How to get Windows program to run in Wine?

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
thunderstruck540

How to get Windows program to run in Wine?

#1 Post by thunderstruck540 »

Hey i am new to puppy linux and i am still trying to get the hang of it. i was always with windows until i decided to give life back to my old windows 98 96 ram with a 2gb hdd with a live CD of the newest 4.1.3 puppy linux and i am very satisfied on how my computer handles it. However i have a small question, i want to install a windows application, i hear that wine installs windows application for linux, so i downloaded wine pet onto a usb along with the software i wish to download. wine pet i dragged to the desktop and installed it, at least from what i could tell. then i tried to just click on the windows program (the icon just had a square with a bunch of 101010) but nothing happens, i tried to do the right click start run or something like that but i still get nothing. How do i get this to work?
By the way the windows program i am trying to get on my computer is
http://www.junefabrics.com/desktop/

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

1. Run a terminal window and enter the command winefile, and a winefile window will appear.

2. Use the Z:\ drive to navigate to the location of the exe installation file for the Windows program and double-click that, and it should begin the installation process.

3. You can run a a Windows portable program by using the Z:\ drive to open its exe file.

4. Once a Windows program is installed as in 2 above, you can run it using winefile by using the C:\ drive to navigate to its exe program file and open that.
i.e. Click on the C:\ button, a new window will open for C:\, and the exe file will be found somewhere under "Program Files" as in normal Windows.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

then i tried to just click on the windows program
I don't know about your wine setup, but that's all I need to do. If it doesn't work I try running in a terminal

Code: Select all

wine /path/to/whateveritis.exe
to see all the error messages :)
It's quite possible that the program won't work :(
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mcewanw

Re: How to get Windows program to run in Wine?

#4 Post by mcewanw »

thunderstruck540 wrote:(the icon just had a square with a bunch of 101010) but nothing happens, i tried to do the right click start run or something like that but i still get nothing. How do i get this to work?
Don't worry about the 101010 icon for .exe file types - that is the normal default situation (though it is possible to right-click and Set Icon to a something nicer looking by dropping a 48x48 graphic image onto it when it suits you to do so - you don't need to though if you are happy with the ugly 101010 :-).

You weren't too far off the mark when you tried right-clicking, but what you should do is right-click and then choose "Set Run Action". In the pop-up window that then appears, in the part "Choose a Shell Command" modify whatever is there (probably a single "@") to:

Code: Select all

wine "@"
After doing that, whenever, in Rox, you click on an icon which has a file extension of type .exe it will be run via wine.

The alternative, as explained by disciple, is to actually enter: wine programname in terminal window (which is indeed useful as a first try because any error messages will be reported back to the terminal window),

or as Sylvander says, you can start .exe apps using winefile (which automatically runs .exe files via wine).
github mcewanw

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

I have now wine 1.1.20 (as sfs)
In a rox window I browse to a xxxx.exe file and click on it.
The xxxx.exe does run like this in wine.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]