Unable to connect to internet (frugal install; optus cable)

Booting, installing, newbie
fernan

#16 Post by fernan »

One last check:

In your windows, open a DOS console, and type

Code: Select all

C:\>ipconfig /all
And check the settings that Windows is using, and compare it with the settings Puppy uses.

gposil,
The /etc/resolv.conf file should contain you DNS server list from your ISP or whichever DNS servers you use....
I agree with that, but my resolv.conf file contains only 192.168.1.1, and my modem-router deals with the ISP DNS and resolves everything...

tungpham

#17 Post by tungpham »

I saw 2 /etc/resolv.conf files, the one I can open is with nameserver = 192.168.1.1 which is similar with the ipconfig/all in DOS. ANother /etc/resolv.conf file which is bold. I can open it

fernan

#18 Post by fernan »

a file with the name in bold means that it was modified, but I don't know how you have 2 files with the same name in the same place. There must be a difference between them.

I can see your windows settings in your previous post...
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.3 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:0F:EA:33:67:51

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.1
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
your windows is working OK via DHCP, and the DHCP server is 192.168.1.1
This same settings should be OK for Puppy.
Try puppy as Live CD in this same computer ignoring any saved session (puppy pfix=ram), using DHCP. Then try using an static IP (192.168.1.10 , default gateway 192.168.1.1, DNS server 192.168.1.1 or your ISP DNS servers) and try another puppy version. I really don' t know what is going wrong.

tungpham

#19 Post by tungpham »

I tried what you advised but it is not working

linbie

#20 Post by linbie »

Hi

I had the same problem after my frugal install (dual boot with WIN XP).

The connection wizard was great with a live CD but following Frugal it would see my wireless LAN device, it would find the network but would not connect. After a number of attempts at restarting the wizard it would simply fail to load.

I used the Pwireless connector (in the network menu) - it found my device, network and connects each time. It doesn't store my profile so have to scan for the network each time.

Have a look at the Network menu to see if there is another application that suits

Linbie (LINex newBIE)

fernan

#21 Post by fernan »

tungpham:
You said that this already works,
I tried to ping one of the DNS numbers the ping is O.K
Ping Localhost is O.K,but still not connected to the internet
I can ping www.google.com is OK, but unable to use internet
but try again:

ping google.com
ping sion.com
If the first works, you are connected and the problem is something else. Perhaps a browser configuration. try a different browser or FTP client to connect to any ftp server.
if it doesn't work, try

ping  74.125.157.104
ping 200.69.46.97
if this work, so it's a DNS solving issue.

If nothing of this works, you are not connected to the web, so please detail us again how are you connected (every device and connection involved) and, again, if you are using the same PC to run windows and Puppy.[/b]

linbie

If you can get connected, and puppy doesn't save your settings, it's another problem related to saving settings. You can search the forum or check that your puppy is saving your sessions (do any other configuration change, and check if it's saved)

tungpham

#22 Post by tungpham »

I contacted Optus (ISP) who advises the internet is working with Win XP . It means that the problem of Puppy itself settings not from their ends. They advised me to ask you where to find the 'modem chipset for Motorolla SB5101 '. Apprecication if you could help me where to find this chipset. Many thanks

fernan

#23 Post by fernan »

Please, try what I suggest in the previous message and post the results, specially detail how is your computer phisically connected to internet (modems, routers, hubs, wireless), if you use some user and password in XP, and if you are running XP and PUPPY in the same computer.
They advised me to ask you where to find the 'modem chipset for Motorolla SB5101 '
I would forget about that. Your card is already detected because you already ping some IPs and it works.

I'm sure the solution is much more simple that we think.

tungpham

#24 Post by tungpham »

physical connections:

1. Internet from Motorrolla (cable box, ISP)
Netcomm VOIP (with router connected to Motorrola) where LAN to computer 1 where Win XP connected. It is OK for internet. Puppy USB boot from computer 1.

2. I tried another way is that connection computer 1 direct from Motorolla box AND Puppy USB boot from computer 1 . Both physical connections internet connection are not successful. I also tried to connect my hp laptop to one of the LAN from Netcomm. the result is the same. NO INTERNET

Result from ping 74.125.167.104 is O.K ( 64 bytes from ....... seq=75) is O.K.

I ping sion.com the result is O.K from my laptop

fernan

#25 Post by fernan »

I have news for you..
Do this looks familiar to you?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1640933/P1040421.JPG

Here in Argentina, those modems are usually configured by ISP providers using the MAC Address of only one network card in your computer, and will work only with that card in that Computer. They never told me that, even when I asked very specifically. They always aswer that the service is working OK. I had to discover it by myself.
That's the reason why I asked if you are using the same PC to boot Puppy and XP.
I think the problem can be related to that, or other similar setting used in your country
My router comes with an option called "MAC Address clone", thats allow to emulate the MAC Address of the main computer where my ISP installed the service.
Anyway,
I ping sion.com the result is O.K from my laptop
If you can ping google.com and sion.com, I guess you are connected to internet, and your DNS servers are resolving that names, so they are correct, but could be some blocking from your ISP that detects that you are not using the same computer they installed the first time.

I ASSUME THAT YOUR MODEM IS CONNECTED TO YOUR PC (OR ROUTER) BY THE ETHERNET PORT.

BOOTING PUPPY LIVE CD IN "ram" (puppy pfix=ram) FROM THE SAME COMPUTER WHERE YOUR ISP (OR YOURSELF USING ANY SETUP CD) INSTALLED THE SERVICE, CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO MOTOROLA MODEM FROM THE SAME NETWORK CARD WHERE YOU INSTALLED THE SERVICE, JUST USING DHCP IN PUPPY, SHOULD WORK OK. I DID IT HUNDRED OF TIMES. If not, try a different version of puppy. Once this works, you cad add routers and other computers later....

When you install a router in the middle, be sure to DISABLE DHCP SERVER in your router, so the only DHCP server in the network is your Motorola box, and depending your configuration, DON'T USE THE "internet" or "WAN" port of your router, just connect everything including Motorola modem to the "LAN" ports.
Also be sure that your modem and your router have different IPs. Most devices come with a default 192.168.1.1 , so if you have 2 devices with the same IP, your computer won't find the right gateway.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1640933/P1040424.JPG

Edited (again): Here I found that the default IP of your modem is 192.168.100.1
http://www.speedguide.net/broadband-view.php?hw=6
So, if your default gateway is 192.168.1.1 , I guess that the problem is your router acting as DHCP server. Take off the router by now, just plug puppy to Modem as described above. Once this works, we'll install the router later.

Edited: I was reading a bit about your Voip router..
http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-products/voip/v200
and I didn't see any "MAC adress clone" feature. It could be a problem with some Cable ISPs...
As an example, this router comes with Mac adress clone feature: (look in page 47)
http://www.netcomm.com.au/__data/assets ... 220-UG.pdf
Is your Voip phone working with your actual settings? To isolate the problem, try puppy without the router. What I said about disabling DHCP in your router could not apply to your Voip line.

tungpham

#26 Post by tungpham »

Thanks for your keen to help with many suggestions. Right now I have got time to try your advice.

I have tried different version of Puppy it is not working.
I tried to connect Motorolla Box direcly to the computer ( I left out VOIP box) it is not working.
I will try all your suggestions when I got more times

Many thanks for your help

fernan

#27 Post by fernan »

Hi,
I really don't know what can be wrong. Ethernet connection between Motorola modem and puppy should work fine. Check with puppy 2.16 (the one I used with SB5101)
If it doesn't work, do some testing to see if puppy can connect to other PC in your LAN (static IP both PCs connected through your router's LAN ports)

I was reading a bit about Optus cable here:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=OptusNet%20FAQ
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=ONC_switchusb
And it seems that the service is not limited to one Mac Address in your PC. It says that every time you change a device (diferent card, diferent PC, add a router) you need to power-off your modem, hold 10 seconds, start it again.

In that case you could use your router's WAN port, and DHCP.

tungpham

#28 Post by tungpham »

Now I can connect to internet. The problem is not relating Optus Cable, but the V200 Netcomm with VOIP not allow Puppy connected to internet. I bought a router connected to Optus cable modem, and connected Puppy through the LAN. And it works.
Many thanks for your kindly support