Precord0.9.5 audio recorder

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mcewanw

Precord mp3,wav,ogg recorder/player version 8.0.7 released

#151 Post by mcewanw »

Download at first post.

# Changes:
Version 8.0.7: Record stop button opens mixer/vu if not recording.
Useful in small GUI (which has no mixer button per se) since adjusting mixer so crucial to good recordings.
Version 8.0.6: Rearranged the small GUI such that the rec/play buttons come first. That way the small GUI can be dragged part way off the right hand side of the screen and still be operatable.
Fixed helpsetup for internationalisation.

NOTE WELL:

To be sure the newest version will start, prior to installation you should definitely delete any pre-existing hidden config file /root/.precord (glad it ran okay for you anyway Flash). This version has new variables which aren't in the config file of some earlier versions. If ever precord fails to start just delete that config directory and the new config directory will auto rebuild next time you run precord after which all should be fine...
github mcewanw

L18L

Re: helpsetup

#152 Post by L18L »

mcewanw wrote:...
EDIT: @L18L: Please note that version 8.0.7 is released. It includes a change to STOP RECORD button functionality so also includes one small change to a gettext string also (the STOP RECORD label).
Every change is handled by momanager, no problem.

May be this code snippet can explain better howto display the entire precord setup help, and fix it :wink:

Code: Select all

sed -i 's#"printf "##' /usr/bin/precord
Attachments
precord_help_en.png
before applying above fix
(18.75 KiB) Downloaded 882 times

mcewanw

#153 Post by mcewanw »

L18L wrote:
mcewanw wrote:...
May be this code snippet can explain better howto display the entire precord setup help, and fix it :wink:

Code: Select all

sed -i 's#"printf "##' /usr/bin/precord
Hahaha touché

But what do you expect when I am coding whilst in full care of a screaming 8 month baby boy... I admit, I didn't look at the help to check it, bad me, just quickly looked at the pot. I'll release 8.0.8 tomorrow then... sigh. It's one in the morning here - long past my bedtime.
github mcewanw

L18L

#154 Post by L18L »

mcewanw wrote: touché.
Sorry
Here to help :)

mcewanw

Precord version 8.0.8 released

#155 Post by mcewanw »

# Changes:
Version 8.0.8: Version 8.0.8: Fixed pause date-stamped record. Fixed help text.

Version 8.0.7: Record stop button opens mixer/vu if not recording.
Useful in small GUI (which has no mixer button per se) since adjusting mixer so crucial to good recordings.
Version 8.0.6: Rearranged the small GUI such that the rec/play buttons come first. That way the small GUI can be dragged part way off the right hand side of the screen and still be operatable.
Fixed helpsetup for internationalisation.

NOTE WELL:

To be sure the newest version will start, prior to installation you should definitely delete any pre-existing hidden config file /root/.precord (glad it ran okay for you anyway Flash). This version has new variables which aren't in the config file of some earlier versions. If ever precord fails to start just delete that config directory and the new config directory will auto rebuild next time you run precord after which all should be fine...

Version 8.0.5: More logical drag and drop facility:
File entry takes precedence over Directory entry on filepath decision. Tidied up some of the code.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord 8.0.9 released. Needs testing.

#156 Post by mcewanw »

# Changes:
Version 8.0.9: Uses ffmpeg for ogg recording if oggenc is not available. For example, oggenc (from vorbis-tools) is not provided in Slacko-5.3.3 by default so Precord could not record ogg audio format by default there until now. Wary-5.3 includes oggenc by default anyway. I tested in Wary by temporarily renaming the oggenc binary so that Precord automatically then used ffmpeg instead to encode ogg.

This version needs some testing to see if all is well and to compare ffmpeg against oggenc as the ogg encoder.

Also removed vorbis-tools from dependencies list.
-----
Some known issues with the underlying ogg encoders:

Ogg quality mode (ogg_q) should provide output file bitrates from approximately 45kbps (q=N1) up to 500kbps (q=10) with stereo mode selected. However, oggenc in Wary-5.3 does not interpret q=N1 correctly and produces bit rate 128kbps instead of 45kbps.

Ogg managed bitrate mode (ogg_mm) correctly provides up to 320kbps (when in stereo mode) using either oggenc or ffmpeg in Wary-5.3. However, the ffmpeg provided in slacko-5.3.3 could not handle 256kbps or 320kbps.

The lowest bit rate the encoders provide in ogg_mm mode should be 45kbps, but the lowest oggenc in Wary-5.3 can go is 64kbps. Precord has therefore been coded such that 64kbps is the lowest bit rate requested from oggenc in this mode and 45kbps the lowest if ffmpeg is the underlying ogg encoder instead.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord version 8.1.0 released

#157 Post by mcewanw »

# Changes:
Version 8.1.0: Fixed bug that Duration setting wasn't working if recording ogg under ffmpeg (was okay with oggenc). Tidied some code.
Version 8.0.9: Uses ffmpeg for ogg recording if oggenc is not available. For example, oggenc (from vorbis-tools) is not provided in Slacko-5.3.3 by default so Precord could not record ogg audio format by default there until now. This version needs some testing to see if all is well and to compare ffmpeg against oggenc as the ogg encoder. Also removed vorbis-tools from dependencies list. Some known issues with ogg recording, caused by the underlying encoders, are outlined here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 037#655037

You can find more about ogg vorbis here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord version 8.1.1 released

#158 Post by mcewanw »

Precord mp3, wav, ogg, aac, and flac audio recorder and player with pause controls and auto config saving

# Changes:

# Version 8.1.1: Running from commandline now working.
# includes AAC audio (bit rate and quality modes) and flac lossless
# Fixed scheduling record via Pscheduler.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord ver 8.1.1 re-uploaded

#159 Post by mcewanw »

changes in above post.

To the one person who downloaded this when I first uploaded it, sorry, but I noticed a small error, fixed it, and reloaded it again quickly inbetween times...
github mcewanw

mcewanw

precord version 8.1.2 released

#160 Post by mcewanw »

Precord mp3, wav, ogg, acc(faac), and flac recorder and player with pause controls and auto config saving

Tested as fully working on Slacko-5.3.3. Also tested on Puppy Precise version 5.3.95.1 as working well for all codecs provided by the ffmpeg supplied there (but libfaac is not provided in Precise).

[Also tested on Slacko 5.4 beta, but Slacko beta's arecord VU display is not displaying correctly].

NOTE: aac audio could be recorded in Puppy Precise if I changed the aac encoder line to -acodec aac -strict experimental. However, that inbuilt ffmpeg encoder doesn't respond to audio quality parameters, as determined in tests, and also documented on the web. I am therefore sticking with ffmpeg enabled libfaac as a requirement for aac recording.

# Changes:

# Version 8.1.2: Running from commandline now working.
# includes AAC audio (bit rate and quality modes) and flac lossless
# Fixed scheduling record via Pscheduler.

NOTE WELL:

To be sure the newest version will start, prior to installation you should definitely delete any pre-existing hidden config file /root/.precord. This version has new variables which aren't in the config file of some earlier versions. If ever precord fails to start just delete that config directory and the new config directory will auto rebuild next time you run precord after which all should be fine...
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord 8.1.3 released

#161 Post by mcewanw »

Precord mp3, wav, ogg, acc(faac), and flac recorder and player with pause controls and auto config saving

Tested as fully working on Slacko-5.3.3 and Slacko 5.4 beta. Also tested on Puppy Precise version 5.3.95.1 as working well for all codecs provided by the ffmpeg supplied there (but libfaac is not provided in Precise). Should work to a greater or lesser extent in many Puppy versions.

# Changes:
# Version 8.1.3: VU display bugfix
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord special version 8.1.3 for Puppy Precise released

#162 Post by mcewanw »

Please remember to delete your old /root/.precord config directory before installing this.

Note well that I have now also included a version of precord especially made for Puppy Precise (precord-precise-8.1.x). The ffmpeg (+libavformat extras provided by shinobar) currently provided for Precise require this modified version. But the normal one should be used in Slacko, Dpup Exprimo or any other non-Precise derived system.

# Changes:

# Version 8.1.3: VU display bugfix
# Version precise-8.1.3: as above, plus using libvo_aacenc instead of libfaac
Last edited by mcewanw on Fri 19 Oct 2012, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

rodin.s

gettext in Help

#163 Post by rodin.s »

I was making Russian translation and noticed that some lines in Help are not translated.
2. For Microphone recording, ....
....... VU display before actually recording or you'll end up with a blank recording!).
I found out that that is because of commented single quote in some words like: "You\'ll", "don\'t", "01micko\'s". These backslashes should be removed for translation to work.

mcewanw

Re: gettext in Help

#164 Post by mcewanw »

rodin.s wrote:I was making Russian translation and noticed that some lines in Help are not translated.
Thanks, I'm working on pavrecord at the moment, but I'll look into that afterwards.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

Precord version 1.8.4 released

#165 Post by mcewanw »

Please remember to delete your old /root/.precord config directory before installing this.

Note well that I have now also included a version of precord especially made for Puppy Precise (precord-precise-8.1.x). The ffmpeg (+libavformat extras provided by shinobar) currently provided for Precise require this modified version. But the normal one should be used in Slacko, Dpup Exprimo or any other non-Precise derived system.

# Changes:

# Version 8.1.4: Modified help text to remove translation bug.
github mcewanw

rmcellig

#166 Post by rmcellig »

Is there a version of precord that will work with Puppy Linux 5.2.8?

mcewanw

New versions of Precord posted

#167 Post by mcewanw »

New versions of Precord posted.

These contain a system critical fix to the code used to provide arecord VU peak level meter. Forum member SFR (Jake) brought the problem to my attention and provided fix. Old version arecord VU code was overwriting /dev/null so this upgrade is important. See first post in thread for dotpets etc and more details.

Note: New versions of Pavrecord fixing the same critical but have also been posted on Pavrecord main thread. Also for xrecord on DebianDog developer's thread. I've also alerted the developer of Bacon recorder, which used the same buggy code for arecord VU meter.
----------------------------------------
# Changes:
# Critical system related fix for VU peak level meter. Thanks Jake (SFR)

These new versions need you to test them. Which one to use is suggested, but in practice may depend on which codecs compiled into system's ffmpeg.
github mcewanw

SFR

#168 Post by SFR »

Thanks for the updates, William.
I informed Mick, so hopefully both apps will get updated in next Slacko release.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

01micko

#169 Post by 01micko »

Thanks WIlliam and Jake. :) . I'll update these at the no-arch repo.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

OscarTalks

#170 Post by OscarTalks »

William,

Thanks for all your hard work on precord and pAVrecord.
Do you know if it would be best to use the standard version or the Precise version in Dpup Wheezy?

Dpup Wheezy has libav in place of ffmpeg, same as Precise, same version I believe. Not sure about the Shinobar +libavformat extras that you mentioned though.
Oscar in England