Precord0.9.5 audio recorder

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
rmcellig

#166 Post by rmcellig »

Is there a version of precord that will work with Puppy Linux 5.2.8?

mcewanw

New versions of Precord posted

#167 Post by mcewanw »

New versions of Precord posted.

These contain a system critical fix to the code used to provide arecord VU peak level meter. Forum member SFR (Jake) brought the problem to my attention and provided fix. Old version arecord VU code was overwriting /dev/null so this upgrade is important. See first post in thread for dotpets etc and more details.

Note: New versions of Pavrecord fixing the same critical but have also been posted on Pavrecord main thread. Also for xrecord on DebianDog developer's thread. I've also alerted the developer of Bacon recorder, which used the same buggy code for arecord VU meter.
----------------------------------------
# Changes:
# Critical system related fix for VU peak level meter. Thanks Jake (SFR)

These new versions need you to test them. Which one to use is suggested, but in practice may depend on which codecs compiled into system's ffmpeg.
github mcewanw

SFR

#168 Post by SFR »

Thanks for the updates, William.
I informed Mick, so hopefully both apps will get updated in next Slacko release.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#169 Post by 01micko »

Thanks WIlliam and Jake. :) . I'll update these at the no-arch repo.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

OscarTalks

#170 Post by OscarTalks »

William,

Thanks for all your hard work on precord and pAVrecord.
Do you know if it would be best to use the standard version or the Precise version in Dpup Wheezy?

Dpup Wheezy has libav in place of ffmpeg, same as Precise, same version I believe. Not sure about the Shinobar +libavformat extras that you mentioned though.
Oscar in England

mcewanw

#171 Post by mcewanw »

OscarTalks wrote: Do you know if it would be best to use the standard version or the Precise version in Dpup Wheezy?

Dpup Wheezy has libav in place of ffmpeg, same as Precise, same version I believe. Not sure about the Shinobar +libavformat extras that you mentioned though.
For Precord I would recommend the standard version for Dpup Wheezy (not the one for Precise). As far as I believe, the only thing that won't work is aac recording since no libfaac (which standard version of Precord uses) or libvo_aacenc (which is what the Precise ver of Precord uses) in the Dpup Wheezy ffmpeg.

In addition to not having libfaac support that Dpup Wheezy ffmpeg also doesn't have x11grab support compiled in, as far as it seemed to me, which means that its provided ffconvert will only partly function as set up.
EDIT2: Correction, I've retested and DpupWheezy's ffmpeg does have x11grab support, but for ffconvert to use that I believe you need this fix here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 373#777373

Also, not having ffplay in Dpup Wheezy, also means for sure that pAVrecord won't work anyway.

Note: DebianDog is able to create an ffmpeg.sfs using its FFmpeg2sfs Utility (in its menu); it comes with libfaac, ffplay and x11grab support I believe. It is around 8MB compressed. Perhaps that would work in Dpup Wheezy (with standard Precord and standard version of pAVrecord), but I haven't tried it and you may still need to strip out the existing one and its libs and perhaps sort out the exec PATH to the main binary?

I've actually only myself been able to try Precise versions of Precord and Pavrecord on older Precise 5.6.1 (and Slacko 5.7) since that's what I had. However, I'm currently downloading Precise 5.7.1 retro since my machine is non-PAE, to test on there. Hopefully if they are not working someone who uses Precise or Slacko new versions will also report back. For other distributions, unfortunately, the user will generally just have to test for themselves which, if any, version works. though usually the standard one would be the Precord to go for.

Hope you find some combination useful!

Cheers, William

EDIT: I just quickly tried precise version of pAVrecord on Puppy Precise 5.7.1 retro and it seems to be working (made a quick video record). Not therefore really the same ffmpeg as in Dpup Wheezy (Precise 5.7.1 ffmpeg has ffplay, x11grab and, in its case, libvo_aacenc support).
github mcewanw

OscarTalks

#172 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi William,

Thanks for your answer. I normally use precord to encode to mp3 so hadn't noticed the lack of libfaac support. If I add libfaac I presume I would have to recompile the same version of the original libav (ffmpeg substitute) source code with support for this added? I am always reluctant to change the libav version (or to swap it for real ffmpeg) as you can end up breaking other packages which depend on it.

My remastered Dpup Wheezy has pAVrecord and I added the Debian package libav-tools which contains the ffplay binary (symlink to avplay really of course). I mentioned this in the Dpup Wheezy thread:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=668
Maybe Pemasu (or other developer?) will want to consider adding this package to the distro in future. Debian have this habit of splitting one package (if compiled from source) into several packages, so sometimes things get left out when building a Pup in Woof.
Oscar in England

mcewanw

#173 Post by mcewanw »

OscarTalks wrote:If I add libfaac I presume I would have to recompile the same version of the original libav (ffmpeg substitute) source code with support for this added?
Yes, I believe that is correct. Anyway, as you say, it is only aac that is likely to be missing for Dpup Wheezy precord use, as things stand and most will just want mp3 for that (it is really pavrecord users that might want to use aac with their videos).
OscarTalks wrote:My remastered Dpup Wheezy has pAVrecord and I added the Debian package libav-tools which contains the ffplay binary (symlink to avplay really of course). I mentioned this in the Dpup Wheezy thread:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=668
That's good, and interesting to know.

I mentioned the ffmpeg.sfs that can be built from DebianDog because it is very full featured in terms of compiled in features (encoders/decoders). For example, from ffmpeg -codecs, here are the aac-related encoders it has available:

Code: Select all

DEA.L. aac                  AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) (encoders: aac libfaac libfdk_aac libvo_aacenc libaacplus )
Note that the ffmpeg in Dpup Wheezy does have the inbuilt aac experimental encoder, which works but is limited as far as I remember. I actually use that one in DebianDog installed xhrecord (a backend I wrote for xhippo/xrecord), though I plan to change it to probably libfaac. The encoding line in xhrecord is:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -y $ffmpegtime -f alsa -ac $channels_arecord -ar 48000 $ffmpeg_plughw -f adts -acodec aac -strict experimental $aacquality "$filename"
(Actually, looking at that order, I'm surprised it's working [or was; I'd better recheck...] - might have been for an older ffmpeg, where parameter order was sometimes different for reasons unknown to me. Should of course have any output parameters after the input device, which here is represented by the variable $ffmpeg_plughw. Ah, the input is raw from soundcard here, so maybe these input parameters are necessary for this purpose afterall - sometimes I just try it and see...)

You could manually modify precord to use that form, but that might involve quite a bit of work (the value of the $variable parameters can be found by studing the /opt/apps/xhippo/usr/bin/xrecord code in DebianDog). Sorry that I don't have time for that at the moment; its already difficult to support both libfaac and also libvo_aacenc (not sure which of these is currently considered best in terms of performance/quality) - I'd be interested to know if anyone successfully uses the above mentioned DebianDog ffmpeg.sfs in Dpup Wheezy. I might try it myself eventually.

I'm currently looking at avconv syntax to check differences to standard ffmpeg with a view to modifying next pavrecord/precord to use either (including avplay). Have avconv/ffmpeg versions of precord and pavrecord now in testing, which I'll publish soon.

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

New version of Precord posted

#174 Post by mcewanw »

NOTE WELL: Please remember to delete your old ~/.precord config directory before installing this latest version.

Download available in first post of this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49907

Changes 9.0.0:

One version now only. Tested on Slacko 6 beta, Precise 5.7.1 and DebianDog

Major config GUI modification.
Can use avconv if available.
Selects appropriate AAC encoder.
As per pAVrecord, Precord now includes hijack expansion capability to allow modular plugin addition of new main code, new functions, new gui panels and new gui general config buttons:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 913#656913
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord 9.0.1 uploaded. With bugfix to record Duration.

#175 Post by mcewanw »

NOTE WELL: Please remember to delete your old ~/.precord config directory before installing this latest version.

Changes 9.0.1:

Fixed record Duration not working. Modified such that most functionality no longer requires ffmpeg (which was previously used in playback code). Can now also control playback (but not record) of video files too if mplayer on system.

One version now only. Tested on Slacko 6 beta, Precise 5.7.1 and DebianDog.

Major config GUI modification.
Can use avconv if available.
Selects appropriate AAC encoder.
As per pAVrecord, Precord now includes hijack expansion capability to allow modular plugin addition of new main code, new functions, new gui panels and new gui general config buttons:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 913#656913
github mcewanw

mcewanw

new version Precord uploaded

#176 Post by mcewanw »

new version Precord uploaded. Now version 9.0.2

Changes: Mainly just added a convenience feature for users other than root user ($HOME as default save dir rather than /root). Also, however, one bugfix so lame|aplay now used to play back mp3 files rather than mplayer.

Download from first post of this thread.

A new version of pAVrecord has also been uploaded to match the changes.

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

new version Precord uploaded. Now version 9.0.3

#177 Post by mcewanw »

new version Precord uploaded. Now version 9.0.3

Changes: hijack module capability expanded. Now using .hijack as addon module extension

Download the new Precord from first post of this thread.

A new version of pAVrecord has also been uploaded to first post of its thread to match the changes.

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

Works well in Slacko 64 (6.9.6.4 at home)

#178 Post by Pelo »

2017, precord remains the tool when i need to comment or translate a text, an english video,
Works well in Slacko 64 (6.9.6.4 at home)
You can Pause, which is not available on Bacon recorder. MHwavedit is more for editing audio, as avidemux for videos.
Up to the top !

BarryK
Puppy Master

#179 Post by BarryK »

EasyOS and Quirky continue to use Precord, an older version 8.1.4.

I have just upgraded to 9.0.3, and fixed a couple of small issues. They were in 8.1.4 also.

It is not a good practice to have a hidden file in /etc, so I have changed /etc/precord/.precordrc to /etc/precord/precordrc.

Ditto, ~/.precord/.precordrc is now ~/.precord/precordrc

JWM does not display the icon, mini-record.xpm in the menu. It used to, but version 2.3.7 doesn't.

The reason is, it is actually a png file.

I have removed it from the PET, that is, removed /usr/share/mini-icons/mini-record.xpm, as woofQ (used to build Easy and Quirky) now has mini-record.xpm, an actual XPM image.

That's at:
rootfs-skeleton/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/mini-record.xpm
in woofQ

My modified PET:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/noarch ... .0.3-1.pet
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

xyz

precord new version tested Legopen based unicorn

#180 Post by xyz »

precord new version tested Legopen based unicorn . No trouble with it
Precord was is menu multimedia but in fact not installed by builder Legopen
Retrovol ticked where need (master, capture)

wiak

new Precord 9.0.5

#181 Post by wiak »

Precord version 9.0.5 released. NOTE: now depends on gtkwialog being installed per below details:

2018/06/05 (YMD): Precord now uses gtkwialog [-b] for its GUI and so can now be used on systems that use dash (e.g. Debian and Ubuntu), ash (e.g. Slitaz), or bash (e.g. Puppy Linux) as their underlying system shells'

DOWNLOAD: deb package suitable for Puppy or Dogs or these other systems is currently attached to first post of this thread here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 446#370446

Current version 9.0.5, depends on gtkwialog being installed. Note that gtkwialog is a drop-in replacement for gtkdialog in that it contains full current gtkdialog functionality but has additional functionality that allows it to be used when either dash, ash, or bash are used as the system shell.

You do not therefore need both gtkwialog and legacy gtkdialog on your system but can instead simply make gtkdialog a symbolic link to newer gtkwialog (USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY: AT YOUR OWN RISK, but gtkwialog has proved stable in all tests thus far).

You can currently find a 32bit and 64bit downloads for gtkwialog (compiled on XenialDog but fine also for Bionic) at foot of the following post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 434#993434

Being a radically new version (but same operation functionality) please let me know if you find any bugs. Thank you.

wiak

mcewanw

#182 Post by mcewanw »

Precord new releases depend on gtkwialog (which is currently under development but not yet published) so that it can also be used on systems that run dash as their underlying system shell.

dancytron

#183 Post by dancytron »

mcewanw wrote:Precord new releases depend on gtkwialog (which is currently under development but not yet published) so that it can also be used on systems that run dash as their underlying system shell.
It got updated in Fred's Stretch repository but Fred doesn't have gtkwialog. So the upgrade fails and so does purge then reinstall.

Either gtkwailog needs to be added to Fred's repo or precord latest version of precord needs to be removed.

wiak

#184 Post by wiak »

dancytron wrote:
mcewanw wrote:Precord new releases depend on gtkwialog (which is currently under development but not yet published) so that it can also be used on systems that run dash as their underlying system shell.
It got updated in Fred's Stretch repository but Fred doesn't have gtkwialog. So the upgrade fails and so does purge then reinstall.

Either gtkwailog needs to be added to Fred's repo or precord latest version of precord needs to be removed.
Yes, I understand. Fred will see your messages dancytron and fix it as suits. I expect he will replace it with previous Precord for a while yet since only gtkwialog before is just for testing use. Alternatively he could just remove dependency info but that would be nothing to do with me; that version of Precord does require gtkwialog since it is designed to also run on dash system shell distributions. I don't want people hassling me for old versions of the source code since I'm already in the middle of modifying it all for actual release version. Prealpha was a testing-only binary, and not a distribution release, which I want to remove from old thread, but don't have access as you probably know.

cheers, wiak