[ ANNOUNCE ] src2pkg-2.0 released Easiest PET packages

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
amigo

[ ANNOUNCE ] src2pkg-2.0 released Easiest PET packages

#1 Post by amigo »

Hello Folks! A new release of src2pkg is out and it now supports building new or old-style PET packages with a single command. You can download, configure, compile, strip, compress and split and install packages with a single command.
No more excuses for not creating your own high-quality PET packages -even if you don't know how to do even one of the above steps, src2pkg does...

src2pkg is now available as an installable PET, so if you have installed the development files for Puppy, you can get started easily. Just install the PET of src2pkg, then run the command 'src2pkg --setup' to prepare src2pkg for work on your system. The command compiles a library and a handful of small binaries which src2pkg then uses to create packages on your system. This means that src2pkg is alway tailored to work on your system, no matter what version your are running.

src2pkg can now create Slackware or KISS *.tgz, *.tbz, *.tlz or *.txz packages, and *.rpm or *.deb packages, *.tazpkg packages for slitaz. And it can create PET or PET2 packages for Puppy. (The PET2 format is what I called the option for building woof-style packages).

If you have machines running any of these other systems, src2pkg itself is available as an instalable package for all the types of systems.

The installable PET package is here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... rch-16.pet
Other formats and the full sources are under the same folder.

Once you have installed src2pkg and run 'src2pkg --setup', you can get a quick example of how it works with this command:
src2pkg -PET http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... c2pkg.auto

or:
src2pkg -PET http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 11.tar.bz2

Questions or comments to:
Gilbert <amigo@ibiblio.org>
Last edited by amigo on Wed 23 Dec 2009, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.

big_bass

#2 Post by big_bass »

Hey Gilbert

thanks

I removed the link so you can keep it updated

I got the PM
Joe
Last edited by big_bass on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

amigo

#3 Post by amigo »

Correct, you are, Joe. there was a small problem that had to be fixed right away for the Slackware package, and I forgot to come back here and update the link. Thanks for catching that.

gronos04

#4 Post by gronos04 »

Hi amigo, thanks for your updated src2pkg.
Running the example given I get this error

sh-3.00# src2pkg -PET http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 11.tar.bz2
FATAL! Home directory was given as a critical src2pkg variable,
or is the current directory. Please read the src2pkg documentation for help.

Checked the documentation but nothing apparent.

amigo

#5 Post by amigo »

Sounds like you are trying to run it from right in your $HOME directory. Try creating an empty directory there -someting like $HOME/test and then run it from there. I usually have an area dedicated to building stuff which I use. src2pkg also sets up an area under /usr/Src2/src2pkg which you can use. Bets to always create a separate directory for each package you want to create since src2pkg will generate some files specific to that package which you ay want to keep. That way the materials for each package are always kept separate from any other builds.

gronos04

#6 Post by gronos04 »

thanks, that was it.
Works perfectly.

amigo

#7 Post by amigo »

src2pkg tries to keep you running from a safe and sane location. Since it runs 'rm -rf' at times, it won't let you run from right in your $HOME -even though it runs that in the most careful way possible. There is a whole list of places where it disallows use -like any main system dirs. Once long ago, a user asked for help and he was running src2pkg from under /usr/share or some place like that. I'll say again, it is always best to run each build from a unique directory -this allows you to even run several builds at once without one build 'stepping' on another.