Frugal Install on the Wiki

Helping keep Puppy well documented
hillside

Frugal Install on the Wiki

#1 Post by hillside »

Let me start off by saying that I'm exceedingly happy that the wiki is back up. Hooray!

I noticed a problem with terminology as relates to the frugal install. The page "Create LiveCDorDVD" lists the "Automated Frugal Install" as being a live cd plus a save file and a frugal install as being for experienced users. I've always understood there are two main methods of install; a frugal install where the compressed files are copied from the cd to the disk or a full install. My understanding is that using a live cd with a save file is generally not considered an install type at all, but is merely a variant on using a live cd.

I may not be completely up to date on terminology, but I've been using frugal installs for years both on Puppy and DSL. The information as presented on this page feels wrong to me and since Puppy was designed, first and foremost, to be a live cd with a frugal install being probably the second most important method of use, I'd like this information to be as correct as possible. I'm not trying to be picky, but I think this is a really important concept.

I also am aware that the wiki has been kind of a delicate topic lately, so I didn't want to just go in and change anything without being certain I was correct.

I'm off to work now and won't be back until fairly late tonight, so if anyone has any comments, I'll read them later.

Thank you.

P.S. I don't know how some of you folks find so much time to work on Puppy. It boggles my mind. I must not be living my life correctly.

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

I'm fairly new to Puppy, and have always wondered exactly what a "Frugal Install" is.
Didn't and don't know if it's the same as using a "live" optical disk, then making a pupsave file, and perhaps saving to the same location the companion files copied off the optical.

alienjeff

#3 Post by alienjeff »

Excellent points, Hillside.

Booting from CD and using a HD-resident pup_save file is NOT a Puppy installation of any sort - full, frugal, automatic, or automagic.

On IRC in #puppylinux, I frequently suggest to rank noobs NOT to do frugal or full HD installs until they've fiddled around long enough with Puppy to make an informed decision whether Puppy is something they like. And that's one of the great "selling points" to running CD boot/HD pup_save.

Contrary to popular myth, installing Puppy Linux to HD, either full or frugal, is NOT a no-brainer. If anyone thinks otherwise, I heartily invite them to log some time in #puppylinux and coach the rank noobs through such an installation in real time. My assertion will quickly be evident and confirmed.

As Hillside alluded to, terminology is important. Words do matter. Accuracy counts.

And technical writing isn't supposed to be personal or stylish. As Joe Friday emotionlessly directs, "just the facts" - which might provide an interesting reference to and opine on recent wiki discussion re: "style."
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

puppyite

#4 Post by puppyite »

Here’s a link to the wiki article Hillside is talking about: CreateLiveCDorDVD

I culled the article from several pages (then deleted the superfluous articles). I then heavily rewrote most (but not all) of the content you see on that page.

Here is the block of text near the bottom of the page Hillside is talking about:
Frugal Install for Experienced Users
A frugal installation may be performed by extracting the contents of the ISO image to a directory on any FAT32, NTFS, or EXT2/EXT3/EXT4 formatted partition. See: InstallationFrugal
IIRC that block of text was written by coolpup and links to his article about same.

The article is long. This is because I wanted to cover everything a newcomer could possibly need to know to get started using Puppy in one sitting without having to view several separate articles.

Hillside,
I would like your input on this post I made about the wiki.

Lets continue to talk about CreateLiveCDorDVD in this thread.

PS: I don’t have a regular job so I have time for things like the wiki and posting here.

alienjeff

#5 Post by alienjeff »

Sylvander wrote:I'm fairly new to Puppy
"Fairly new" are relative terms. Having joined the forum just shy of a year ago deems you far from a noob in most circles.
and have always wondered exactly what a "Frugal Install" is.
http://tinyurl.com/ydsedzl
Didn't and don't know if it's the same as using a "live" optical disk, then making a pupsave file, and perhaps saving to the same location the companion files copied off the optical.
http://tinyurl.com/ydsedzl

No offense intended, but are you beginning to see a pattern developing here?
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]