Remastering (?) Puppy 4.21 image under Windows

Booting, installing, newbie
Makoto

Remastering (?) Puppy 4.21 image under Windows

#1 Post by Makoto »

I tried to run some searches on the forum for this information, but wasn't entirely sure what to look for.

Basically, I want to 'insert' two or more .sfs files to the Puppy 4.21 ISO, so that they'll be active/accessible/etc. as though they had originally been part of the disc. (Like the devx .sfs, OpenOffice, etc.) Is that still considered 'remastering?'

Only thing is, I can't do it from the system on which I'm running Puppy - it has little free HD space left (one of the reasons I want to add to the CD), and it no longer has a CD burner. So, I want to try doing it from another system, which is running Windows.

I remember seeing a post some weeks ago that mentioned using MagicISO to do that (though I couldn't find the post again, even searching the forum for 'MagicISO') - but are there any other alternatives? I'd rather not use MagicISO, if I can help it.
And, I'm assuming bootable Linux CDs are created differently than normal data CDs, so I can't just extract all the files and folders from the ISO, add the SFS files, and create a new ISO from that... well, not easily, anyway.

(And... where would I need to place the SFS files, at that? Assuming this method would actually work...)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

diaeresis

#2 Post by diaeresis »

I am not an expert on this but it sounds as if you could just use nero or imgburn or something along those lines to burn a new iso. Something like this:-
load iso with a drive emulator like daemon tools or similar.
copy all files/folders to a new folder on the computer.
add your extra sfs files.
burn another iso using nero or imgburn or similar using the contents of the folder.
but yoy would stil need to usr puppy boot manager to load the extra sfs's once you have booted puppy.unless you download the sfs linker pet.
try searching for sfs linker on these forums. it's a cracking bit of kit.
I hope that is some use to you.

ITAmember

#3 Post by ITAmember »

Copy all the files off the puppy CD on puppy [1] to some form of portable media.

Copy the sfs files into the directory where you ripped the puppy cd. (you can do this on windows)

Use mkisofs for windows and make an iso from those files make sure you enable long filenames, rockridge file extensions, and joliet file extensions.

I also recommend you download 7zip, install it, and right-click on the new iso->7 zip->open archive to make sure all the files are there and in the root directory of the cd.

[1] The puppy ISOs were made without joliet file extensions and therefore can't be read by windows correctly.
Last edited by ITAmember on Mon 09 Nov 2009, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

ITAmember

#4 Post by ITAmember »

triple post :oops:
Last edited by ITAmember on Mon 09 Nov 2009, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

ITAmember

#5 Post by ITAmember »

triple post :oops:

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

I thought I'd probably end up having to extract the contents of the SFS files into the ISO directories, though the post I saw (but haven't been able to find again) was implying that you could place the SFS files in the ISO, in a subdir, and they'd automatically be recognized and mounted/loaded.

Still, wouldn't I have to run through a special process to make the image bootable? I can't remember if Imgburn has a way to help with that... I think mkisofs did, but it's been a while since I've worked (manually, anyway), with it.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

erm...all the files on a memory stick and use isomaster to make a fresh iso that can then be burned in nero is the route that comes to mind....
If starting from the original iso booting should still work.

mike

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, but if I extract everything from the original ISO, add files, and then create a new ISO, there's no guarantee... right? :D

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

with isomaster there is no extracting involved

mike

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

Then, why would I need a memory stick/USB drive? :)
erm...all the files on a memory stick and use isomaster to make a fresh iso that can then be burned in nero is the route that comes to mind....
(I know, you probably meant having the ISO plus the SFS files on the stick/pen. :D)

I'd rather use Imgburn at this stage... Nero 5 was better than the current versions, IMHO. No idea how well Nero Linux works.

In regard to ISOMaster, are there any other alternatives? I'm sure it works great (especially if the Linux version is included in so many distros), but I'm reluctant to install a shareware program (especially if it doesn't have all the features of the full program (not saying ISOMaster's like that, though... but it doesn't say on their homepage if there are any differences)), if I'm only going to use it once and then never again.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

I'm talking about the isomaster in puppy/linux.
The memory stick suggestion was because you said your drive was nearly full.
Anything before nero 6 has a problem making bootable cd's.
mike

Makoto

#12 Post by Makoto »

Oh, that's what you meant. :oops: For some reason, I was thinking you meant to extract the files from the ISO to a pen drive and work with them from there.

That, and (again, for some reason) didn't think the remaster feature would allow you to redirect the output to an ISO file. Does it allow you to add SFS files without having them active/mounted?

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Hmm depends what the remaster script is...if it's by dougal it can make an sfs only. Addidtional sfs would need to be mounted but that takes no significat space above the files themselves. Otherwise you would have to post edit the sfs and merge them in but that takes loads of room.

mike

vtpup

#14 Post by vtpup »

sounds like you have a path already to what you want to accomplish, but you did also ask about other programs, I believe on Windows? If so, maybe IsoBuster would be of use. It's primarily a recovery tool but it can do a ton of other stuff, and I'm pretty sure it can make up whatever kind of ISO you want from anything you can throw at it.

http://www.isobuster.com/isobuster.php

Makoto

#15 Post by Makoto »

I don't know about that... I have some things I could try, but I probably do need to go pick up some more blank CDs, at least. :)

The system I'm running Puppy on is down at the moment, until I can verify what about it might be setting off the smoke detector (which ONLY seems to happen at 3-5 in the morning... argh! :roll: )

Hmm... can't remember if ISOBuster allowed you to insert anything into an ISO, rather than just extract/test.

vtpup

#16 Post by vtpup »

Check the list of capabilities at the url I gave.