Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 10:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Clipboard tools and Hotkeys for jwm
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov 2009, 04:38    Post subject: can't get flite_hts to compile  

amigo wrote:
Nice find there on the flite-hts combination. I've been using flite for a long time and have searched a lot for alternate voices for it -looks like this is promising.

It would be nice if I could manage to compile it!... but I haven't managed so far.

When I run ./configure, without any options, I get the error message:

Code:

configure: error: Cannot find HTS_engine.h
./configure: line 4794: PATH_SEPARATOR: command not found

If anyone manages to compile this, please let me know how you did it! Being able to use a decent synthesised voice would be very good for use with software for the visually impaired.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov 2009, 05:06    Post subject:  

Okay... I should have read the INSTALL text file (I gave it a glance but hardly read it... sigh!). Using the compile options given in there and it is now compiling fine. I'll report back on how it works or otherwise...
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov 2009, 06:12    Post subject: it is great - I'm very excited about this!  

amigo wrote:
Nice find there on the flite-hts combination. I've been using flite for a long time and have searched a lot for alternate voices for it -looks like this is promising.

flite_hts_engine works great! No need to download a 100 MB voice data file and Festival for good quality voice. I have attached your words in voice form in a new thread for especially for discussions about flite_hts_engine. I'm working on a dotpet for it, and will announce that soon. Here is the new thread and "your" voice... amigo"

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=365897#365897
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 26 Nov 2009, 12:00    Post subject:  

@technosaurus: Your text2speech script brings up a text entry dialog if there is nothing in the clipboard (I think, though I've not been able to test that part), but how do you clear the clipboard anyway so that that event will happen whenever you want it?
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov 2009, 11:06    Post subject: using with flite_hts_engine latest  

If you want to use the latest flite_hts_engine (offline/local Quality local Text To Speech) with technosaurus's Hotkeys, replace the code in his /usr/bin/text2speech with:

Code:

#!/bin/sh
MYWORD=""
if [ ! "$1" ];then
 MYWORD=`xclip -o`
 if [ ! $MYWORD ];then
 MYWORD=`Xdialog --stdout --inputbox "" 6 99 Text2Speech`
fi
else
 MYWORD=$@
fi
flitet $MYWORD | aplay

Details on getting flite_hts_engine for Puppy (dotpet only 1.4 MBytes) here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49390
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec 2009, 06:50    Post subject: hotkeys for espeak and/or flite_hts_engine
Subject description: text 2 speech / text to speech

I really like technosaurus's hotkeys and believe that it is adds a particularly useful function to Puppy. My only reservation is that I can't stand the online text2speech facility he uses Alt-l to access (which doesn't work well for longer texts anyway).

Rather, I prefer espeak at times and flite_hts_engine for high quality text to speech, and have both of them on my Puppy 4.3.1 system. Dotpets for these are on the forum:

flite_hts_engine dotpet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=365897

espeak dotpet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=164158

Please find attached therefore a slightly modified version of hotkeys-0.1 that uses Alt-k to hotkey espeak and Alt-l (i.e. small L) to hotkey flite_hts_engine such that any highlighted text is spoken back.

Note that you don't need to install both espeak and flite_hts_engine if you don't want both, but espeak is better in terms of consistency for longer texts, whereas flite_hts_engine provides a very natural sounding speech (but loses track of the text sometimes).

Anyway, I need a reliable place to store this in case I accidentally erase it from my system! :-)
hotkeysEspeakFlitehts-0.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  hotkeysEspeakFlitehts-0.1.pet 
Filesize  1.13 KB 
Downloaded  381 Time(s) 
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: