Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 28 Aug 2014, 05:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Puppy Linux Windows Users: exe installer programs
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 6 of 9 [125 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Author Message
lostinxlation

Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 04:05    Post subject:  

Hi,

I'm trying to install puppy431 to HDD of my thinkpad 240 that doesn't support USB boot and am looking for the way to let it recognize USB CDROM drive to start the installation.

Does your wakepup2 work with USB CDROM drive too ?

I'm not sure if I did right, but this is what I did. Please let me know if I was doing wrong.

1. Burned puppy431 iso image to CD.
2. Downloaded wakepup2-img-write. Clicked on the downloaded file and it prompted me to write it into floppy disk so that I did.
3. Inserted the floppy disk to a floppy drive connected to target PC(TP240).
4. Inserted ISO CD to a USB CDROM drive connected to target PC(TP240).
5. Power on the target PC.
6. The floppy disk gave me a couple of options. I selected #1, IDE/USB drives(built-in or external CD-ROM, HD and flash).


Then, it sent out messages like

Error: No CD-ROM drives detected at all
Error: Device drive aborts loading


I'd highly appreciate if you could comment on this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
steve_s


Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1545
Location: Austin, TX, USA

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 07:58    Post subject:  

lostinxlation wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to install puppy431 to HDD of my thinkpad 240 that doesn't support USB boot and am looking for the way to let it recognize USB CDROM drive to start the installation.

Does your wakepup2 work with USB CDROM drive too ?

I'm not sure if I did right, but this is what I did. Please let me know if I was doing wrong.

1. Burned puppy431 iso image to CD.
2. Downloaded wakepup2-img-write. Clicked on the downloaded file and it prompted me to write it into floppy disk so that I did.
3. Inserted the floppy disk to a floppy drive connected to target PC(TP240).
4. Inserted ISO CD to a USB CDROM drive connected to target PC(TP240).
5. Power on the target PC.
6. The floppy disk gave me a couple of options. I selected #1, IDE/USB drives(built-in or external CD-ROM, HD and flash).


Then, it sent out messages like

Error: No CD-ROM drives detected at all
Error: Device drive aborts loading


I'd highly appreciate if you could comment on this.


Howdy!

I would put it on a flash drive, run the WakePup floppy, it will see the flash drive and then boot that way. I don't know that WakePup will see a usb cd drive.

What operating system do you have running on there right now? Don't worry; we'll get Puppy going on there for you. Cool

**Edit: that thinkpad doesn't have an internal cd drive? If you hit f12 (to get a boot menu; you gotta do it right away as it is starting up) during boot with Puppy cd on an internal cd drive, then hit C (that's what it was on one of my old thinkpads; just look at the list of options on the boot menu) you should be to boot the original pup-431.iso cd. That procedure (hitting f12) may do it with the usb cd drive also...both need to be tried.

There are other ways to get it installed; Puppy is crazy portable so we'll figure it out. Just tell us how those options went.... Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
steve_s


Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1545
Location: Austin, TX, USA

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2009, 11:54    Post subject:  

Oh, some very good stuff if one looks around hard enough.

Will now be testing this Installer for Windows Users to boot from Windows to Puppy. Forum member seeker: great stuff!

I had seen master MU's installer here which is similar concept but is for earlier Puppy's.

Another website with information and links on how to do this.

What the heck is the goal?

Well, let's say that you want to get rid of Windows but have no way of booting to anything other than your hard drive. Remember, we have to have something that boots to an operating system (OS; like Windows or Puppy) then the OS runs.

So, if you have no way of booting other than the hard drive, no floppy disk, no cd and no usb, what can be done?

The goal is to change the Windows boot loader to allow to boot to some other medium (like usb), run Puppy from the USB and use Puppy to change your hard drive, repartition it, get rid of Windows if you want, do whatever you could want to do with Puppy now that you can boot it, EVEN if the BIOS wouldn't before let you boot to USB; it wouldn't matter 'cause Windows is booting to Puppy for you!

If you want to investigate this further, check out the links I provided on this post and I'll continue to see if I can put something together for newbie Windows-to-Puppy people so that they can just click then be able to use Windows to boot to Puppy usb. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Sylvander

Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Posts: 3424
Location: West Lothian, Scotland, UK

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 13:31    Post subject:  

People having trouble gaining access to the file download hosting sites on the 1st post of this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
steve_s


Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1545
Location: Austin, TX, USA

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 14:48    Post subject:  

Sylvander wrote:
People having trouble gaining access to the file download hosting sites on the 1st post of this thread.


Thanks, Sylvander! Smile I had no idea it was being mentioned on another thread.

But here is my response, as posted on that thread:
Quote:

Sorry, folks, but the person that I am using space from has a godaddy account. Crying or Very sad

As I mentioned on that first post, it does not work from Seamonkey or Opera and asks for a password on both of those browsers. This seems to be a goddady issue and nothing I can do about it.

I posted that exe and subsequent ones to Windows users that are wanting to come over and use Puppy. I know that shafts us that like to use Seamonkey, but I only have the link available. It works in Firefox and in IE, so I figured that covers the target audience, at least for now. I just don't have any other option, besides one of those file-sharing sites and those are so temporary.

UNLESS, OF COURSE, SOMEONE CAN MIRROR THIS FOR ME. Very Happy

I can upload it to one of the filesharing sites if that is requested by a few people and I am truly sorry for any inconvenience, but I have what I have. Confused



I mentioned that at the beginning of this one, but that can be overlooked sometimes.

I am just trying to get it out there in whatever way I can hoping that someone else can MIRROR it and help out so that we can have other options.

I'VE GOT ANOTHER EXE COMING that will allow a Windows user to just download it, click on it, and it installs directly to a Windows drive as a frugal, changes the Windows boot manager automatically, then it boots either Windows or Puppy as you wish, on the next reboot. I am going to try to upload that one either tonight or tomorrow.

Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
zandarian

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 111

PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec 2009, 18:30    Post subject:  

steve_s wrote:
UNLESS, OF COURSE, SOMEONE CAN MIRROR THIS FOR ME


I haven't tried it but I've read that works (for photos, but it says also "other files"):
http://steekr.com/

Other options I've seen (neither tried):
http://www.mediafire.com/
http://www.sendspace.com/

Thanks to you all. You're doing good works & testings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
zandarian

Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 111

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec 2009, 06:24    Post subject:  

It's possible to download with SeaMonkey the files steve_s has uploaded to onlinefilefolder.com!!:

1. In the address bar type about:config and press Enter
2. In the Filter bar type agent
3. Double click on general.useragent.extra.seamonkey
4. Delete the content
5. Type Firefox/3.5 and press Enter
6. Download what you need from another window or tab
7. Go back to the about:config tab or window
8. Right click on general.useragent.extra.seamonkey & click on Reset
9. Close the about:config tab or window

NB: the pages given in my previous message offer free hosting (I say it just in case)

Good luck!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
steve_s


Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1545
Location: Austin, TX, USA

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec 2009, 08:11    Post subject:  

zandarian wrote:
It's possible to download with SeaMonkey the files steve_s has uploaded to onlinefilefolder.com!!:

1. In the address bar type about:config and press Enter
2. In the Filter bar type agent
3. Double click on general.useragent.extra.seamonkey
4. Delete the content
5. Type Firefox/3.5 and press Enter
6. Download what you need from another window or tab
7. Go back to the about:config tab or window
8. Right click on general.useragent.extra.seamonkey & click on Reset
9. Close the about:config tab or window

NB: the pages given in my previous message offer free hosting (I say it just in case)

Good luck!!


Thank you for this!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
steve_s


Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1545
Location: Austin, TX, USA

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec 2009, 10:56    Post subject:  

Updated: now we have an exe file that can install Puppy straight to a hard drive via a frugal install.

Here is the quote from the updated first page:

Quote:

**Updated: 12/04/09
Want to install Puppy to your Windows XP computer just with one program?
Download: click here. (This link works in Internet Explorer and Firefox. For information on downloading with other browsers check zandarian's post near the end of the thread, currently page 6)
This exe installer program takes Puppy 4.3.1 and does a frugal install (just makes a single folder on the drive and puts the needed files there), modifies the Windows bootloader (just adds one line of text to it) and makes a WinXP install able to boot Puppy Linux 4.3.1. Download it, install it, reboot into Puppy, give Puppy a try. If you like it, keep it; doesn't do anything to your Windows install or change any of it's files, so Windows stays the same. If you don't want Puppy, in Windows just go to add/remove programs and uninstall it. Just that simple. Cool


Test it out! Worked great for me on the two test computers I used, installed it, uninstalled it, worked great.

Ha, just for fun, I timed it on the second computer install: downloading via a wireless install in the garage via a router in the other room, from click to starting the download to looking at the newly running Puppy desktop, took just 10 minutes and 26 seconds. Pretty fun stuff... Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Roy

Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 442

PostPosted: Thu 10 Dec 2009, 13:30    Post subject:  

steve_s,

Thank you for this -- it works like a champ! I talked an XP-user into downloading it this morning and saved it to a thumb drive to transfer to another XP user whom I have recently introduced to Puppy....

I first moved his original save file (he was booting Puppy 431 from CD) to my thumb drive and deleted his saved .sfs; rebooted into his XP, ran your installation, and -- success! Your work made is so easy that he is comfortable doing it himself, should the need arise. (Ended up reusing his original Save file to re-establish his Alsamixer settings for sound.)

This is the kind of work that makes it easy to convert Microsoft users into Puppy users. Thank you!

-Roy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Roy

Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 442

PostPosted: Thu 10 Dec 2009, 13:31    Post subject:  

Deleted -- triple post
Last edited by Roy on Thu 10 Dec 2009, 13:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Roy

Joined: 31 Dec 2008
Posts: 442

PostPosted: Thu 10 Dec 2009, 13:32    Post subject:  

Deleted -- triple post
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
steve_s


Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1545
Location: Austin, TX, USA

PostPosted: Thu 10 Dec 2009, 14:23    Post subject:  

Roy wrote:
steve_s,

Thank you for this -- it works like a champ! I talked an XP-user into downloading it this morning and saved it to a thumb drive to transfer to another XP user whom I have recently introduced to Puppy....

I first moved his original save file (he was booting Puppy 431 from CD) to my thumb drive and deleted his saved .sfs; rebooted into his XP, ran your installation, and -- success! Your work made is so easy that he is comfortable doing it himself, should the need arise. (Ended up reusing his original Save file to re-establish his Alsamixer settings for sound.)

This is the kind of work that makes it easy to convert Microsoft users into Puppy users. Thank you!

-Roy


You made my day, Roy. Cool that is the reason why this all came about...thanks for the feedback and really glad you've shown someone the Puppy way. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
steve_s


Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 1545
Location: Austin, TX, USA

PostPosted: Thu 10 Dec 2009, 14:36    Post subject:  

Special thanks to forum member "scabz" for mirroring all four of the programs. Check initial post or go here. Thanks!! Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10557
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec 2009, 04:42    Post subject:  

Very good for all of us that have winXP computers. I have two of those.

But I need linux on a small Netbook that I want to take with me on trips/travels.

It has a Win7 Starter on it and that one is like Win Vista in that it has no regular boot. They do it differently.

What would one do to do "frugal install" on such a computer? It has no CD or DVD but has USB booting and I already have two USB sticks with Linux on them that works but it would be much better if I had them on the computer instead.

Any clue on how to do this without partitioning the HDD?

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 6 of 9 [125 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0978s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0049s) ][ GZIP on ]