How do I add the analogue 'clockskins' to pwidgets?

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
Mike Walsh

How do I add the analogue 'clockskins' to pwidgets?

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

I feel like a complete 'noob' for having to ask this, but....

How do I add clockskins to pwidgets, so I can have a better selection to choose from? I'm guessing it requires some editing, somewhere, but I really don't know where I need to look.

Running 'Tahrpup' 6.01 here. pWidgets works nicely.....with ONE exception. Every time I re-boot, the analogue clock disappears. Anybody have any advice on this?

Thanks!

Regards,

Mike.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Mike, dwnld a pkg from here, extract it, say, anywhere and study it's file structure..

You'll quickly understand the answer >> ~/.pwidgets/clock_skins.

Mind your extensions when dwnlding via browser..
Attachments
this-pkg-dwnldd-and-extracted-2-tmp.jpg
(32.63 KiB) Downloaded 327 times

Keisha

clock skins in pwidgets

#3 Post by Keisha »

One picture is worth a thousand words.

It's a subdirectory of my Quirky Unicorn full install, into which I've transplanted pwidgets.

The clock skins are in /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins. Maybe pwidgets can find clock skins in more than one place. Try here, if Semme's suggestion doesn't work.

My personal favorites are Clockface-144, dejan-black, Golden_Square-144, Plainclock-144-gray, Plainclock-144-reversed, and XonClock-144.
Attachments
2015-02-10-092346_576x660_scrot.png
where the pwidgets clock skins are
(108.43 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Last edited by Keisha on Tue 10 Feb 2015, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

Moat

#4 Post by Moat »

Mike -

/usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins should be the directory where clock skins are located - just drop the ones you want in there, and remove the ones you don't. Should then be available in the skin chooser window that opens next time you re-load an analog clock into the right pane of the Pwidgets GUI.

IIRC, somewhere deep in the thread Semme posted is available a large pack or two (~8mb...??) of skins - some are excellent! I've even copied/modified/nabbed misc skins from the Window's Xwidgets app's clocks or gnome-look.org or wherever - to find what I like.

As far as the clock disappearing on boot, yes - an oddity. I seem to recall that there's a "sleep" command entry in one of the xonclock scripts (probably in or near /usr/local/pwidgets/xx ) that - by adding a few seconds to the existing setting - can often help. The clock seems a bit sensitive to all of the process activity that happens during the "building" of the desktop on booting.

Bob

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

Then I guess Mike, mine don't count. :D:wink::roll:
One picture is worth a thousand words.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Moat

#6 Post by Moat »

Whoop - Kiesha beat me to it!

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Still, you can learn a lot by extracting pkgs.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Keisha

clock skins in pwidgets --location changed awhile back

#8 Post by Keisha »

Awhile back the default clock skins location was changed:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 568#315568
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

Moat

#9 Post by Moat »

Semme wrote:Then I guess Mike, mine don't count. :D:wink::roll:
Semme - I think ~/.pwidgets/clock_skins are where the currently running Pwidgets' skins are placed - but only temporarily, as part of what the current config dictates. If the configuration/selection changes, the newly selected skin is pulled from the primary storage dir - /usr/local/pwidgets/widgets/clock_skins - and copied there.

I *think* that's how it works, anyways...

Bob

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, now; that's a bunch of very quick replies!

Thanks for replying, everybody.

@keisha:- Thanks for that. I was aware of the location of the clockskins files; what I'd like to do is download some of Dejan555's clock-skins (a few of which I REALLY like), but what I can't figure out is how you actually get them from the page into the 'skins' folder. There's no 'download' button (told ya I was still a 'noob'!), so what do I do? Save the image? Copy & paste? (Correction: some are downloadable, but others aren't.....these are the ones I'm having problems with!)

@Moat:-

Where do I find the xonclock file? I'll have a look at it, see if I can figure out where to add a few seconds extra...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been messing around with 'puters in general since the very start of the home PC revolution, in the late 1970's.....probably tried just about every O/S going in that time, but only started with Linux last May. My 'main' O/S is Ubuntu 'Trusty', but I discovered the Puppies in August, and have been playing about with 'em on and off till October, when 'Tahrpup' came out. It worked 'out-of-the-box' on my ancient Dell Inspiron (an original 1100, circa 2002), which has a PITA Intel graphics card. I was SO impressed with it, I've done a frugal alongside Ubuntu on the internal HD, and dual boot 'Trusty' alongside 'Tahrpup'.

Haven't had so much fun in years.Of couse, there's a bit of a learning curve, but nothing I can't handle. I'm steadily growing more proficient with Linux as the months go by.....I now have the two 'Tahrpup' installs sharing files (courtesy of rcrsn51's Samba-TNG fork), and the Dell network prints off the 'big' Compaq desktop's printer.

I'm very enamoured with the Puppies...

Regards,

Mike.

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

On second thought, Bob can wrap it.
Last edited by Semme on Thu 12 Feb 2015, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

Moat

#12 Post by Moat »

Mike Walsh wrote:... so what do I do? Save the image? Copy & paste?
Yep - basically it. Just right-click the image, select "Save Image As..." into a local directory... then copy/paste it into Pwidgets skin dir.

Here's the link to Dejan's post with the mega skin pack - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 124#366124

If Semme's sleep fix doesn't "stick" between switching and start/stopping Pwidgets while playing with skins & configs, there's another .xonclockrc at /usr/local/pwidgets/install/.xonclockrc that might need to be modified, too (possibly, it's the one that Pwidgets references to re-write the /root/.xonclockrc that Semme suggests, during changing of clock configs).

Bob

Keisha

clock skin save utility

#13 Post by Keisha »

01micko made a clock skin save utility awhile back:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 450#387450

Plainclock-144 with the colors reversed, clock arm colors dark, is pretty cool:
Attachments
Plainclock-144-reversed.png.gz
Plainclock-144 with the colors reversed
(18.93 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

Keisha

clock skin dejan-transparent

#14 Post by Keisha »

dejan-black with black rendered transparent is also nice:
Attachments
dejan-transparent.png.gz
dejan-transparent clock skin
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

Moat

#15 Post by Moat »

Semme - nooo! You are right, sir - /root/.xonclockrc is it. I just have a vague recollection of my changes there being somehow re-written back to default settings a time or two, after fiddling about (too) heavily in the Pwidgets GUI. It seemed a very rare occurrence, in any case.

Attached a few of my favorite, plain-ish clock skins...

Bob

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Moat wrote:Semme - nooo! You are right, sir - /root/.xonclockrc is it. I just have a vague recollection of my changes there being somehow re-written back to default settings a time or two, after fiddling about (too) heavily in the Pwidgets GUI. It seemed a very rare occurrence, in any case.

Attached a few of my favorite, plain-ish clock skins...

Bob
Found /root/xonclockrc myself, last night. Tried altering the 'sleep' time from 0 to 10, then 5, then 3.....

In each case, the clock would start after the specified interval. Curiously, however, after that same number of seconds, it would then promptly disappear again..... I'm obviously doing something wrong, but not too sure what!

@ semme:-

Any ideas on this one? :?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like your skins, Bob..! You're like me; you want to actually USE the clock, as opposed to admiring it as a work of art...

I LOVE some of dejan's skins, but I wouldn't want to actually try and read them many, many times a day.....

Regards,

Mike.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

*Ideas?* Sure! What I wanna know is.. :D What happened to your posse?

Moat

#18 Post by Moat »

Semme wrote:*Ideas?* Sure! What I wanna know is.. :D What happened to your posse?
Hiding here in the canyon underbrush, awaiting your input on the matter... :P

(I.e. - well beyond this newb's understanding. Gunfight between xonclock, rox desktop/pinboard and/or xorg - with xonclock losing the shootout?)

Bob

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Yeah Bob, well.. I had to *trigger* you guys somehow. :D:wink:

Moat

#20 Post by Moat »

Well, I'm away from Pup ATM - but this newb (me) would probably stop Pwidgets from the GUI, and re-start it via terminal, looking for clues in any errors burped out if/when xonclock disappears. Not sure what the terminal command would be... for that, guess I'd look in the corresponding Pwidgets start script in /root/Startup (fixwidgets_something_or_other, I think?).

Warm? These desert canyons git cold - fast - at sundown. Trigger finger's freezin' up... :)

Bob