Hassle-Free Roxapps

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
PupGeek

#16 Post by PupGeek »

esmourguit wrote:Bonjour à tous,
It's excellent.
On 4.31, i tried Gimp, and i had to convert sfs file from version 3 to version 4.
Are all of them in squash version 3?
Cordialement ;)

They are actually in version 3.x.... Most of them in 3.1, so they will not run in older puppies (such as 2.15)

This is what I love about Linux.... Always something new to learn. Anywho, gotta get to my job and i will be back later on to look for ways of solving these issues. :)

technosaurus

#17 Post by technosaurus »

Here is a fairly simple way to compile other programs that makes them easily configurable as a RoxApp

run ./configure --help
you should see a list that includes --prefix= , --bindir= etc...
you will want to set all of these to /usr/local/apps/$MY_PROGRAM_NAME

here is an example:

Code: Select all

CFLAGS=" -pipe -Os " CXXFLAGS=" -pipe -Os " LDFLAGS=" -Wl,-O2,-s " \
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apps/abiword --bindir=/usr/local/apps/abiword \
--sysconfdir=/usr/local/apps/abiword --localstatedir=/usr/local/apps/abiword \
--libdir=/usr/local/apps/abiword ....<--more-options>
make
new2dir make install
(Then in /usr/local/apps/$MY_PROGRAM_NAME make a symlink for AppRun to the main executable and a symlink for .DirIcon to any image)

I only recommend this for programs - not libraries
If you want to include additional libraries this way I would recommend first compiling the libraries with ./configure --enable-static --disable-shared before compiling your program (that way only the necessaryparts get included - sometimes only a couple of kb of a multi-MB library)
Last edited by technosaurus on Fri 11 Dec 2009, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

abushcrafter

#18 Post by abushcrafter »

thank you thank you I'm downloading kdenlive..... yes yes yes happy me :D :) :o 8)

abushcrafter

#19 Post by abushcrafter »

How the heck do you run these :?: :?

abushcrafter

#20 Post by abushcrafter »

arr...

sh-3.00# dmesg | tail
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20080730 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
e100: eth0 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
REISERFS (device sda6): found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
REISERFS (device sda6): using ordered data mode
REISERFS (device sda6): journal params: device sda6, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30
REISERFS (device sda6): checking transaction log (sda6)
REISERFS (device sda6): Using r5 hash to sort names
SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, older Squashfs 3.1 filesystems are unsupported
SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor mismatch, older Squashfs 3.1 filesystems are unsupported

PupGeek

#21 Post by PupGeek »

You extract them from the .tar.gz archive, then you have an application directory. If you are using Rox filer (Puppy's default file manager) you simply click on the directory.... It is shown with the applications and other files because the AppRun script makes it an application and the .DirIcon will give it its unique icon.

The process is simple with these... just download, extract, and execute.... from anywhere. These were packaged with puppy 4.2.1 using binaries, mostly from the slackware repo and many from the ArtistX liveDVD. On puppy 4.3, I have heard the squashfs needs to be converted from version 3.1 to 4.x. On older puppies that use squash 3.0 or older, they will error out and will not run. Keep in mind, that I had these roxapps working well on an old 400 MHz computer with 320 MB RAM, but I was using a 1 GB swap partition .... I tried using GIMP on a 2.6 GHz system with 512 MB ram and it kept crashing on me until I mounted a swap partition on a USB flash drive. If you do not have a swap partition and these apps keep crashing, try making a swap either on your hard drive or a flash drive.... Even an old 256 MB or 512MB flash drive might work. I can't be sure though, as I have only used 1 GB swaps. You can even repartition the flash drive so that only part of it is reserved as a swap partition. It would work best if you frugal your distro to, say, a 4 GB flash drive with one GB reserved for swap. make a boot cd (even a business card cd will work as you do not have to have the pup_xxx.sfs file on it) with the pmedia=usbflash hardcoded on it, and you can take your computer anywhere you go..... without having to lug a laptop around.

abush, looking at your error log, it seems to me that you need to convert the squashfs to a newer version. I will ask how to do that and post a howto on this.

dingo, did you try to edit the AppRun script with the changes I showed earlier? If so, were you able to get what you wanted?

abushcrafter

#22 Post by abushcrafter »

thanks muchly

PupGeek

#23 Post by PupGeek »

If anyone here is interested, I also have ProducerPup available. It contains half of the apps I listed here and more. If you are planning to download GIMP, Blender, and Kdenlive, they are all included in ProducerPup as well as Audacity, Hydrogen, LMMS, and others. ProducerPup is based on Puppy 4.2.1, so the rest of these apps will work with it. You can find more information on ProducerPup by going to:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 017#371017

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

bush, looking at your error log, it seems to me that you need to convert the squashfs to a newer version. I will ask how to do that and post a howto on this.
Tried uploading and using the sfs converter in Puppy 4.3.1
Bit more than that needed as it did not work
Next trick might be to rename them .sfs?

Anyway great to see them working for older versions
and perhaps ready made versions for 4.3.1 will be possible? - good luck and many thanks :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

seaside

#25 Post by seaside »

Here's a way to convert the old SFS files to the new ones for use in the Roxapps.

Download and extract the tar file

Right click the app icon directory and choose "look inside"

Rename the XXX.roxfs to XXX.sfs

Open Menu >Utility>Convert sfs

Drag & drop XXX.sfs into Converter

Rename resulting "sfs4" to XXX.roxfs

Also, if this doesn't work within four hours, seek immediate medical attention :D

Cheers,
s

PupGeek

#26 Post by PupGeek »

thank you seaside, Apparently, that feature is only available in puppy 4.3. I will have to try that

abushcrafter

Errors

#27 Post by abushcrafter »

sh-3.00# ./AppRun
Qt: Locales not supported on X server
kbuildsycoca running...
Qt: Locales not supported on X server
QInputContext: no input method context available
QInputContext: no input method context available
Failed to load plugin: libswscale.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
KCrash: Application 'kdenlive' crashing...
Could not find 'drkonqi' executable.
KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.

PupGeek

#28 Post by PupGeek »

Thank you Abush... I have downloaded a copy of puppy 4.3.1 and will have to try this out to be sure of what is wrong.... Keep in mind, however that if there is any extraction of these squashfs files to a vfat partition, symlinks are not extracted and may be necessary.... I will run the program on 4.3 to check it out.

abushcrafter

#29 Post by abushcrafter »

Lobsters idear worked btw.

Success after adding the lib it moaned about it loads :)

abushcrafter

#30 Post by abushcrafter »

moans: Can't save work as a project only export. By can't save, I mean no file exists where i set it to save(and yes its not hidden). My other moan is I can't import theora video but can export. Otherwise its raver stable :)

esmourguit

#31 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous,
In 4.31, i created a file GIMP.roxfs version 4, in which I introduced the French localization files. When I launch the application it starts always in English.
However if I copy the french localization files in the appropriate directory before running the application, it starts in French.
How is it possible to change (I suppose AppRun) to load localization files just before opening Gimp?
Thank you in advance.
Cordialement, ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

abushcrafter

#32 Post by abushcrafter »

Last edited by abushcrafter on Tue 22 Dec 2009, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

seaside

#33 Post by seaside »

esmourguit wrote:Bonjour à tous,
In 4.31, i created a file GIMP.roxfs version 4, in which I introduced the French localization files. When I launch the application it starts always in English.
However if I copy the french localization files in the appropriate directory before running the application, it starts in French.
How is it possible to change (I suppose AppRun) to load localization files just before opening Gimp?
Thank you in advance.
Cordialement, ;)
esmourguit,

Instead of copying the files, you could link them in AppRun.
Open the file AppRun in an editor and look for-

ln -s $APPDIR/share/gimp /usr/share
ln -s $APPDIR/share/gimp-lqr-plugin /usr/share
ln -s $APPDIR/share/gimp-texturize /usr/share
ln -s /mnt/GIMP/etc/gimp /etc / 
after these lines put in one like this-

ln -s /from/wherever/you/copy/language/files /to/wherever/they/should/go
this will link the files before the program loads and it should then start in the proper language.

Also, you'll want to remove the links by adding another line after these-

rm /usr/share/gimp
rm /usr/share/gimp-lqr-plugin
rm /usr/share/gimp-texturize
rm /etc/gimp
add this line-

rm /to/wherever/they/should/go
Good Luck,
s

PupGeek

#34 Post by PupGeek »

That's right seaside, I never linked the locale files. If you have recompressed a .roxfs and included any locale packs, you must link them over to your system directories in the AppRun script. Not sure how to set a default language, though.

And Abush, I haven't forgotten about you. I have just been very busy lately.

Also, folks, If the sfs converter in pup 4.3 allows you to choose a temp directory, stay away from windoze partitions as the necessary symlinks will end up missing from the final result.

Does puppy 4.3 not come with ffmpeg? Im beginning to think that with all the differences between puppy 4.2 and 4.3 that 4.3 really should have been a 5.x instead.

esmourguit

#35 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à tous,
@ seaside,
Sorry for this late response. I have a lot of work right now.
Thank you very much for the advice, i complete the changes as soon as possible.
Cordialement. ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]