XorgWizard development

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
J_Rey

XorgWizard development

#1 Post by J_Rey »

How about we use this topic to discuss problems and fixes for the X.Org video wizard that Barry is developing?

For starters, xorgwizard is a script that Barry created for making it easier to set up X.Org in releases starting with 1.0.7. It automatically detects what you currently have on your system and how you'd like to set it up. Also X.Org comes with another script called xorgconfig that asks detailed questions that you would need to get your video card and monitor's manuals out to answer. They both create an configuration file for X.Org called xorg.conf. You may need to edit it manually if neither work properly. See also the related X.Org documentation (Puppy 1.0.7 uses X.Org 6.8.1). You can also use the Xorg Video Wizard under the Setup section of the Start menu to access some of the above.

Other people, including me, have had problems with X.Org when using video cards with Intel chipsets (the i810 and higher driver).

XorgWizard problems have been previously reported at:
1.0.7a: update for XorgWizard, 15Dec2005
1.0.7a: update for xorgwizard
Test Pup 1.0.7alpha released
the Puppy Linux developers news page

pakt

Re: XorgWizard development

#2 Post by pakt »

J_Rey wrote: XorgWizard problems have been previously reported at:
1.0.7a: update for XorgWizard, 15Dec2005
1.0.7a: update for xorgwizard
Test Pup 1.0.7alpha released
the Puppy Linux developers news page
J_Rey, you can add 1.0.7b: Xorg just doesn't work for me to the list of xorgwizard problems.

The funny thing is, MU's xorg682c.pup works just fine on my old Intel 815 PC, but Puppy 107's xorgwizard just comes to a point where it produces colored vertical lines and hangs the computer. Apparently the same bug Flash ran into.

M.Gregg

Xorg

#3 Post by M.Gregg »

Hello all,

I have the same problem with the screen fading into lines and going white, but this is using 1.0.7 Final in usb boot from wake pup. Puppy runs ok at start but at shutdown the screen does this strange fade..its not a running problem but it is hard to tell if anything is wrong at shutdown. Xorg works in all other computers using C.D multisession and usb bios standard boot.

Regards
Michael

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Anyone is welcome to study the wizard and try and improve it!

I've already got some ideas, and will work on those soon.
The good thing is, as xorgwizard is in /usr/X11R6/bin, we can upgrade it without having to upgrade Puppy.

So, expect a new xorgwizard in the not to distant future!