Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 24 Sep 2017, 11:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Blank prompt screen after hard drive installation.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
ppenguin

PostPosted: Tue 15 Dec 2009, 23:01    Post subject:  Blank prompt screen after hard drive installation.  

The machine is not too old, cerelon 650MHz with 512Mb of ram and a 10 Gb hard drive. Puppy starts up from live CD without any problem but after installing it into the hard drive and remove the CD, puppy will not start at all. I'm stuck at a blank screen with a flashing underscroll _

Here's the step I took to install puppy

- boot from live CD

- run universal set up, partition my hard drive into 3
--- 0. 2Gb where the puppy is installed
--- 1. 7Gb not yet used
--- 2. 1Gb linux swap

-Install default grub into partition 0

- restart computer, remove live CD

- no luck whether I save my session to the hard drive or not.

There's 2 lines of text displaying really fast that I can not read, before it cuts to this blank prompt screen.

I got puppy working on a few other machines now but really got stuck on this one. Been reinstalling a few times without any luck.

Any help appreciate. Thanks.

= Edit =
while at the blank screen, I tried inserting the live CD and press enter. I got the message "searching for boot sec from CD" or something similar, and the boot continues. Then I was able to get into puppy.

I was unable to unmount the hard drive which looks like it is loading from the drive.

If I remove the live CD and restart, I would get stuck at the blank screen again.

Looks like the machine is only able to get into puppy with the CD inserted.
davids45

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec 2009, 00:50    Post subject:  

G'day,

Can I query your hard-drive partitioning values?

The drive is a 10GB unit but I only see about 5GB partitioned.

Assuming you want a full install, I'd set aside about 2GB for a full Puppy install as a minimum, and only use about 0.5GB for a swap file/partition as you have a lot of RAM (in Puppy terms).

I suspect it is not possible to install a Puppy into only 200MB. How about trying something like sda1 as 3GB (put Puppy here), 6GB for sda2 as storage/archive/frugals/anything, and 1GB or less as sda3 for a swap (which may never get used)?

David S.
nubc

PostPosted: Wed 16 Dec 2009, 04:26    Post subject:  

Sounds like you did not install grub to MBR, which is mildly risky but still recommended. OR, perhaps you did install grub to MBR, but were confused by the grub boot menu on the first reboot, and reinstalled grub to a partition. I hope you have allotted more than 0.2 GB for the installation of Puppy. For a full install, this partition should be the largest partition. Your linux swap partition is way too large at 2.1 GB, shouldn't be more than 500 MB (my opinion). Is this a full install or a frugal install?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: