How to do away with mozilla

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
bombayrockers

How to do away with mozilla

#1 Post by bombayrockers »

If you dont like mozilla / dont use it / want to use other broswers such as firefox / konqueror, use this how to remove mozilla from your usr_cram.fs file. It is huge around 30 mbs are eaten by mozilla when it is just sitting around there.

All the remaster scripts I have seen until now have humonguous requirements, which not every puppy user can have. However this is for me the simplest way of HACKING usr_cram.fs

I have my files vmlinuz, image.gz and usr_cram.fs stored on the hd. This how to is directed at such users. I dont know how this will work for cd users.

1. copy your usr_cram.fs to usr_cram.fs2
2. exec command -> mount -r -t squashfs -o loop /mnt/home/usr_cram.fs /mnt/data
3. make a folder called cram in my-documents
4. using rox drag all the files from /mnt/data to the cram folder (will take some time)
5. exec command -> umount /dev/loop2. Delete /mnt/home/usr_cram.fs
6. goto /cram/lib folder. Remove the mozilla folders
7. got /cram/local/bin. Remove all apps starting with moz.
8. Thats it we are all set to repackage out cram file
9. open a new rox. navigate to my-documents. right click. Select xterm here. execute the following command
mksquashfs ./cram /mnt/home/usr_cram.fs
this will take some time. the /mnt/home can be replaced to the folder where you want this
10. open rox -> click on the up arrow ie (now we are in /(thumbs)
delete the usr_cram.fs file from there. Puppy loads this usr_cram.fs file at every bootup. If it would be stored in pupfile than our changes wont take effect.

NOTE puppy loads the usr_cram.fs file by matching the size of the usr_cram.fs with one in the sizeusrcram in image.gz. Now remastering image.gz in dangerous. So we will not resort to that.
The only disavantage of this remaster is that at boot puppy will say to you that the size of the usr_cram file does not match, but will still load it after you press the enter key

11. REBOOT, dont panic, Press ENTER

Leon

#2 Post by Leon »

Many thanks, bombayrockers!
I found your instructions the easiest way to customize Puppy.
Now I only have to find a way how to put the new size of usr_cram.fs into image.gz.

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

To fix the size issue, you have to open up image.gz
Run gunzip on it to decompress it. You can mount it with:
mount image /mnt/somedirectory -t ext2 -o loop
Since you're just changing a little file, I think it will be fine if you just edit it. If not, things get trickier.

Next, we get the size of usr_cram.fs (after you've recompressed it and all).

Code: Select all

#size of usr_cram.fs needed by rc.sysinit to verify correct version of usr_cram.fs...
SIZEUSRCRAM="`ls -l usr_cram.fs | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 5 -d ' '`"
echo -n "$SIZEUSRCRAM" > /mnt/somedirectory/root0/.etc/sizeusrcram
That should automatically update the correct file within the image. Now you can unmount it:
umount /mnt/somedirectory
and recompress it with:
gzip image

That should hopefully work.

This whole process is basically what hackyremaster does. Hackyremaster takes a little more space, though, because it combines usr_cram.fs and image.gz togeather in one filesystem image until you tell it to recompress them. It's a lot easier on the noggin, though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Leon

#4 Post by Leon »

Excellent! I tried and it works.

Many thanks, Pizzasgood!