Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 15 Nov 2019, 09:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
ProducerPup421
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
drphysic

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2010, 17:24    Post subject: ProducerPup Loading issues
Subject description: How do I trial on a laptop with 256Mb RAM?

I have a boot CD of ProducerPup, but cannot override the RAM load of the *.sfs file on a machine with only 256Mb of RAM, and clearly that is not enough to load ProducerPup. The laptop, a P Series Lifebook, has an HD installed Puppy 4.3.1 running, and I would expect eventually to run ProducerPup in the same manner, if I could get it to load. Any suggestions?

I wonder about simply replacing the files on the HD with those on the CD and rebooting...
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010, 14:02    Post subject: Can't boot CD -- Try booting from Hard Drive  

I wouldn't recommend replacing 4.31 with producerpup until you're sure producerpu will run on you Lifebook. And you didn't indicate if you 4.31 is a Full or Frugal install. If the former, you can't just replace the files.

Before the producerpup CD starts its boot sequence, try typing the following:

puppy pfix=noramsfs

If that works, or even if it doesn't, you can try creating a frugal install with that boot parameter.

Since 4.31 will boot, try the following:

Boot 4.31. Create a producerpup directory (no more than one-level down). Place Producerpup CD in CD-Rom and mount it. Copy the following files to producerpup Directory:
initrd.gz, pup_421.sfs, vmlinuz. Browse to Grub's menu.lst. Open it in geany and "SAVE AS" menu_old.lst. (In case something goes wrong, you can boot using a 4.31 CD, and rename menu_old.lst to menu.lst). Close menu_old.lst. Re-open menu.lst, and copy your puppy 4.31 specs, pasting a 2nd version. Edit the second version to reflect producerpup's directory, (and, if different, drive/partition). I haven't had to use it, but I think "puppy pfix=noramsfs" (without the quotes) is to be included on the line beginning with "kernel /" (without the quotes).

If, and when, you get it working, you can delete a 4.31 FRUGAL install and revise your menu.lst accordingly. If you have a 4.31 FULL install, I think you'll have to use gparted to create of separate partition, install producerpup, letting grub overwrite your current grub before you delete 4.31. Or perhaps even better, but less easy to change, if your Lifebook can boot from its USB port, try installing producerpup to a USB Key, as a frugal install, and then use that to do a full install to your hard drive. One of the few advantages of a full install is that they use less ram. A disadvantage is that handling sfses is much more difficult.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 09 Mar 2010, 14:29; edited 1 time in total
drphysic

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar 2010, 14:23    Post subject: ProducerPup Boot from HD  

Thanks for the suggestions, was using "puppy pfix=noram" during boot sequence, will try the variation when I return from a class in El Paso.

Note that I have Puppy Linux running on 3 Fujitzu Lifebooks, 2 B series and 1 P series, the latter a full HDD install, the others frugal with Win2K or WinXP.

Hope to be able to setup any of them with your puplet. Thanks, drphysic
PupGeek

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar 2010, 18:03    Post subject:  

I had that same problem when trying to use MediaPup(based on puppy 4.1.2). My workaround was to boot up puppy 4.1.1. After startup, I loaded the MediaPup cd and copied the MediaPup sfs file to my HD, renamed it as a .sfs (e.g. Module_411.sfs) module and it loaded that way once i had a pup_save file created. It appeared to work very well that way. If you do a full hard drive install, it is supposed to install the whole puppy including any .sfs modules that are loaded and packages that are installed.

BTW, Don't bother trying this from Puppy 4.3, as it uses a newer .squashfs that is incompatible with the old ones. You would be better off using a live puppy 4.2 for this one..... But truly, the best way is to have at least 512 Mb RAM with a 1Gb swap partition.
drphysic

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar 2010, 20:29    Post subject: ProducerPup frugal install
Subject description: Loading failed ...

Based upon Pupgeek's comments, would this explain why trying the mods to my frugal install for pup4.3.1 didn't work, finding the following error on loading:

Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem...kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"

and then hung?

Note that I also installed Audacity in pup4.3.1 and though it appeared to install properly, it wouldn't run, either in a full HDD or frugal install systems.

drphysic
Hareton

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar 2010, 10:56    Post subject: Thanks and Problems  

First, I'd really like to thank PupGeek for putting together this marvellous package. Ever since I discovered Puppy Linux I dreamed of a drum machine in the form of an old Laptop with Hydrogen running on it. Alas, with my compiling skills, I never could get Hydrogen to work with Puppy and so I resigned myself to wait till someone else came up with a solution. Next time I do a Murga search ProducerPup pups up and, yes, I'm in heaven. Hydrogen runs stable, LMMS runs stable, Audacity works perfectly, add to that Gimp and Wine and I have found the Puppy of my dreams!
Now on to the problem reports:
-
1) Yes, I too got booted out of the bootup when I tried to install ProducerPup to my Toshiba Satellite PIII 900MHz 256 Ram machine. It took a while till I found the solution or rather the solution found me:
First I tried the pfixes, but no version of it would work.
Then I thought of remastering the CD to bring it below the 256 MB, but again no luck as Remax complained about some missing files list and refused to cooperate.
At that point I was a bit disheartened but thankfully the solution came by itself when I loaded a smaller Puplet (in my case Puppy Arcade, ~100MB, based on TurboPup) and let it dump it's sfs file on one of the partitions. Next time I put in the ProdP CD it booted and I was able to do the install with no problems.
2) Network seems to be a bit unreliable. Mostly it works but occasionally the Internet just isn't there. The Network Wizard does find a live network and tells me it could get an address, still the net applications can't connect.
This problem occurred on both my desktop machine with an USB connection and on the Laptop with LAN connection to the DSL modem . It never happened on the other Puppys I tried (Puppy 4.1, Puppy Arcade)
But this is more of a minor issue as it doesn't happen that often and seems to be corrected with a reboot.
-
Thanks again for your great work and cheers!
(And no, neither Producer Puppy V1.1 nor 421 ever froze on me at shutdown)
PupGeek

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar 2010, 17:34    Post subject:  

Thank you hareton. I cant tell you how Remax should work, as I have never really used it before. I have only used the other remaster tool. It's always worked well for me. I got the packages from of ArtistX 0.5 and some from the slackware repo, so they were all binaries. I have never had a problem connecting to the net, so that part strikes me as really odd. With wireless, it can be a bit weird with the steps involved, click on the "connect" icon, select your wireless device (making sure it is turned on, of course), then get an address with dhcp, then press the "wireless" button and scan for networks and choose one to connect to. After selecting your network, you need to get another dhcp address. Unfortunately, I cannot be of much help if you are having trouble with a direct wired lan connection.

@ drphysic: what messages do you get when you try to run Audacity from the commandline?..... If you are using my "hassle-free roxapps" on pup4.3, they also use the older squashfs and cannot be used until converted. Also puppy 4.3 appears to be missing some libraries that were present in 4.2 (or maybe I placed them there and don't remember). Anyways, try executing audacity from the command line. It can tell you why the program is not running. It may be missing one or several dependencies and you will need to add the one it says and try it again and may have to add more.... It could take patience, so prepare yourself.
qaz

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr 2010, 16:21    Post subject: analog video capture
Subject description: pulling my hair out

Hi,

I have a Happanauge WInTV150 pci card with an iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder chip on it. Is there anything in ProducerPup that would capture video from this card?
Or another program suggestion?

thanks,

q a z
PupGeek

PostPosted: Fri 09 Apr 2010, 17:20    Post subject:  

Actually qaz, I did not intentionally include anything that would capture analog video, but KdeNLiVE does support capture from firewire. Kino is another app that supports firewire capture, and I think that is the only type of capture I have seen supported to date with linux video software. I did not include any DVR type software either, so if this is a TV card, then ProducerPup doesn't have anything to use that with.
qaz

PostPosted: Fri 09 Apr 2010, 17:59    Post subject: was looking for analog capture  

Thanks for the reply. The card was a special package for Win media center. I did manage to get it working with ivtv and vlc, but not as well as I'd hoped. Producer Pup is great, I appreciate your making this available
PupGeek

PostPosted: Sat 10 Apr 2010, 18:01    Post subject:  

you should start a thread about that situation, you might be able to get some suggestions to make it work better, such as improved drivers or better software.
Page 2 of 2 [26 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: