How to remove unwanted stuff from remastered Puppy?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gehlm

How to remove unwanted stuff from remastered Puppy?

#1 Post by gehlm »

Is there an FAQ or derivative build guide for Puppy Slacko 5.3.3?

I'm trying to build a bare-bones CDROM with nothing installed except mozilla, that simply launches an html page located in the home directory (www.bitaddress.org) so a user can securely generate a bitcoin address and private key offline.

I've tried booting puppy, using the removal tool to clean off a few packages, then master a derivative. Each time I boot the derivative, the deleted packages reappear.

Thanks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

You mean like a checklist of things to do when making a derivative of Puppy? That might make a good Wiki entry.

mikeslr

Deleted Apps reappearing after Remaster

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi gehlm,

Someone having more technically savvy than I can probably explain it better. The following is my layman's understanding of how things function. Also, the following is from memory which may have missed or garbled details. And I'm not sure if this is solves your problem, but:

Deleting applications doesn't really delete them. It only "whites out" in the root of your SaveFile the links which reference them so that they can't be called.

There's a step during the remaster process when you're asked if you want to modify root. At that stage all the files in root which are contained in puppy_slacko_XXX.sfs have been copied to the /tmp/root and will be used in the build. If therefore, you select "NO" the files you "deleted" from your SaveFile files will reappear in your remaster. What you have to do is select Yes. That will open a rox-window to /tmp showing the root folder which is to be used*. Delete the root folder but leave /tmp open. Open a second window to root in your SaveFile --just clicking rox will usually do that. A "~" should l appear at the top-left. That is the symbol for root in your SaveFile. If it doesn't, click the "home" icon and the "~" should now appear. [Your home folder is more of less what Windoz refers to as "Documents & Setting" but is called root in Linux]. Now Click the Up-Arrow on the tool bar so that a "/" appears at the top left and a folder named root appears in the window. Drag and Drop that root folder to the rox-window in /tmp and select copy. Wait for it to finish copying and click OK to exit the remaster modify-root sub-routine.
Now, when the remaster application builds it will use a copy of your SaveFiles root folder. During the build process when it reaches the "Whited-out" links to the "deleted" applications they won't be followed and "deleted" applications won't be included in your build.

* Or it may open /tmp/root itself. If that's the case, click the "eye" to show all hidden files, then select and delete them. After you've opened the second rox window to /root in your SaveFile, click the "eye", select all files and then Drag and drop/copy them into the /tmp/root folder.

mikesLr

gehlm

#4 Post by gehlm »

Thanks for the feedback. Using a terminal, after the /tmp/root is created I execute:

Code: Select all

# rm -rf /tmp/root
# cp -R /root /tmp
That appears to do the trick. If anyone is interested, the project is available at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/btcpuppy/

oui

#5 Post by oui »

Hi Flash
Flash wrote:You mean like a checklist of things to do when making a derivative of Puppy? That might make a good Wiki entry.
are you really thinking that it would really be usefull?

I have my own recepture in (my) English to rebuild my own remastered Puppy as I never save in «save file».

I include my settings into my lupu_528_own.sfs as I am using the remastered version vom Josep24 (thank you again Josep for this hard job for all) with the full KDE 4.2 base!

I did already offer to spend this recepture to the community but was looking for only one information to make the recepture really complete:

how to avoid the question after shutdown / reboot or power-off if you will save or not :idea: because this question disturbs and costs time for nothing, if you remaster easily including your minimal settings and never will save your session!

as no answer came did I forget the topic ...

the idea was:

block the spying of your activity: you never save your activity, only your documents and the needed few private settings that you deliberately accept to sacrifiy in case of spying activities. they are in the remastered private version, nothing more at starting time of each session :idea:

after power-off, my puppy forget all! Google etc. can only spy my activities through the visited web pages and it is not a lot!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Well, I just think that a checklist that is accessible to the public, perhaps as a wiki entry that everyone can contribute to and use, would be useful for anyone who is making a Puppy derivative. No one would be required to follow it. Like any checklist, its purpose would be to point out things that a developer might forget, like obscure settings in a web browser, or to clear the download manager's window, or Pmusic's window for example. There are all kinds of things you change while you're using an OS that you forget about, but that are counterimpressive to someone who's using your remastered Puppy later.

stu91

#7 Post by stu91 »

gehlm

#8 Post by gehlm »

I've given Woofy a try, but the process is slow going.

Is anyone with experience interested in helping me along? I've gotten some good feedback on the distribution and I don't think it will be too difficult to complete. Project is hosted at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/btcpuppy/

mikeslr

gehlm's shortcut to remaster w/o deleted apps

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks gehlm,

I wasn't sure of your skill level so I spelled out the pedestrian route. It appears that your comfort with bash is greater than mine. Nice one!.
Thanks for the easy code. I'll try it next time.

mikesLr