Karmic Puppy uPup 4.58 w/ GLX/DRI - Latest Woof FEB 16

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#136 Post by 01micko »

Hi playdayz

I think aarf is right there, the rox bug is fixed in woof, so it should be ok in any new build.

Also zigbert upgraded Pwidgets to 2.4.0 with my fixes and it works fine, the libxcb issue was also an issue in LHP, a very popular puplet which I think TazOC has based around spup. (slackware 13)

Keep woofing in my opinion. :) It is starting to mature as a build system for puppy and the more who use and test, the more bugs can be squashed. It is the Ubuntu way anyway, cutting edge, whereas Debian is more "tried and true".

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#137 Post by pemasu »

I made sfs of SRWare Iron 17 Mb. I included locales of english and finnish only, but if there is interest to all locales, it is not problem to load another version with all locales. I saved about 5 Mb removing what I dont need.
Sfs installs Iron to Menu > Internet. Works for me, hopefully with others too....

http://lhpup.org/team/pemasu/Iron.sfs

playdayz

New uPup 4.58

#138 Post by playdayz »

Beem, I agree that we need to figure out a plan concerning version numbers. Not only for uPup but there could be versions of Slack Puppy, Arch Puppy, Dpup, and T2 and Quirky, all "competing" for the same set of numbers. I will pm Barry because he is the one to say.

Pemasu, I like Iron too. it was my original reason for learning Woof to make uPup, so I could run Iron. No joke. I do this to the fonts in Iron: Options -> Under the Hood -> Change font and language settings and then I change the sans-serif font to Deja Vu Sans. It is easier to read, on my screen anyway. Thanks for the sfs.

There is a new version of uPup, 4.58. The Rox select problem is fixed and it contains libdrm-radeon1. It is funny about the Rox bug--there is indeed a fix in /etc/profile, but it did not work in Upup, plus it made a problem with opening Terminal. aarf's code worked just fine though. There is more discussion and links in the first message of this thread.

aarf

#139 Post by aarf »

458 >can we have a xdelta or two please?

01micko

#140 Post by 01micko »

hi playdayz

Grabbing 458 now.

I must admit, I never tried to solve that wallpaper bug in Pwidgets. I hacked the wallpaper setter for the pwidgets functionality and had it as a separate package, it worked fine then, but since zigbert introduced the files in the main pwidgets package the bug has been there. There must be a line of code that doesn't work as intended. I will take a look soon enough. :wink:

Strange that rox bug required a manual fix, ah well at least it is fixed.

I like your "Mission Statement'. You are to be commended for that. 8)

I'll get back to you later with a report once I have 458 up and running.

aarf, I'll see how we go with the delta. :wink:

Cheers

James C

#141 Post by James C »

Did a frugal install of 458 on my trusty P3 test box and installed Firefox 3.6.....everything is working fine so far in brief testing.

Concerning the version numbering.......... in order to keep things orderly on this box with 9 Puppy installs I use the number and first letter of the base distro. 458U, 484D, 451S and so forth. Just an idea..... :)

pemasu

#142 Post by pemasu »

Thanks for the Iron tip. Havent change the font yet or installed extra fonts. Noticed that there is issue with default fonts.

Xdelta would be highly appreciated. No need to download full iso. And it is easy to use from commandline as well with the GUI.

01micko

#143 Post by 01micko »

Bugger!

I can't find my upup-457.iso anywhere. I have a feeling I downloaded it when I was running as "pfix=ram" and didn't save.

I made a 456 to 458 Xdelta but it is around 30meg. If people want it I'll post it, but the usual thing is to keep these things sequential as to not cause confusion, so I prefer not to post it. :cry: (sorry aarf)

So far 458 seems quite solid and stable, no complaints :) .

pemasu, your Iron sfs won't work for me, I get "Illegal operation" error from a terminal in 458.

Cheers

pemasu

#144 Post by pemasu »

01micko. Thanks of the info. It might even be permissions problem. I have noticed that when i have ftp uploaded I have had issues with permissions. I check them and make new upload over the existing one. I will try downloaded one first.

aarf

#145 Post by aarf »

01micko wrote:Bugger!

I can't find my upup-457.iso anywhere. I have a feeling I downloaded it when I was running as "pfix=ram" and didn't save.

I made a 456 to 458 Xdelta but it is around 30meg. If people want it I'll post it, but the usual thing is to keep these things sequential as to not cause confusion, so I prefer not to post it. :cry: (sorry aarf)

Cheers
i have 456 and 457
also a tested 456:457delta at about 9mb and
md5sum f0c73dc17ed1d706ea927c667a9fe3d7 upup-456.iso_upup-457.iso.delta
which i am currently uploading to http://www.mypuppylinux.com/browse/Default.asp it may get moved somewhere else on there. may take a while to upload and i dont have an upload meter or idea how long. download is about 10k/sec.
edit: it is there now, size is different so check the md5sum

i am happy to download 30mb, or if you want to use the 456:457 for a new xdelta457:458 your choice.
Last edited by aarf on Sun 21 Feb 2010, 14:44, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#146 Post by pemasu »

01micko. Using now newly uploaded and downloaded version of iron.sfs. I changed permissions. Dont know if it helps. But Iron works for me in 457. 458 not installed yet. Please, test and report.

Aarf. Thanks of xdelta and download link.
Delta link is http://www.mypuppylinux.com/upload/upup ... .iso.delta

457 to 458 xdelta file still needed. Going to download the 458.iso.
.... uploading now 20 Mb http://www.mypuppylinux.com/upload/457. ... .iso.delta
MD5 sum 0ae23da8ad368f1a7ec48dcc07f3ab0a
Sorry my naming, I have tendency to save files as simple as possible.

Playdayz. Font change in Iron to Deja Vu Sans did the trick. Looks nice now.

Is it ok to use old savefile with the latest version.

playdayz

#147 Post by playdayz »

I will start investigating how to use xdelta. I have never used it before. That is a good request--it should be done.

BTW, if anyone wants earlier uPup iso's, just change the name of the download in the first message from the current upup-458.iso to the upup that you want, for instance, upup-457.iso. They are all still there on the server.

I will watch and see how your xdeltas go. If it works smoothly I can mirror on my server so it will all be together.

Jim1911

#148 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi playdayz,
This upup458 is the most solid version yet. I haven't noted any problems.

I've added pwidgets, firefox 3.6, wine, and even have e-Sword951 running under wine.
Cheers,
Jim :D

timremy

#149 Post by timremy »

hello playdayz,

upup 458 nice for me.

but then 457 was nice too.

great work.

timremy

playdayz

#150 Post by playdayz »

pemasu
Is it ok to use old savefile with the latest version.
If I understand correctly what you mean (if it is a question), Puppy is designed to be able to update while using the same pupsave file. That is what will happen I believe if you use a newer version and select the pupsave from a previous version--it will ask if you want to update. I have not been testing the update functio-- that is an oversight on my part and I will add it to the list. If your pupsave has important things in it I would suggest backing up before attempting to update. Others know much more than I do about this--perhaps they will have comments. Or possibly, it was not a question and you were reporting that you had successfully updated???

pemasu

#151 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Yes, it was a question. I have frugal installs in their own subdirs. I have replaced initrd.gz, vmlinuz and sfs from the newer version and used the existing savefile. But I have read that sometimes this will cause wierd behavior and errors. Anyway I decided to start with new savefile.

Iron prints with HP Laserjet 1020. Google Chrome has bug which prevents printing so this comes as pleasant bonus.
Last edited by pemasu on Mon 22 Feb 2010, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#152 Post by aarf »

pemasu wrote: .... uploading now 20 Mb http://www.mypuppylinux.com/upload/457. ... .iso.delta
have created a MD5 sum correct upup458 from this delta on a FAT file system and booted it.

aarf

#153 Post by aarf »

there were some problems at initial install as before with read-only and portable opera and then that seems to have corrupted vmlinuz when i tried to create pupsave to the read-only drive. also possibly my defective SDcard reader was at fault somewhere in there too.

however after the initial problems i created a pupsave before attempting to use my portable opera and now all is fine and my portable opera works.

further on the plus side desktop recorded and now pwireless2 (see issues) are working in upup458.

nooby

#154 Post by nooby »

I downloaded the iso again because something must have happened to it during download last time so now with a fresh start all worked. I am writing from 458 now.

If I find anything unusual I report.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#155 Post by playdayz »

hey pemasu, I posted the link to your xdelta file right under the main download link to uPup 4.58 in the first message in this thread. I will try to make one of my own for the next release, but I am not sure how soon a next release will be needed. If that is inconvenient for you, to have the link posted, let me know and I will move it to my server, cool name your server has btw.

Also, on the update procedure you describe (manually putting the new files into the same directory as the old pupsave), I think that it would be the same as booting a new version and letting it update an old installed version. But I would sure back up beforehand. Starting fresh is always safer.