Karmic Puppy uPup 4.58 w/ GLX/DRI - Latest Woof FEB 16

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pemasu

#151 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Yes, it was a question. I have frugal installs in their own subdirs. I have replaced initrd.gz, vmlinuz and sfs from the newer version and used the existing savefile. But I have read that sometimes this will cause wierd behavior and errors. Anyway I decided to start with new savefile.

Iron prints with HP Laserjet 1020. Google Chrome has bug which prevents printing so this comes as pleasant bonus.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 22 Feb 2010, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#152 Post by aarf »

pemasu wrote: .... uploading now 20 Mb http://www.mypuppylinux.com/upload/457. ... .iso.delta
have created a MD5 sum correct upup458 from this delta on a FAT file system and booted it.

aarf

#153 Post by aarf »

there were some problems at initial install as before with read-only and portable opera and then that seems to have corrupted vmlinuz when i tried to create pupsave to the read-only drive. also possibly my defective SDcard reader was at fault somewhere in there too.

however after the initial problems i created a pupsave before attempting to use my portable opera and now all is fine and my portable opera works.

further on the plus side desktop recorded and now pwireless2 (see issues) are working in upup458.

nooby

#154 Post by nooby »

I downloaded the iso again because something must have happened to it during download last time so now with a fresh start all worked. I am writing from 458 now.

If I find anything unusual I report.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#155 Post by playdayz »

hey pemasu, I posted the link to your xdelta file right under the main download link to uPup 4.58 in the first message in this thread. I will try to make one of my own for the next release, but I am not sure how soon a next release will be needed. If that is inconvenient for you, to have the link posted, let me know and I will move it to my server, cool name your server has btw.

Also, on the update procedure you describe (manually putting the new files into the same directory as the old pupsave), I think that it would be the same as booting a new version and letting it update an old installed version. But I would sure back up beforehand. Starting fresh is always safer.

pemasu

#156 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Yes, you can use it freely. The xdelta was for use for everyone. Main thing is to make it easier to upgrade by using them. Naming principle should be better by me however. 01micko has posted guide howto use xdelta at howto section I think.

Second thing. Download place is not my server. It is freely uploadable server for Puppy use, granted by Drone-87401 in this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52214

I just grapped the opportunity. I have only small quanta at Lighthouse Pup server where I have couple apps. I mainly upload there sfs apps which I use commonly. One sfs app for every puppie principle. Of course Iron doesnt work with other puppies I believe. Makes Upup more preferable :D
Autoupgrade feature might cause problems with sfs apps. At least I got Thunderbird unworkable. The reason still not solved.

aarf

#157 Post by aarf »

want to get this http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/har ... ool.1.html working in upup. it manipulates mobile phones content.
searching in puppy package manager for obex returns obexd client and obex data server with a least a big 6mb of needed dependences. dont know if i need these.
any one want to give a step by step on how to proceed? or make a pet?

01micko

#158 Post by 01micko »

pemasu

I had no luck with your iron sfs... I changed user and group (all execs) from ftp/ftp to root/root and still no luck... not your fault. I have an AMD athlon... it needs the P2 build of Iron!!! Who would have thought when this processor is as fast as a P4?

Ah well, such are things in the linux world! I am posting from Iron from playdayz' link in the main post.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#159 Post by pemasu »

01micko. Sorry to hear iron.sfs didnt work. Good to hear that user/group chown wasnt right. Still have a lot to learn howto ftp upload preserving chown and chmod attributes right. And maybe my access rights gives hiccup. Maybe using nowadays mypuppylinux site more.

Benchmarking Iron I got 2.5 x better result with Iron and Upup than FF 3.5.8 and Stardust > http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

But adventures to be continued....

Jim1911

#160 Post by Jim1911 »

Occasionally, the UUID is required in order for grub to properly recognize a puppy installation. To find the UUID, Gparted is run, highlight the partition that you want information on, then look at Partition, Information to find the UUID. For some reason, it is missing on the installed version 4.5. I installed the latest 5.1, but it has the same problem so I believe that something is missing in upup that it needs. This problem with Gparted doesn't exist in 431, dpup, Lighthouse, and others that I've used.
Attachments
gparted.png
(173.05 KiB) Downloaded 552 times

01micko

#161 Post by 01micko »

I compiled seamonkey -2.0.3 for upup... not happy with size at 15MB, but it seems to work fine

http://www.dpup.org/01Micko/browsers/Se ... p-i486.pet

checksum: 95b404356fca5bba73e2c7994ded8e7e

NOTE: this, AFAIK, will only work in Upup, it fails in 431.

Cheers

James C

#162 Post by James C »

Thanks for the SeaMonkey pet........works great..... :)

nooby

#163 Post by nooby »

pemasu wrote:01micko. Sorry to hear iron.sfs didnt work. Good to hear that user/group chown wasnt right. Still have a lot to learn howto ftp upload preserving chown and chmod attributes right. And maybe my access rights gives hiccup. Maybe using nowadays mypuppylinux site more.

Benchmarking Iron I got 2.5 x better result with Iron and Upup than FF 3.5.8 and Stardust > http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

But adventures to be continued....
Do you know if Iron browser are better at rendering streaming vieos in Upup than Seamoneky or Firefox are. I have too huge delays for my taste.

I will test seamoneky 2.01 today if it download fast.

Edit

I did test but having two seamoney at same time was not liked by the software so none of them worked.

Micko thanks. So Choppy is the word to use for the delay in rendering of videos? Jerky maybe will be understood too. choppy maybe is best.
I try to remember to use that one then.
Last edited by nooby on Mon 01 Mar 2010, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#164 Post by 01micko »

Hello nooby,

Just from the eye, rendering of flash videos seems almost identical in Iron browser and the Seamonkey-2.0.3 browser I compiled on my machine, an oldish Athlon-xp 2100+ with 768MB RAM and Radeon-9200 pro video card (128MB graphics ram) . It's almost perfect on the webpage but if I go to full screen it is a little choppy in both Iron and Seamonkey, about the same.

For rendering of sites I think I prefer Iron just over Seamonkey, just a little faster.

Hope this helps

edit: No worries nooby, ... choppy, jerky.. describe the same thing um a new post would have been better! At least i would have seen it sooner.. :) [/b]

playdayz

New Software Links

#165 Post by playdayz »

I updated these Software Links on the first message in this thread.

Seamonkey 2.0.3 by 02micko. This is great to have SM 2 compiled for uPup. It seems fast and stable. I bet that with Seamonkey and Iron and Firefox 3.6 we have the three fastest browsers in the Puppy world ;-) BTW, Iron has updated to Iron 4.0.275.2 (about two weeks ago, I think); just follow the link in the first message.

Desktop Recorder. Courtesy of gposil, Dpup, and aarf.

Firefox 3.6. The link is to the main Firefox Download page.

Flashplayer has updated to 10.0.45. The link in the first message is updated. I tested and it worked with hulu.com full screen.

In trying to use dir2pet in 4.58, I received the following error message. Does anyone have any ideas? It does a similar thing in 4.3.1 but it goes ahead and finishes. Have I forgotten something obvious?

Code: Select all

GUI window
Press ENTER key to bring up a GUI window that will help you to create
a database entry for the package. This will be shown in a text editor
for saving somewhere, also written to file 'pet.specs' inside the pkg.
Press ENTER: 

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 16, near token '</default>': syntax error

aborting...
Aborted creation of PET package.
# 
@Beem, I think the way to account for upups 4.76 and 4.60 might be to just jump the next version to 4.77, and then we will have a long way to 4.99, but we would probably go to 5 when Puppy does. Comments?

01micko

#166 Post by 01micko »

playdayz

Are you trying to use dir2pet under "puppy pfix=ram"? That is what you get when you do that in any recent puppy. I had no problem after making a save file. It may be dependant on "PUPMODE", but I don't know for sure.

Cheers

EDIT: Today Barry announced latest woof. Don't rush out and build Upup-478 (???... that's fine by me if you shift to 47x) on account of that. This is a very stable and usable Upup, I use it often. I've done all my recent Startmount work in it. The big deal is that Barry also announced a bugfix to dir2pet. The behaviour you mention I think may happen under some other conditions as well. I reported that behaviour in Quirky-006 but felt like a real idiot when I discovered it worked fine once I saved, but, I think dir2pet did work correctly running "pfix=ram" in earlier puppies (I could be wrong there too, been awhile!)

jrb

#167 Post by jrb »

playdayz wrote:In trying to use dir2pet in 4.58, I received the following error message.
I get the same error message and abort in puppy432 if I try to make a pet with no version number, i.e. eth0. If I rename the folder to eth0-1 it works fine.

ninoid

#168 Post by ninoid »

I have problem with keyboard layout.

Why in xorg.conf my layout change to 'cz' from 'hr' on every boot?

aarf

#169 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:want to get this http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/har ... ool.1.html working in upup. it manipulates mobile phones content.
searching in puppy package manager for obex returns obexd client and obex data server with a least a big 6mb of needed dependences. dont know if i need these.
any one want to give a step by step on how to proceed? or make a pet?
jemimah may have done the obex pets and dependency stuff at Bluez 4.61 with GUI

shankargopal

#170 Post by shankargopal »

Hi,

I'm new to Upup, though an old puppy user and using dpup now for several months. Thought I'd give Upup a whirl. It looks nice, I like the icon scheme etc.

But one question - don't know if this has already been addressed, couldn't find it when I skimmed the thread - I find Upup 4.58 very slow on this machine. I'm running it from a 16GB VFAT flash drive without a pupsave yet, on a machine that has 3GB RAM and a dual core E250 at 2.5Ghz (no, this is not my usual system, or I would be a very happy man :) ). Dpup, Puppeee, Lighthouse etc. and even Linux Mint in persistent mode fly on this machine. But in upup, windows don't redraw without a one or two second delay, the menu takes a second to open and another to redraw, etc. Seems odd.

I's an intel video card, xorg.conf attached (not a zip file, just change the extension).
Attachments
xorg.conf.zip
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 596 times