Puppy Linux Windows Users: exe installer programs

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
lostinxlation

#76 Post by lostinxlation »

Hi,

I'm trying to install puppy431 to HDD of my thinkpad 240 that doesn't support USB boot and am looking for the way to let it recognize USB CDROM drive to start the installation.

Does your wakepup2 work with USB CDROM drive too ?

I'm not sure if I did right, but this is what I did. Please let me know if I was doing wrong.

1. Burned puppy431 iso image to CD.
2. Downloaded wakepup2-img-write. Clicked on the downloaded file and it prompted me to write it into floppy disk so that I did.
3. Inserted the floppy disk to a floppy drive connected to target PC(TP240).
4. Inserted ISO CD to a USB CDROM drive connected to target PC(TP240).
5. Power on the target PC.
6. The floppy disk gave me a couple of options. I selected #1, IDE/USB drives(built-in or external CD-ROM, HD and flash).

Then, it sent out messages like

Error: No CD-ROM drives detected at all
Error: Device drive aborts loading

I'd highly appreciate if you could comment on this.

steve_s

#77 Post by steve_s »

lostinxlation wrote:Hi,

I'm trying to install puppy431 to HDD of my thinkpad 240 that doesn't support USB boot and am looking for the way to let it recognize USB CDROM drive to start the installation.

Does your wakepup2 work with USB CDROM drive too ?

I'm not sure if I did right, but this is what I did. Please let me know if I was doing wrong.

1. Burned puppy431 iso image to CD.
2. Downloaded wakepup2-img-write. Clicked on the downloaded file and it prompted me to write it into floppy disk so that I did.
3. Inserted the floppy disk to a floppy drive connected to target PC(TP240).
4. Inserted ISO CD to a USB CDROM drive connected to target PC(TP240).
5. Power on the target PC.
6. The floppy disk gave me a couple of options. I selected #1, IDE/USB drives(built-in or external CD-ROM, HD and flash).

Then, it sent out messages like

Error: No CD-ROM drives detected at all
Error: Device drive aborts loading

I'd highly appreciate if you could comment on this.
Howdy!

I would put it on a flash drive, run the WakePup floppy, it will see the flash drive and then boot that way. I don't know that WakePup will see a usb cd drive.

What operating system do you have running on there right now? Don't worry; we'll get Puppy going on there for you. 8)

**Edit: that thinkpad doesn't have an internal cd drive? If you hit f12 (to get a boot menu; you gotta do it right away as it is starting up) during boot with Puppy cd on an internal cd drive, then hit C (that's what it was on one of my old thinkpads; just look at the list of options on the boot menu) you should be to boot the original pup-431.iso cd. That procedure (hitting f12) may do it with the usb cd drive also...both need to be tried.

There are other ways to get it installed; Puppy is crazy portable so we'll figure it out. Just tell us how those options went.... 8)

steve_s

#78 Post by steve_s »

Oh, some very good stuff if one looks around hard enough.

Will now be testing this Installer for Windows Users to boot from Windows to Puppy. Forum member seeker: great stuff!

I had seen master MU's installer here which is similar concept but is for earlier Puppy's.

Another website with information and links on how to do this.

What the heck is the goal?

Well, let's say that you want to get rid of Windows but have no way of booting to anything other than your hard drive. Remember, we have to have something that boots to an operating system (OS; like Windows or Puppy) then the OS runs.

So, if you have no way of booting other than the hard drive, no floppy disk, no cd and no usb, what can be done?

The goal is to change the Windows boot loader to allow to boot to some other medium (like usb), run Puppy from the USB and use Puppy to change your hard drive, repartition it, get rid of Windows if you want, do whatever you could want to do with Puppy now that you can boot it, EVEN if the BIOS wouldn't before let you boot to USB; it wouldn't matter 'cause Windows is booting to Puppy for you!

If you want to investigate this further, check out the links I provided on this post and I'll continue to see if I can put something together for newbie Windows-to-Puppy people so that they can just click then be able to use Windows to boot to Puppy usb. 8)

Sylvander

#79 Post by Sylvander »

steve_s

#80 Post by steve_s »

Thanks, Sylvander! :) I had no idea it was being mentioned on another thread.

But here is my response, as posted on that thread:
Sorry, folks, but the person that I am using space from has a godaddy account. :cry:

As I mentioned on that first post, it does not work from Seamonkey or Opera and asks for a password on both of those browsers. This seems to be a goddady issue and nothing I can do about it.

I posted that exe and subsequent ones to Windows users that are wanting to come over and use Puppy. I know that shafts us that like to use Seamonkey, but I only have the link available. It works in Firefox and in IE, so I figured that covers the target audience, at least for now. I just don't have any other option, besides one of those file-sharing sites and those are so temporary.

UNLESS, OF COURSE, SOMEONE CAN MIRROR THIS FOR ME. :D

I can upload it to one of the filesharing sites if that is requested by a few people and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience, but I have what I have. :?
I mentioned that at the beginning of this one, but that can be overlooked sometimes.

I am just trying to get it out there in whatever way I can hoping that someone else can MIRROR it and help out so that we can have other options.

I'VE GOT ANOTHER EXE COMING that will allow a Windows user to just download it, click on it, and it installs directly to a Windows drive as a frugal, changes the Windows boot manager automatically, then it boots either Windows or Puppy as you wish, on the next reboot. I am going to try to upload that one either tonight or tomorrow.

8)

zandarian

#81 Post by zandarian »

steve_s wrote:UNLESS, OF COURSE, SOMEONE CAN MIRROR THIS FOR ME
I haven't tried it but I've read that works (for photos, but it says also "other files"):
http://steekr.com/

Other options I've seen (neither tried):
http://www.mediafire.com/
http://www.sendspace.com/

Thanks to you all. You're doing good works & testings.

zandarian

#82 Post by zandarian »

It's possible to download with SeaMonkey the files steve_s has uploaded to onlinefilefolder.com!!:

1. In the address bar type about:config and press Enter
2. In the Filter bar type agent
3. Double click on general.useragent.extra.seamonkey
4. Delete the content
5. Type Firefox/3.5 and press Enter
6. Download what you need from another window or tab
7. Go back to the about:config tab or window
8. Right click on general.useragent.extra.seamonkey & click on Reset
9. Close the about:config tab or window

NB: the pages given in my previous message offer free hosting (I say it just in case)

Good luck!!

steve_s

#83 Post by steve_s »

zandarian wrote:It's possible to download with SeaMonkey the files steve_s has uploaded to onlinefilefolder.com!!:

1. In the address bar type about:config and press Enter
2. In the Filter bar type agent
3. Double click on general.useragent.extra.seamonkey
4. Delete the content
5. Type Firefox/3.5 and press Enter
6. Download what you need from another window or tab
7. Go back to the about:config tab or window
8. Right click on general.useragent.extra.seamonkey & click on Reset
9. Close the about:config tab or window

NB: the pages given in my previous message offer free hosting (I say it just in case)

Good luck!!
Thank you for this!!

steve_s

#84 Post by steve_s »

Updated: now we have an exe file that can install Puppy straight to a hard drive via a frugal install.

Here is the quote from the updated first page:
**Updated: 12/04/09
Want to install Puppy to your Windows XP computer just with one program?
Download: click here. (This link works in Internet Explorer and Firefox. For information on downloading with other browsers check zandarian's post near the end of the thread, currently page 6)
This exe installer program takes Puppy 4.3.1 and does a frugal install (just makes a single folder on the drive and puts the needed files there), modifies the Windows bootloader (just adds one line of text to it) and makes a WinXP install able to boot Puppy Linux 4.3.1. Download it, install it, reboot into Puppy, give Puppy a try. If you like it, keep it; doesn't do anything to your Windows install or change any of it's files, so Windows stays the same. If you don't want Puppy, in Windows just go to add/remove programs and uninstall it. Just that simple. 8)
Test it out! Worked great for me on the two test computers I used, installed it, uninstalled it, worked great.

Ha, just for fun, I timed it on the second computer install: downloading via a wireless install in the garage via a router in the other room, from click to starting the download to looking at the newly running Puppy desktop, took just 10 minutes and 26 seconds. Pretty fun stuff... :wink:

Roy

#85 Post by Roy »

steve_s,

Thank you for this -- it works like a champ! I talked an XP-user into downloading it this morning and saved it to a thumb drive to transfer to another XP user whom I have recently introduced to Puppy....

I first moved his original save file (he was booting Puppy 431 from CD) to my thumb drive and deleted his saved .sfs; rebooted into his XP, ran your installation, and -- success! Your work made is so easy that he is comfortable doing it himself, should the need arise. (Ended up reusing his original Save file to re-establish his Alsamixer settings for sound.)

This is the kind of work that makes it easy to convert Microsoft users into Puppy users. Thank you!

-Roy

Roy

#86 Post by Roy »

Deleted -- triple post
Last edited by Roy on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#87 Post by Roy »

Deleted -- triple post

steve_s

#88 Post by steve_s »

Roy wrote:steve_s,

Thank you for this -- it works like a champ! I talked an XP-user into downloading it this morning and saved it to a thumb drive to transfer to another XP user whom I have recently introduced to Puppy....

I first moved his original save file (he was booting Puppy 431 from CD) to my thumb drive and deleted his saved .sfs; rebooted into his XP, ran your installation, and -- success! Your work made is so easy that he is comfortable doing it himself, should the need arise. (Ended up reusing his original Save file to re-establish his Alsamixer settings for sound.)

This is the kind of work that makes it easy to convert Microsoft users into Puppy users. Thank you!

-Roy
You made my day, Roy. 8) that is the reason why this all came about...thanks for the feedback and really glad you've shown someone the Puppy way. :D

steve_s

#89 Post by steve_s »

Special thanks to forum member "scabz" for mirroring all four of the programs. Check initial post or go here. Thanks!! 8)

nooby

#90 Post by nooby »

Very good for all of us that have winXP computers. I have two of those.

But I need linux on a small Netbook that I want to take with me on trips/travels.

It has a Win7 Starter on it and that one is like Win Vista in that it has no regular boot. They do it differently.

What would one do to do "frugal install" on such a computer? It has no CD or DVD but has USB booting and I already have two USB sticks with Linux on them that works but it would be much better if I had them on the computer instead.

Any clue on how to do this without partitioning the HDD?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

steve_s

#91 Post by steve_s »

nooby wrote:Very good for all of us that have winXP computers. I have two of those.

But I need linux on a small Netbook that I want to take with me on trips/travels.

It has a Win7 Starter on it and that one is like Win Vista in that it has no regular boot. They do it differently.

What would one do to do "frugal install" on such a computer? It has no CD or DVD but has USB booting and I already have two USB sticks with Linux on them that works but it would be much better if I had them on the computer instead.

Any clue on how to do this without partitioning the HDD?
There are a lot of posts out there on how to do a frugal, so you may have to research to figure out your specifics, but it seems it would be essentially the same result as with XP.: you need to have a folder that has all the files off of the cd (or usb) then something to boot it (a bootloader).

If you were to change your current bootloader to something like Grub, you could then probably boot Win7 and Puppy, but I don't know for sure since I haven't used Win7. Or if the bootloader is the same one as Win XP, then you could modify it as this exe file does (it basically just changes a line). Again, I don't know...

...any Win7/Puppy dual booters out there? You may have to search around if we don't get an answer on that one soon...

nooby

#92 Post by nooby »

Yes thanks Steve, I am almost there T_Hobbit showed me his menu.lst and me mine so most likely I only have to create same folders extract the right files and do same he did. I am trying it all out of the Vista machine first because I have recovery disks for that one in case something happens.

Edit

Have used Puppy 4.3.1 several times in frugal install on a Vista machine and it saves bookmarks and so on. I am happy about it. How it works on the Acer I will test using a USB pin first.
Last edited by nooby on Thu 24 Dec 2009, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

steve_s

#93 Post by steve_s »

nooby wrote:Yes thanks Steve, I am almost there T_Hobbit showed me his menu.lst and me mine so most likely I only have to create same folders extract the right files and do same he did. I am trying it all out of the Vista machine first because I have recovery disks for that one in case something happens.
Excellent! 8)

WB7ODYFred

Now that the Windows EXE Installer is operational,

#94 Post by WB7ODYFred »

Hello Steve_S and Sylvander and fellow testers.

Steve could you write a short HOWTO post at the
portable Apps website? Either create your own NEW Forum topic or. make an entry on this thread Here
http://portableapps.com/node/17855
That echos exactly what you have said here in this forum for Puppy Linux Users, so that Portable Apps Users can read, without clicking on a link? I thought you would get the wording straight and the URL Mirror Links correct, Steve_S, where I might make an error.
Topic Subject: Windows Users Install Puppy Linux to USB FLash Drive and have a "Portable OS with installed Portable Apps"

Below text is copied From Portable Apps website
http://portableapps.com/node/17855 For people who want linux
Puppy Linux
tlchost - November 23, 2009 - 7:01am

I have a USB pendrive loaded with the Portable Apps suite and made bootable under Puppy-4.3.1

One needs to install wine in Puppy. "MOST" of the Portable Apps suite runs fine under wine in puppy.

Perhaps a few of us Puppy users should jointly work on a How To for using Portable Apps on a USB drive with a bootable Puppy.

Thom

Maybe Next in another forum post test/create,how to install WINE onto a USB Flash Boot disk to run these Windows Portable Apps under the Puppy OS just as Thom suggested above.
I was supprised by the number of Puppy Linux responses on that Portable Apps Linux thread 17855.

Another interesting thread to read at Portable Apps
http://portableapps.com/node/21853

Hoping to get the basics right...before downloading Portable-apps?
Submitted by norsk on December 11, 2009 - 9:55am

The Idea being using a PC with an external USB hard drive but not leaving behind traces on the business PC.
IE Email, Browser history and bookmarks, files, configurations files.
Steve_S and Sylvander, How would you accomplish this with PuppyLinux and a FlashDrive and portable Apps?
Maybe Puppy Linux is complete enough running from a $12 1GB or 4GB drive to allow someone to "borrow and use" A pc to get online for a short time once a week. Maybe only one or two of the Portable Apps might be necessary, with the rest supplied by Puppy Linux like browsing with Seamonkey or FIrefox and Thunderbird for Email and Attym for Instant Messaging Chat.
What do you think fellow Puppy Users?

Fred Finster
All thoughts and comment appreciated here and also those cross posted at the Portable Apps website.

[/u]

steve_s

#95 Post by steve_s »

Good stuff, Fred. I'll try and post later today.

The gorgeous thing about Puppy is that it can very easily do all that you were talking about, almost all with the native install.

All the exe files that I've come up with do is to expedite putting these on a flash drive or on the hard drive; Puppy takes care of the rest itself.

Adding wine is as easy as finding the sfs file, saving it to the flash drive then telling Puppy to run that sfs file at start up. Easy stuff.

But I'll see what I can post on the other forum later today... 8)