Pwireless2 (Version 1.0)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
aarf

#161 Post by aarf »

(in dpup484) pwireless2 version is not in help so unknown version. fix that?
request also : autoselect the first scanned network so as only require to hit connect as in wireless1.
not select network, then connect in wireless2.
otherwise seems fine.

jemimah

#162 Post by jemimah »

You can find the version in /usr/local/Pwireless2/version. It's a good idea to add it to the help file. I will do that.

I will see if GtkDialog allows me to autoselect something. I want to be careful to prevent people from connecting to networks they did not intend to, since some networks could potentially be malicious.

DemostiX

#163 Post by DemostiX »

Lately three icons for network connections two large and one small beacon have been showing up in the tray.

Puppy 4.31, booted from USB stick, on a laptop with an ethernet port on eth0. .

in addition there's the iconwhich I guess is from not-disabled but not-used-either pwireless.

When I last installed pwireless2 2.9 beta I first uninstalled the prior release. (Does every Puppy applet developer include explicity instructions about how to install current releases, ie whether to close them or uninstall them first?)

So: Guidance, please, on how to stop two of those network icons from showing up; and a suggestion on how to diaable pwireless. Both of these are just consmetic, and low priority. Thanks for all the development .

jemimah

#164 Post by jemimah »

DemostiX can you post a screenshot?

You should uninstall the prior release before installing the new one.

To get rid of the old applets manually, go to /root/Startup and delete anything with Pwireless2 in the name.

aarf

#165 Post by aarf »

DemostiX wrote:Lately three icons for network connections two large and one small beacon have been showing up in the tray.

Puppy 4.31, booted from USB stick, on a laptop with an ethernet port on eth0. .

in addition there's the iconwhich I guess is from not-disabled but not-used-either pwireless.

When I last installed pwireless2 2.9 beta I first uninstalled the prior release. (Does every Puppy applet developer include explicity instructions about how to install current releases, ie whether to close them or uninstall them first?)

So: Guidance, please, on how to stop two of those network icons from showing up; and a suggestion on how to diaable pwireless. Both of these are just consmetic, and low priority. Thanks for all the development .
try out the screen shot app and annotate it in paint?

DemostiX

#166 Post by DemostiX »

Per suggestion, here's the screen shot. Note the 3 wireless beacon icons in the tray from pwireless2 and the double-screen wirelss icon, which flashes green from time to tiime, put there, presumably by pwireless. These appeared automagically, w/o active operator intervention since booting.

jemimah

#167 Post by jemimah »

The three that look like radio towers are all from old versions of Pwireless2. The flashing double screen applet is Blinky - that's part of Puppy, but not part of Pwireless2.

You should uninstall all versions of Pwireless2. Then check /root/Startup and make sure no Pwireless2 scripts are there. Then install the new version.

aarf

#168 Post by aarf »

is there a reason why pwireless-2-beta-2.9.pet cant see the wireless interface in upup458 or should i ask at upup458 thread? pwireless1 and connect wizard both find the wlan0 interface ok.
Attachments
notdetected.jpg
(6.99 KiB) Downloaded 1247 times

jemimah

#169 Post by jemimah »

What does your iwconfig output look like?

aarf

#170 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:What does your iwconfig output look like?

Code: Select all

# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:""  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Tx-Power=27 dBm   
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

# 

jemimah

#171 Post by jemimah »

Does the file /usr/local/Pwireless2/interface exist?
If no, try running /etc/init.d/Pwireless2 from the command line and see if there are errors.

aarf

#172 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:Does the file /usr/local/Pwireless2/interface exist?
If no, try running /etc/init.d/Pwireless2 from the command line and see if there are errors.
file interface wasnt there but after the command it appeared and now have the correct gui when pwireless2 is started from the menu. Have a copy of the output if needed. Cant see any terms that say error. Still dont have any live Wifi signals to test it on maybe tomorrow. Thanks.
Last edited by aarf on Tue 23 Feb 2010, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

aarf

#173 Post by aarf »

(duplicate post removed)
Last edited by aarf on Wed 24 Feb 2010, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#174 Post by jemimah »

Did your restart after installing pwireless2? The installer does not run the init script, Maybe it just never ran until you ran it by hand.

technosaurus

#175 Post by technosaurus »

I made a hack at integrating the connect wizard...
Attachments
Pwireless connect wizard.png
(42.08 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
Pwireless2.gz
(4.9 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jemimah

#176 Post by jemimah »

I think if we combine this idea with Barry's backend scripts from Quirky, it might be able to work.

I'm not sure if combining the GUIs like this will be confusing or not though.

Getting the two to live side by side is going to take some serious effort.

technosaurus

#177 Post by technosaurus »

I really just modified the gui format to better fit and added the beginning and ending code from the connectwizard - I think it would be fine to leave everything but the default selection parts... just so users could quickly get to cellular, dialup, PPPOE, the old network wizard and firewall (basically remove the bottom right frame and all of the code before and after that deal with those)... this was basically just a stop-gap to make it easier to get to the other connect methods
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

aarf

#178 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:Did your restart after installing pwireless2? The installer does not run the init script, Maybe it just never ran until you ran it by hand.
restarted a couple of times over a day or two. perhaps a test for the file's existence somewhere in the script?

jemimah

#179 Post by jemimah »

That dialog box is the test. :)

I wonder if maybe upup is not running scripts in /etc/init.d. It might need to be modified to make upup run it.

aarf

#180 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote:That dialog box is the test. :)

I wonder if maybe upup is not running scripts in /etc/init.d. It might need to be modified to make upup run it.
this is probably obvious to you but perhaps run the command (/etc/init.d/Pwireless2) before the dialog box pops-up, then run the test a second time and only popup the dialog box if the second test fails.