Is there a Youtube Downloader .pet?

Booting, installing, newbie
Kirsten-Duarte

Is there a Youtube Downloader .pet?

#1 Post by Kirsten-Duarte »

Hello Everyone,

I happened to have seen a Puppy version with a Youtube Downloader, I think its called Browser Linux... but is there a loose .pet package containing this application? And can someone give me the link?

I have tried searching this forum, but can't find it... maybe someone else can?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Kirsten

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Well, there's You2pup:

You2pup-2.1.4 - YouTube multi format video downloader

...but I'm not sure whether or not that's working, at the moment (since YouTube just changed things around yet again).

If you're simply looking to download the videos, and using Firefox or Seamonkey, you might try one of the video-downloading extensions like UnPlug, or a site like Keepvid.
(Opera has at least one YouTube-downloading widget, but I haven't tried any of them. Not sure what Chrome/Iron/Chromium might have.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Disco Makberto

#3 Post by Disco Makberto »

Kirsten, what video downloader does BrowserLinux use? Is it the YouTube Downloader add-on to Chrome?

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

loubapache

#4 Post by loubapache »

If you use Chome, there are two very nice youtube downloaders. I like fastesttube.

http://www.chromeextensions.org/music-v ... stesttube/

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

I use the Firefox add-on = "Easy YouTube Video Downloader v5.7".

sfeeley

#6 Post by sfeeley »

go to youtube and find your video. Click play then click pause. Wait for the video to download.

Then go to /tmp . There you will see a flash file . It will have a randomn name but this is the video. Rename it and move it whereever you want if you want to keep it. Puppy can play flash (.flv) videos.

No downloader required.

Disco Makberto

#7 Post by Disco Makberto »

Yeah, but my question is to know which downloader comes by default on BrowserLinux, without actually needing to add anything.

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

P.S.: Though I understand that the OP could be interested in an add-on.

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

I figured there was a decent chance that BrowserLinux was packaged with You2pup.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

I had the need yesterday to download some videos from youtube. I am running Racy 5.2.2.

I tried the latest You2pup, but it does not work.

That's why You2pup is not included in Wary and Racy 5.2.2. Probably Slacko has left it out also.

However, in SeaMonkey, choose Tools -> Add-on Manager and do a search for "youtube". There are a few downloaders to choose from.

I installed "Download Youtube Videos as MP4 and FLV" addon. Works great.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, there do seem to be quite a few extensions (for downloading and converting YouTube videos) for both Seamonkey and Firefox. I'm not sure why other browsers usually only seem to get two or three choices on average for this type of extension, add-on or plugin, though (not counting external sites like keepvid). :|

nooby

#11 Post by nooby »

Somebody very structured should look into all this.
And pardon me if I am totally wrong now but does not
youtube say them have two formats on their clips.

one is flash and can be downloaded as you guys have described
but the other format can not?

I remember vaguely that there where one
or several scripts that allow one to find where
the flash ended up among the 16 different Dirs
in Cache. Way back in the old FireFox one could
find it in Tmp or in Cache a single directory.

But not now. One need to use old FF 3.6.24 something for that.
Here is the link to the one I guess Barry talked about?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-youtube/

I have installed it but not tested it yet
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rjbrewer

#12 Post by rjbrewer »

BarryK wrote:I had the need yesterday to download some videos from youtube. I am running Racy 5.2.2.

I tried the latest You2pup, but it does not work.

That's why You2pup is not included in Wary and Racy 5.2.2. Probably Slacko has left it out also.

However, in SeaMonkey, choose Tools -> Add-on Manager and do a search for "youtube". There are a few downloaders to choose from.

I installed "Download Youtube Videos as MP4 and FLV" addon. Works great.
I prefer the "Download Helper" add-on. (Seamonkey or Firefox)
It creates files that are easy to burn to dvd with Pburn for
playing on regular dvd players.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Makoto

#13 Post by Makoto »

I'd prefer just downloading the video as-is and then later converting if necessary for whatever I want to do with it (rather than have the plugin or extension convert it for me from the original FLV, MP4, or whatever). That way, I can change or experiment with the conversion settings, if I want, and go back to the source, if necessary.

With the plugin or extension converting for you, you can't completely guarantee the end result will be how you might prefer.

ferro10n

#14 Post by ferro10n »

There's the Flashgot extension for both Firefox and SeaMonkey. For Opera there's the Fastest Tube extension, and there's a similar extension for Chrome. You can also try video.online-convert.com and convertfiles.com. I'd post links but I'm on my mobile phone
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

Makoto wrote:I'd prefer just downloading the video as-is and then later converting if necessary for whatever I want to do with it (rather than have the plugin or extension convert it for me from the original FLV, MP4, or whatever). That way, I can change or experiment with the conversion settings, if I want, and go back to the source, if necessary.

With the plugin or extension converting for you, you can't completely guarantee the end result will be how you might prefer.
So suppose I also want to do this. When I go to youtube them can have
4 different resolution of same video clip.
260 360 480 720 1024 even so how do you know the url for each of them.
I mean how do you tell something streaming to download?

Now that I have an extension or addon then I just click on it.

Slightly off topic.

The new law that Congress has already take will make all
this kind of moot within a short time. weeks months???
None will be allowed to have such music files online anymore.
Apart from singing your own melodies. I doubt one are allowed
to do covers even due to them too want to get paid for their music.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rjbrewer

#16 Post by rjbrewer »

Makoto wrote:I'd prefer just downloading the video as-is and then later converting if necessary for whatever I want to do with it (rather than have the plugin or extension convert it for me from the original FLV, MP4, or whatever). That way, I can change or experiment with the conversion settings, if I want, and go back to the source, if necessary.

Download Helper gives choices about conversion
and quality.

Full installs

Makoto

#17 Post by Makoto »

nooby wrote:So suppose I also want to do this. When I go to youtube them can have
4 different resolution of same video clip.
260 360 480 720 1024 even so how do you know the url for each of them.
I mean how do you tell something streaming to download?

Now that I have an extension or addon then I just click on it.
I haven't really worried about trying to get the URL for any of the YouTube clips I try to download in... well, more or less ever. :oops: The downloaders I've tried usually just give me all of the choices.
I think UnPlug does provide something of a URL for each video, but not in a form you can copy and paste.

There are probably Linux programs that'll determine the URL of a stream (I know there are a number for Windows), but I haven't looked into it - I haven't really wanted to save anything beyond the occasional YouTube video, yet.
rjbrewer wrote:Download Helper gives choices about conversion
and quality.
Perhaps. But I'd still rather have the unaltered source file around to experiment with (multiple times, if necessary), and avoid unnecessary conversions. (If you tell it to convert to MPEG-2 video, for example, with the intent of creating a DVD-Video disc, and there's something about the video that's not-completely-DVD-Video-compliant, it'll want to re-encode the whole thing all over again, risking a drop in quality. And YT videos aren't often the greatest quality to begin with. :()
Now, I'm not saying that Download Helper won't create DVD-Video-compliant MPEG-2 (I don't know if it will or not, or what kind of quality conversions it does (uses ffmpeg and/or maybe mencoder, I'm sure)), just that I'm a control freak when it comes to video. :mrgreen:

Disco Makberto

#18 Post by Disco Makberto »

Makoto, DownloadHelper (or at least the version I have used) does download a YouTube video without conversion. When it offers more than one option in quality, it is just mirroring the different qualities as they are in the original source.

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

rjbrewer

#19 Post by rjbrewer »

Disco Makberto wrote:Makoto, DownloadHelper (or at least the version I have used) does download a YouTube video without conversion. When it offers more than one option in quality, it is just mirroring the different qualities as they are in the original source.

Carlos Albert
D-Mak
That's correct; conversion is an option.
The direct files I've downloaded were accepted by Pburn for
DVD burning.

Many Youtube files downloaded by the other methods were
rejected by Pburn.
Attachments
downloadhelper.jpg
(81.36 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

Full installs

Makoto

#20 Post by Makoto »

I was originally referring more to rjbrewer's, "It creates files that are easy to burn to dvd with Pburn for
playing on regular dvd players." comment. I haven't worked with pburn, but from what I've read, it doesn't really do much converting, so you'd need to export MPEG-2 in Download Helper, if that was the case. :|