I can't hear sound-Acer Laptop

Booting, installing, newbie
Joshm

I can't hear sound-Acer Laptop

#1 Post by Joshm »

Hi,
I'm trying to get the sound to work on my:
Acer Note Light 370 PC P133 which has a ESS1688-Soundchip. I found a module on the internet: (http://www.huwig.de/linux/acer_ess1688.c) and put it in /root/ and then did "insmod /root/acer_ess1688" into the console command-prompt-type-thing which told me no such file. I tried renaming the file .o instaed of .c but it said it wasn't a valid ELF file. I saw some other sites addressing my laptop's soundcard problem but they were just too confusing to understand. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or if there is a easier solution? I saw some stuff about ALSA but I'm not sure how to install it or anything :oops: If anyone has a tutorial or something I would be grateful as I've never used linux in my life so it's a little bit confusing :oops:

Thanks

jcoder24

#2 Post by jcoder24 »

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

These early ESS chipsets are fully SoundBlaster compatible, so the OSS audio driver for them is sb.o. OSS drivers are already in Puppy, so you could simply first try -
modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 isapnp=0
You could also try dma=0.

Personally, I use ALSA with my ESS ES1879 chip, but if OSS works there's no need to go for ALSA.

That customised acer_ess1688.c module you tried to use was from 1998, to suit pre 2.0.31 kernels!