licensing issues.

Next skittle to knock down is to get the Brother scanner to work. I have always successfully got the scanner to work using the proprietary Brother scanner driver from http://solutions.brother.com

This time seems not to want to play for some reason. Has worked in every k2.6.30.5 distro I have tried so far. Anyone else got any ideas on this?

If there is any interest in this T2 k2.6.30.5 version I'll upload it somewhere so you can use it. Could also include SoftMaker (if permission to include is forthcoming from SoftMaker).

shinobar

PostPosted: Sat 26 Dec 2009, 10:51    Post subject: Pnethood without password  

drblock2 wrote:
2. Pnethood still has the bug inherited from Quirky 1 and Puppy 4.3.1. Unprotected network drives will not open unless something (any character at all) is typed into the log-in and password boxes.

Here is the code extracted from Puppy 4.3.1JP.
/usr/local/apps/pnethood/func_mount
Code:
# diff func_mount.old func_mount
1a2
> # 2sep09 by Masaki Shinomiya <shino@pos.to> allow username and pssword to be blank
23a25,26
> USER_PASS="guest"
> [ "$USERNAME" != "" ] && USER_PASS="username=${USERNAME},password=${PASSWORD}"
28c31
< mount-FULL -t cifs "//${IP}/${SHARE}" "${MOUNTPOINT}" -o "${SERVERNETBIOSNAME}username=${USERNAME},password=${PASSWORD},iocharset=utf8" 2>>${TMP}log
---
> mount-FULL -t cifs "//${IP}/${SHARE}" "${MOUNTPOINT}" -o "${SERVERNETBIOSNAME}$USER_PASS,iocharset=utf8" 2>>${TMP}log
34c37
< smbmount "//${IP}/${SHARE}" "${MOUNTPOINT}" -o "username=${USERNAME},password=${PASSWORD}" 2>>${TMP}log >>/dev/null # redirecting stdout needed to lose init_iconv encoding conversion error messages
---
> smbmount "//${IP}/${SHARE}" "${MOUNTPOINT}" -o "$USER_PASS" 2>>${TMP}log >>/dev/null # redirecting stdout needed to lose init_iconv encoding conversion error messages
func_mount.gz
Description  /usr/local/apps/pnethood/func_mount
gz

Download 
Filename  func_mount.gz 
Filesize  1.19 KB 
Downloaded  521 Time(s) 
infectiia

PostPosted: Sat 26 Dec 2009, 14:03    Post subject:  

Sage wrote:
Quite a cute little beast. No d/l or the other problems reported elsewhere.
However, it still remains the only distro that doesn't shut down properly on all chipsets. Since every other developer has fixed this, be it kernel-based or w.h.y., this project should, in my opinion, halt until someone sufficiently knowledgeable fixes it. Recent threads have at last identified this flaw as one the biggest concerns of users.
Furthermore, since NatWest Bank declines to support SM, despite my own dislike of this Mozilla offering, it is a show terminator. NatWest/RBS/Coutts/DirectLine/etc/etc, a group with a very motley history, remains a very large international operation - one of the Big Four retail banks. Either Puppy/SM needs to conform to the NatWest list or persuade them to extend their list to SM.
Ironically, if the problem occurred in Opera, that browser has the facility to emulate any other!
Maybe there are a bundle of pressing intricacies of code to fix, but these two aspects are major trees in the wood. As such, we need a 'down tools' until they are addressed.

Just my luck. I love puppy with seamonkey and installing the new one with firefox has caused me nothing but problems, and ive only had to do it so i can access the bank website. I think ill try opera for a while until theres a decision made somewhere. Confused
Page 3 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: