GuestToo
Puppy Master

Quiet CD drives by setting their speed

#1 Post by GuestToo »

You can set the maximum speed for a CD drive by typing:

eject -x 16

or:

eject -x 16 /dev/hdc

Change the speed and device name to whatever you like.

For example, you may not need more than 8x for playing an mpeg or avi movie from a CD. MP3 audio files probably do not need more than 1x.

I do not copy files from my CD drive to my hard drive very often, so i put an eject command in rc.local (in rc.d in /etc) to limit the maximum speed by default, when Puppy boots. This prevents my CD from making 747/Airbus takeoff sounds when i mount a CD.

I have found that if i run a live CD like Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, etc etc that if i open a terminal console window and set the maximum CD speed to around 20x or 30x, that the CD drive runs much quieter, making running from the CD a more pleasant experience.

It does run more slowly, but i do not notice much difference, partly because it runs rather slowly from a CD anyway, and partly because it seems to take less time to spin up the CD. Now, I always limit the CD speed using eject when i run a live CD.

Another advantage of limiting the CD speed is that it might read the CD disc more reliably than at full speed. This can be useful if you are trying to copy a damaged file from a CD. I find that using a program like Unstoppable Copier with a slow drive speed can often make it possible to retrieve a damaged file from a CD disc.