Released 4.3.1 Japanese Edition

News, happenings
YoN

Released 4.3.1 Japanese Edition

#1 Post by YoN »

We Puppy Linux Japanese Team take great pride in announcing that we released 4.3.1 Japanese version!

We could released 4.3.1JP many advanced contribution by Shinobar and many forum member.

There are more bug fixs from original english version though 4.3.1 is a bug fix from version 4.3.

There are three kinds of ISO files. Please see the release note in detail.
4.3.1JP Release note in english:
4.3.1JPRelease note

You can download 4.3.1JP isos from Puppy Linux Openlab English site.

Download:
431JP(119MB) : Newest kernel 2.6.30.5
Last edited by YoN on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 05:28, edited 2 times in total.

russoodle

#2 Post by russoodle »

Congratulations YoN....it looks like very much hard work has gone into your JP release...i hope there'll be many very happy users :-)

Grub4Dos looks great!

(I've placed a link to your download site on my links page)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Very nice logo on your booter:)
Added your Image and link here.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/japaneseLanguage
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

YoNs Puplet has a brilliant Startup.

Note to other developers.
Much easier for newbies.

Chris.

puppyiso

#5 Post by puppyiso »

Most increases in the size of the ISO file are due to the dictionary for Japanese(or Koeran, Chinese, etc) input.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you be more specific about the statememt?

Can I type Korean letters?

John

shinobar

#6 Post by shinobar »

puppyiso wrote:Can I type Korean letters?
Puppy Linux 4.3.1 Japanese Edition is basically Japanese/English bilingual.
You need additional sfs files from here for extra languages.

(Edit:18 Dec 2009)Found that lang_support_ko/zh-0.5 on 4.3.1JP hangs X server.
Use lang_support_ko/zh-0.6_431 for 4.3.1JP.
  • lang_support_ko-0.6_431.sfs ... Korean
  • lang_support_zh-0.6_431.sfs ... Chinese(simplified and traditional)
  • lang_support_additional-0.1-sfs4.sfs ... Others including Thai, Hindi, and etc..

mikeslr

431 Japanese Edition Solves Wireless Problem

#7 Post by mikeslr »

To YoN, Shinobar and the rest of the Japanese Team --Great Job! javascript:emoticon(':o')

To Puppy Fans who don't read or write Japanese and so may have been reluctant to try this Puplet, put aside your concerns. I don't read or write Japanese either.
This is the first Puppy based on the 2.6.30.5 kernel which enabled me to access the internet using my wireless adapter. Barry K's didn't. Sadly, ttuuxx's didn't. And tempestuous' extra drivers didn't. I have a D-Link WNA 1330. I works fine in the 2 & 3 series using ndiswrapper, and in the 4.1 series using the built-in Atheros driver. I don't recall having a wireless problem with the 4.2 series, but as it didn't work well on my Thinkpad 600e, didn't use it much. I should note that to get on the internet using Barry K's 431 retro, which uses the 2.6.25.16 kernel, I had to resort to ndiswrapper. And while I'm happy with my remastered 4.12, curiosity and concern for "being left behind" by technological advances spurred a desire to find a Puppy based on the newest kernel which "just worked." Therefore, I'm pleased to report that the pup-431jp.iso does and I am writing from a LiveCD burned using it. I must admit that I have not, as yet, tried tempestuous' madwifi-hal.pet,
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47267 and, so, am using ndiswrapper, but my philosophy is that "a bird in the hand is better than no hand at all." I have hope that it will work. I first tried the Japanese Team's retro version, based on the k2.6.21.7 kernel, pup-431retrojp-RC4. It gave me access to the internet via a built-in ath_pci driver. Hopefully, the driver tempestuous compiled for k2.6.30.5 in the above referenced pet is the one I need.
I must also admit that as someone with no ability for languages other than English, its a bit disconcerting even after selecting the "en-USA" keyboard during boot to discover a desktop whose icons are labeled in Japanese and whose menus are a mixture of Japanese and English. But the Japanese Team has thoughtfully placed on the start-up desktop the "Help" html, at whose top was a link with the word "English." Clicking it gave me instructions in English, with pictures, on how to change the default language to English by clicking on the "Setup Icon." Following the instructions, within a minute I had the Puppy desktop with which I was familiar. Within 5 minutes, I was on the net.

I haven't tried many of the included apps, nor had the chance to install any apps or load any sfs'. I'll report back. So far only a small niggle: With English as the default language, the spell check in Abiword doesn't seem to, and it lacks a thesaurus. So I'll probably replace this version of Abiword and, if necessary, install the Artha pet.

But it seems I now have a solid base for taking Puppy into the future.

Thanks again, Japanese Team. Well done!

MikesLr

mikeslr

Still Happy with 4.3.1 Japanese Edition

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again:

In the hope that I might be able to help other potential users in making the most of this Puplet, and the Devs to improve an already solid OS, I decided to make and send notes of what did, and didn't, work for me.

On reboot after creating the first save file:
wireless settings had not been saved, and while the Menu was entirely in English, the labels under the icons used Japanese characters.
Having nothing to loose, I Installed the madwifi driver. This not only did not get me to the internet, I could not successfully revert to using ndiswrapper.
So I deleted all the 431JP files and copied the XP wireless driver to the partition where new 431JP files would be housed. (The prior location was on a different partition). I’m not certain that this was necessary because, unlike my first attempt, this time when loading ndiswrapper I chose to blacklist the ath5k alternate.
Rebooting after Save, my wireless settings had been saved and I was able to get on the internet just by clicking browse. However, once again, desktop icons had Japanese titles. Opening the notes I had taken in Abiword revealed that some of the characters preceding, including and immediately following my use of quotation marks (“

shinobar

Re: Still Happy with 4.3.1 Japanese Edition

#9 Post by shinobar »

Hi mikeslr, tnx for the report.
mikeslr wrote:while the Menu was entirely in English, the labels under the icons used Japanese characters.
Try Menu>Shutdown>Restart JWM please.

shinobar

Multi language surport with 4.3.1JP

#10 Post by shinobar »

Hi all,
An anounce of multi language support with Puppy Linux 4.3.1JP.

4.3.1JP is basically bilingual, Japanese and English.
But now multilingual, including many asian and european languages more over several tens.

Install 4.3.1JP and apply lang_support_all-0.9.3_431.sfs available from here.

You can read and input more over several tens languages. English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, French has transrations of desktop icons. Some applicaions such as seamonkey has more transrations.
Attachments
multilangs.png
The top menu displays some languages but you can choose more other language than displayed here.
(4.6 KiB) Downloaded 4636 times

shinobar

Re: Multi language surport with 4.3.1JP

#11 Post by shinobar »

Install 4.3.1JP (pup-431JP.iso from here, or pup-431JPqs0.iso (Quickset version)from here .
And apply lang_support_all-0.9.3_431.sfs available from here.

puppyiso

#12 Post by puppyiso »

I guess this Japanese version's menus are all Japanese.

Any way to change menu onto other languages such as Korean, for example?

I heard something like [ja] [ko].. long ago.

shinobar

lang_support desktop

#13 Post by shinobar »

puppyiso wrote:I guess this Japanese version's menus are all Japanese.
Initially yes.
But you can choose English at the first stage.
After you install lang_support_all, you can choose Korean.
The Korean transration is not good enough.
next is the desktop of pup-431JPqs0.iso + lang_support_all-0.9.3_431.sfs.
Attachments
hangul.png
pup-431JPqs0.iso + lang_support_all-0.9.3_431.sfs, locale ko_KR.UTF-8
(19.84 KiB) Downloaded 4706 times

puppyiso

#14 Post by puppyiso »

I finally had time to check yours. At first, it was confusing but it works now. With SCIM, I can only type but had to save the documents in English.

I now can save files in Korean.

Now, the things I would like change for me.

1) I want to get rid of the shadow below desktop icon names.
How?

2) Wireless doesn't seem to work. Is it the same v431 BUG? I have seen a post saying a Japanese version fixed the BUG. Is yours too?

Korewa hontoni nikuimondaidesuyo. imawa wireless no jidainanoni...

John