Hot Backup for Frugal Pups Updated 2011-10-1

Miscellaneous tools
8-bit

#16 Post by 8-bit »

One thing that would be nice to have added to your script just after the line that clears the temporary file of the word "Done" after it is displayed for 4 seconds would be to add a line

Code: Select all

xmessage "Pupsave backup completed"
That way if I am away from the PC and have missed the "Done" message, I know the backup has completed.

abushcrafter

#17 Post by abushcrafter »

8-bit wrote:One thing that would be nice to have added to your script just after the line that clears the temporary file of the word "Done" after it is displayed for 4 seconds would be to add a line

xmessage "Pupsave backup completed"
That way if I am away from the PC and have missed the "Done" message, I know the backup has completed.
+1

don922

How to make it work ???????

#18 Post by don922 »

Puppy 4.12 frugal install

Downloaded and extracted hotbkp.tar.gz to ~/my-applications. This resulted in one file named Pupsave-backup in ~/my-applications.

There is no menu entries and when I click on the file nothing happens.

In the console

[~]/root/my-applications/Pupsave-backup
/root/my-applications/Pupsave-backup: line 204: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `)'
/root/my-applications/Pupsave-backup: line 316: syntax error: unexpected end of file
line 204: export PUPSAVE_HOT_BKP=$(cat <<EOV | sed -e 's/#.*//' # allow comments in gui
line 316: is blank

Any idea what is wrong? How is it fixed?

Fixed by downgrading bash to version 3.00.16(1) it had been upgraded to version 4.0.10(1).

Some dumb-dumb didn't pay attention to the 1st line of the 1st post or didn't remember upgrading bash...........Duh :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by don922 on Fri 23 Sep 2011, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

Baldlygo

Hot Backup

#19 Post by Baldlygo »

Just tried this hotbkp on my lupu520. It starts the gui OK and sees the right save file but then just stays there without showing any more info or allow any other clicks.

I do have Bash 3.00.16. Could my problem relate to me upgrading to gtkdialog3-0.7.20-patriot-e-1.pet ? (which I did to get lameSMBxplorer-0.2.3a.pet to work)

Paul
Lucid 5.20 - my preferred OS on old Dell Inspiron 8000 & Toshiba Tecra M5

2byte

#20 Post by 2byte »

Hello Baldygo

The utility was built for official 4x series pups and many things have changed since then. I'll take a look at upgrading it for 5x series, but no promises.

I do not recommend downgrading bash or gtkdialog in order to use this utility!

Baldlygo

Hot Backup

#21 Post by Baldlygo »

Thanks for quick reply Zbyte - I will be very keen to use it if you do upgrade.

Paul

8-bit

#22 Post by 8-bit »

Baldygo,
I run Puppy Lucid 520 with half of creation installed.
I do not understand why you say you had to upgrade gtkdialog3 as the Patriot version is already in by default.
Are you sure you have not installed a Pet of the development gtkdialog?

Also, Pupsave-backup works just fine for me.
Remember to save outside of your lupusave file though.

I will check on that to see.
I am back from running Pupsave-backup with the latest gtkdialog.
It works just fine.
So it must be something else you have installed that is causing problems or just maybe you got a bad download of hotbackup.
Try downloading and installing it again.

Baldlygo

Hot Backup - Gtkdialog

#23 Post by Baldlygo »

8-bit - I could not get lameSMBxplorer-0.2.3a to work and the console told me that gtkdialog3-0.7.20 was required. I found the gtkdialog3-07.20-patriot-e-1.pet, installed it and the xplorer and mount worked ok.

Please can you tell me how I can find "the latest gtkdialog" as a pet or how I can install it?

Paul

8-bit

#24 Post by 8-bit »

Where did you find that gtkdialog3.pet?
I want to check with your pet of it as I still do not think gtkdialog3 is the problem.

I just downloaded the beta version of lameSMBexplorer that you did and it works fine with gtkdialog3 that comes with Puppy Lucid 520.
So it sounds like your problem is somewhere else.
As to the latest version of gtkdialog, check with 01micko as it is a compiled binary file.
But as I said, I cannot seem to duplicate your problem with the applications and the only difference I can see is the strange version of gtkdialog3 you installed.

Baldlygo

Version of gtkdialog

#25 Post by Baldlygo »

8-bit wrote:Where did you find that gtkdialog3.pet?
I want to check with your pet of it as I still do not think gtkdialog3 is the problem.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01264 is where I found the pet which solved my previous problem.

Paul

8-bit

#26 Post by 8-bit »

I have now run both Pupsave-Backup and lameSMBxplorer-0.2.3a on Puppy Lucid 520. Both ran fine with the version of gtkdialog3 that is included in Lucid 520 without installing anything additional.
In the case of lameSMBxplorer, it found my only network share so I assume it works.
And Pupsave-Backup created a pupsave backup just fine in /mnt/home.
Also, as I was saying, make doubly sure you select an area outside of your lupusave/pupsave file as you cannot back up your pupsave to your pupsave with any form of success.

Anyway, I would uninstall the gtkdialog3 PET you got from Barry's site and try again with the one that is part of Lucid.
Also remember that the lameSMBxplorer you installed is in beta and feedback from users is requested as to problems you may encounter.
Have you tried starting it from a terminal/rxvt/urxvt to see if any error messages appear?

Baldlygo

Hot Backup - Gtkdialog

#27 Post by Baldlygo »

I've removed the Gtkdialog pet and lameSMBxplorer version with packetmanager. Then loaded an older version of lameSMBxplorer and that works ok for my network Linkstation.

When I run Pupsave-backup from the console it shows the gui ok - with savefile details but will not let me change anything. (eg location). When I quit the gui disappears but the console tells me it is repeatedly trying to cat a tmp file which does not exist.

I have run in ram and used a simple copy to a usb drive - which did not take too long and maybe is the simplest way to backup my 1G savefile.

Paul

8-bit

#28 Post by 8-bit »

I am curious as to why you are having problems.
In the first window that shows information, are you able to click on the folder icon and does it open a selection window?
Mine, when I start it looks like the attached jpg file. Pay attention to MB required and make sure it is less than MB available on xxxx.
If the destination does not have room, it will not work.
Attachments
pupsave-backup.jpg
My opening screen for Pupsave-backup.
(34.68 KiB) Downloaded 922 times

Baldlygo

Hot Backup

#29 Post by Baldlygo »

Well now it appears to be working for me :D
May be I did not wait long enough for the folders to show. Also I seemed to have the cat problem Quiting without running backup. Then it would not run a second time without reboot. I'll have another look at that when my first backup is completed.

Thanks again - Paul
Attachments
workinghotbck.jpeg
In progress as I post
(22.23 KiB) Downloaded 1056 times

8-bit

#30 Post by 8-bit »

Your backed up lupusave file will have date and time appended to the file name. To restore to a backup, you would copy it to your frugal subdirectory using something like
"cp [location of backup]/lupusave.3fs.BKP-11.10.24.09.38 /mnt/home/[puppy directory]/lupusave.3fs".
I would recommend doing this with Puppy booted with pfix=ram added temporarily to the kernel line.

2byte

#31 Post by 2byte »

Hello Baldygo and 8-bit

I have uploaded a new version. See the first post.

nooby

#32 Post by nooby »

Crazy noob question. if it is only 3.3 kb big then why does it need to be .tar.gz

during my later 3 years as a perennial noob I barely get what a .tar.gz is
and would not even touch such with a long pole for to not get badly bruised. :)

How big will it get if you let us download it as a pet or what to name it.

is it a pet or script? both maybe. What am I supposed to do with it?

Yes I know it pops up a GUI and it does Back Up that is why I want to
use it. But how does one install it if it is not a pet or sfs?

Edit Thanks for the .pet
Last edited by nooby on Sun 25 Sep 2011, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

keniv

#33 Post by keniv »

Hello 2byte

Have just downloaded and used version 1.1 with 258. It worked well but at the end I could not exit the gui screen as the "quit" button was greyed out. Would not close by clicking on "x" or right click "close" and I had to "kill" it to remove it. The file it generates is shown as executable. Is this correct? I know it would have to be renamed to be used as a savefile. Other than the small problem outlined above I think this is a great little program. At this small size it might even be worth including in any further updates of 258.

Regards,

Ken.

2byte

#34 Post by 2byte »

Hi nooby

It’s just a bash script. To make it easier for you I have uploaded it as a .pet. It will install the script to /root/my-applications/bin/. You can drag the Pupsave-backup file onto your desktop to make a shortcut to run it.

I had created a menu entry for it but there are problems with the menu system or something in lupu 5.28 and it will not run from the jwm menu there, so there is no menu entry for the installation.

2byte

#35 Post by 2byte »

Hello keniv

Had the green popup message appeared when you tried to close it? The Quit button should be greyed out only while the backup is in progress. And no, the backed up file should not be executable. See the pic below.

General thoughts: What type of system setup are you running? Partition type you are saving to? Bash and gtkdialog version? Running from a virtual machine? If you are saving to ntfs (not recommended by the way) was the disk defragged first? Save files have been created on vfat (32 bit), ntfs (again, not recommended), ext2 and ext3 partitions.

Maybe there were applications running that interfered?

The script uses bash and gtkdialog (and therefore GTK) and has been tested on the official releases. There are a lot of versions of Puppy/bash/gtkdialog/GTK floating around and it is impossible for me to test on every combination. With over 500 downloads and only a couple of reported problems I am curious as to why it had problems for you.

Attachments
properties.jpg
(56.66 KiB) Downloaded 995 times