Karmic Puppy uPup 4.58 w/ GLX/DRI - Latest Woof FEB 16

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#121 Post by playdayz »

01micko, you win the Mr. T award for Tenaciousness. Thanks. I will certainly be including it next time--what is puzzling me is why it is not there to begin with. This is a big learning experience for me. I was experimenting with the ati installer tonight also. It was working nicely for me with a 3850. The proprietary ati fglrx driver runs glxgears with about twice the frame rate of the xorg radeonhd driver. I am going to write up a how to since I think that might work for some people (with newer ati cards it sounds like).

<edit> ah-ha, in looking at Woof, I see where it should be--Barry takes it out of course, in order to get the simplest and smallest xorg. That's one of the things I have been doing, making sure all the glx/dri (and now drm!) files are installed. From what I see there was only libdrm_intel, lib_drm_nouveau, and one other--you probably solved problems for some other people too. Plus, I will be able to use the regular Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic files, which should be a good thing for compatibility and stability.

01micko

#122 Post by 01micko »

Aw gee... thanks!

I now will do a clean frugal make sure it is all good, lots of crap in my system at the moment.. I get segmentation fault when i try to run glxgears... probably a conflict with the catylist driver which is still there and includes it's own version of glx gears.

Ah, just saw your edit.. good!!!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

timremy

#124 Post by timremy »

hello

i am running 457 on an intel m proc 900mhz.

no problem, connects and works.

timremy

ps: 456 worked good too.

aarf

#125 Post by aarf »

With reference to :http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01389
and the fixed profile in Dpup484
upup457 can be fixed by pasting

Code: Select all

#v4.84 Rox select problem
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true

ulimit -c 0
if [ `id -gn` = `id -un` -a `id -u` -gt 14 ]; then
 umask 002
else
 umask 022
fi
USER=`id -un`
PS1="# "
LOGNAME=$USER
HISTSIZE=1000
HISTFILE="$HOME/.history"
EDITOR=mp
INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
into /etc/profile immediately ABOVE this line:

Code: Select all

#v2.16 this need arose when considering SFS files that may require special env. variables.
#this code is lifted straight from Vector...
or you can try an overwrite of /usr/profile with the CONTENTS of the attached file
Attachments
profile.tar.gz
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 431 times

dalderton

#126 Post by dalderton »

01micko The widget worked perfectly on my hard disc install. I just had to reset the wallpaper and all was well.
Strangely xsetnumlock does not work on upup and also the keyboard setup shows dvorak keyboard but does not load it. This is the first puppy derivative that these two functions did not work on.
Regards Dennis

Farwater

#127 Post by Farwater »

01micko wrote:playdayz... great news..

I now have my widescreen working and the "radeon" driver loading.

Here is the link where I got the rpm... http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/ ... adeon.so.1

NOTE: I used the i586 Fedora 11 version.. I figured it would be closest in kernel and xorg version.

Cheers
Hi 01micko and playdays,
I faced the same problem with 457 and my ATI X300 card (r200 radeon driver). Adding the file from the 01micko's link didn't solve the problem. I fetched the original Koala's .deb and it worked properly.
Attached to this message please find the corresponding library isolated in a single pet-patch.
Another problem I found were occasional over-usages of CPU by Xorg (detected while running vesa driver). I'll keep monitoring this issue and give you a more detailed report.
For other parts, everything seems ok so far (using for several hours already): video, sound, lan, wireless, keyboard switching.
Tons of thanks to playdayz and Barry! :)
Attachments
koala_radeon_fix.pet
(6.95 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

Farwater

#128 Post by Farwater »

I found 2 things which can be called 'glitches'
1. If I delete a file which is being edited in NicoEdit, this file editing session becomes trapped, so I can not use the 'Save' command. NicoEdit refuses to save it. Only 'Save as' solves the problem. This is a small issue, surely.
2. The desktop panel requires me to click on icons sometimes one time, sometimes 2 times to launch a program. This is quite annoying. I guess, it is a ROX issue. What might it be...?

01micko

#129 Post by 01micko »

Hello Farwater,

Good job finding that .deb to fix the radeon issue. I couldn't find it.

With the rox issue, does aarf's fix above fix it?

Cheers

Farwater

#130 Post by Farwater »

01micko wrote:Hello Farwater,
With the rox issue, does aarf's fix above fix it?
Oh yes! :) It was the case. (I should have noticed it from the beginning)

playdayz

Back in business

#131 Post by playdayz »

Hello everyone, My paying job, winter, and some other stuff ate all all my attention for a couple of weeks, but I have now started on a new uPup version. I want to include the drm correction--my first attempt will be to use the Ubuntu files. Also the fix for the problem with with a file staying selected, using aarf's fix. I will try to include Pwidgets as sign of Puppy solidarity. I will look back over the comments to see if there is anything else, but please remind me if you see something I have forgotten. Thank you.

I would also like to hear opinions about the method of making this uPup. Whether 1) to make one build and then work on refining it--this is how Dpup has worked and it is the usual model of preparing a release. Or 2) to track the latest Woof and build uPup every 2 weeks or so with the latest Woof. We have been doing #2. I kind of like the idea of tracking Woof--with the goal of helping to make a Woof that anyone could use to build a working uPup (or Karmic Puppy). But tracking Woof does mean a higher level of problems, because of changes Bary makes in Woof (remember the problem with a full install) and also accidents in building the new uPup, etc. On the other hand, tracking Woof does mean taking advantage of improvements Barry makes in Woof--and also being able to test the Karmic Puppy build and feed any fixes back to Barry. So I guess I have convinced myself ;-) However, if anyone wanted to go for method #1 and shape a build towards a full release, I would be happy to provide all my notes (well, I am planning to do that anyway).

aarf's fix for rox select problem. I have added it to the working build of 4.58. The place to add it is, I think, /rootfs-skeleton/etc/profile

I have also told Woof to include all of the libdrm-* files

Jim1911

#132 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:2) to track the latest Woof and build uPup every 2 weeks or so with the latest Woof. We have been doing #2. I kind of like the idea of tracking Woof--with the goal of helping to make a Woof that anyone could use to build a working uPup (or Karmic Puppy).
Works for me.
Cheers,
Jim

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#133 Post by Béèm »

Hi Playdayz,
As I have said before, I still work on upup 466 and 476 depending on the machine.
So I am still uncomfortable with the naming convention of 457.
As mostly the higher is considered the better.
What will you do if you reach 466 or higher?
Note that I appreciate the efforts done.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pemasu

#134 Post by pemasu »

I second the second. Woof improvements are highly appreciated.

aarf

#135 Post by aarf »

fix for rox select problem: from what i can figure out, if you use the latest woof to build the next upup, the rox fix is already there somehow in the upgraded woof. see links to bkblog above.

01micko

#136 Post by 01micko »

Hi playdayz

I think aarf is right there, the rox bug is fixed in woof, so it should be ok in any new build.

Also zigbert upgraded Pwidgets to 2.4.0 with my fixes and it works fine, the libxcb issue was also an issue in LHP, a very popular puplet which I think TazOC has based around spup. (slackware 13)

Keep woofing in my opinion. :) It is starting to mature as a build system for puppy and the more who use and test, the more bugs can be squashed. It is the Ubuntu way anyway, cutting edge, whereas Debian is more "tried and true".

Cheers

pemasu

#137 Post by pemasu »

I made sfs of SRWare Iron 17 Mb. I included locales of english and finnish only, but if there is interest to all locales, it is not problem to load another version with all locales. I saved about 5 Mb removing what I dont need.
Sfs installs Iron to Menu > Internet. Works for me, hopefully with others too....

http://lhpup.org/team/pemasu/Iron.sfs

playdayz

New uPup 4.58

#138 Post by playdayz »

Beem, I agree that we need to figure out a plan concerning version numbers. Not only for uPup but there could be versions of Slack Puppy, Arch Puppy, Dpup, and T2 and Quirky, all "competing" for the same set of numbers. I will pm Barry because he is the one to say.

Pemasu, I like Iron too. it was my original reason for learning Woof to make uPup, so I could run Iron. No joke. I do this to the fonts in Iron: Options -> Under the Hood -> Change font and language settings and then I change the sans-serif font to Deja Vu Sans. It is easier to read, on my screen anyway. Thanks for the sfs.

There is a new version of uPup, 4.58. The Rox select problem is fixed and it contains libdrm-radeon1. It is funny about the Rox bug--there is indeed a fix in /etc/profile, but it did not work in Upup, plus it made a problem with opening Terminal. aarf's code worked just fine though. There is more discussion and links in the first message of this thread.

aarf

#139 Post by aarf »

458 >can we have a xdelta or two please?

01micko

#140 Post by 01micko »

hi playdayz

Grabbing 458 now.

I must admit, I never tried to solve that wallpaper bug in Pwidgets. I hacked the wallpaper setter for the pwidgets functionality and had it as a separate package, it worked fine then, but since zigbert introduced the files in the main pwidgets package the bug has been there. There must be a line of code that doesn't work as intended. I will take a look soon enough. :wink:

Strange that rox bug required a manual fix, ah well at least it is fixed.

I like your "Mission Statement'. You are to be commended for that. 8)

I'll get back to you later with a report once I have 458 up and running.

aarf, I'll see how we go with the delta. :wink:

Cheers