How to tell modem connection speed?

Booting, installing, newbie
martymae

How to tell modem connection speed?

#1 Post by martymae »

Is there a way to determine the modem connection speed in Puppy 1.06? I'm using an old 33.6 internal hardware modem for now. Using WVdial to connect, couldn't get the GKdial to work with my setup.

Have done a hard drive install, dual booting with Win98SE, and in Windows the modem connects at anywhere from 16.2 up to 33.6. When see I've gotten a really slow connection I reconnect until I get a good one. Would like to be able to do the same with Puppy.

I'm new here, and fairly new to Linux. I've had a little experience with Simply Mepis and Beatrix. I love Puppy, really frisky on this PII 266, with only 128meg ram. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I learn more and try more things with Puppy.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

yes, this was discussed in another thread, and a solution posted.

...I just did a search, can't find the thread. Anyone know where it is?

jcoder24

#3 Post by jcoder24 »

#4 Post by Guest »

Thanks Barry and jcoder for responding. I looked in /etc/ppp/connect-errors and it is blank. Maybe because I'm using wvdial, the other thread was about GKdial. I can't get GKdial to work.

Oh well, it's not that important. I can tell when the connection is really slow by the slow page loads. I have a 56k hardware modem that I'll put in when I get to it. That should help a lot.

martymae

#5 Post by martymae »

Oops! Forgot to log in before posting. That was me in the last post.

Glitchman

Blank in xeznet too, but xeznet already displays the speed

#6 Post by Glitchman »

My /etc/ppp/connect-errors is also blank with a timestamp of May 6, 2003. It could be because I use xeznet, the only dialer that works for me. Anyway I just open xeznet either from the start menu or from the systray in fvwm95. I then click File - See log... and it shows my connection speed inside there. The only problem is that it does not show if I dial by other means (i.e. copying a portion of the log and using that as a script from the command line.)