Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
  New Forum: http://forum.puppylinux.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 13 Aug 2020, 00:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Is there a pdf converter/alternative for FBreader?
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
steve_s

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov 2009, 23:18    Post subject:  Is there a pdf converter/alternative for FBreader?  

Just got Muggins's FBreader pet working (great job Muggins!) as an sfs file.

But I didn't know that it doesn't do pdf's.

So, can anyone recommend a good converter for all my pdf files so I can get this reader going for my books/documents? Wink

Last edited by steve_s on Mon 09 Nov 2009, 18:49; edited 2 times in total
muggins

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 00:46    Post subject:  

steve_s,

you could try some of the suggestions here. Although it seems the result is dependendent on how complex the images in the .pdfs are.

On the fbreader website they say that fbreader support for .pdfs:

Quote:
This format is not supported. Files in this format may contain just text as well as image representation of pages. We plan to include PDF support in FBReader: first support for files that are using text only.
aragon

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 03:55    Post subject:  

steve,

i've attached pdftohtml for you to test.

my experience: it is more a tool to do a quick and dirty conversion, the result won't be anything you will want to use regularely. if your pdf-files are text-only, it might be a solution.

but test it yourself and post your obesrvations.

aragon

steve_s

PostPosted: Wed 04 Nov 2009, 23:29    Post subject:  

thank you both; good stuff.

Aragon: I noticed that tool referenced other places while searching around, the one you posted as a pet file...I saw it on the Ubuntu stuff. Good post; glad you put it there.

Yeah, it is a little quick and dirty, but it did great on a test run book that was mostly text, converted like a champ to html.

But now we begin to get into the what-exactly-am-I-looking-for area, so that may end my search depending upon feedback.

I mean, for html viewing seamonkey/firefox are fine. For viewing pdf stuff, epdfviewer works just fine, and it is very easy to convert stuff to pdf via an OpenOffice sfs file, so nothing installed.

Converting to anything usable on FBreader is tricky; html to plucker file (pdb) I did not have success with. Converting pdf to text (pdftotxt) is sporadic at best, not as good as the html conversion, then from txt to pdb never worked well enough for either FBreader or for gpe-plucker. Also tried out ecub for converting txt to other formats and had limited success again, certainly nothing FBreader did well with.

But, like I said, I began to wonder why I was doing it at that point, unless just to see if I could (I do that sometimes).

So, I'll keep FBreader around for those formats it supports, and I'm open to suggestions about other available readers and formats, but Puppy does a good job of taking care of most of the files out there and the pdf reader may be just fine as is, unless there is something about one of the ebook readers that I just HAVE to use instead of epdfviewer to get the job done. So far I haven't seen anything completely revolutionary.

Anyway, thanks for the new tools and experiences with this one, and this as good a thread as any to post other ebook conversion tools and other ebook reader ideas, but other than that I think we are good. Cool
aragon

PostPosted: Thu 05 Nov 2009, 04:35    Post subject:  

steve,

yes to fathom possibilities in puppy could be addictive.

in general i do like epdfview very much, aside from that it is a lame duck if it goes to larger pdf-files.

fyi: http://www.fbreader.org/docs/formats.php says, that the devs plan to implement pdf.

aragon

steve_s

PostPosted: Thu 05 Nov 2009, 07:33    Post subject:  

aragon wrote:
...that the devs plan to implement pdf.

aragon

We can only hope... Cool
aragon

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 04:36    Post subject:  

as i'm daily checking freshmeat for new/releases/versions i just found this one

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/gpdftext#release_307787

[url]gPDFText is a text editor for GTK+ that opens PDF documents for ebook readers, converts the text contents into plain ASCII text, restores the original paragraphs and removes unwanted line breaks to allow easier zooming on the reader. [/url]

will try a compile today.

aragon

steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 14:53    Post subject:  

aragon wrote:

[url]gPDFText is a text editor for GTK+ that opens PDF documents for ebook readers, converts the text contents into plain ASCII text, restores the original paragraphs and removes unwanted line breaks to allow easier zooming on the reader. [/url]

aragon

Oh, that would be sweet...keep us posted. I'm hacking away on this side as well...have played with OpenOffice (has an extension that will create fb2 from odt documents, but no real love so far) and Koffice (handles pdf's better than OO but hasn't led to other formatting/conversion).
steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 17:38    Post subject:  

Ok, here are some items of interest.

The issue is that epdfviewer doesn't show some pdf's very quickly, and some not at all. FBviewer doesn't do pdf's and I can't find a very viable linux ebook reader that does pdf's well (anyone set up plucker for puppy? gpe-plucker didn't cover this well enough).

One option is to use a wine sfs (which I have) and use some little windows program, like Sumatra. This is NOT my favorite option as I would prefer something native, but it does need to be mentioned.

Small exe file, doesn't install, ran with wine from command (you could of course set up a desktop file if you wanted). Small pdf's it was very fast with, but even my most graphically advanced pdf's (a lesson for my church's sunday school class, oddly enough) it only took a few seconds to render (epdfview just freezes when I try to use it to open these and/or it takes like 5 minutes). See attached picture. So very small, nothing installed (including wine since I'm using an sfs) and did the job.

**edit: I should mention that I'm using a PIII laptop. Not ancient, but certainly not new and fast (except with Puppy, of course Cool ).

To aragon (and all): Puppy pdfedit does a GREAT job of taking a pdf and just straight converting it to text, essentially extracting text. So, if it is not graphically oriented, this is a good option for simpler text pdf's. Of course, epdfviewer reads these just fine as pdf's.

However, I am looking at making a good html settup of the graphic intense pdf's using an extension in OpenOffice, then seeing if seamonkey does a good job of presenting 'em. I'll post back results. Takes a little bit longer (not much), but keeps it in the Linux family.
sumatra.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   87.22 KB
 Viewed   2474 Time(s)

sumatra.jpg

steve_s

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 22:42    Post subject:  

Ugh... Confused

Opened that bloated pdf in OpenOffice, er, rather, didn't open it. It tried to do it on this PIII, but it took like ten minutes, trying to open this...terrible.

Ran it from command, pdftohtml, it just seemed to convert it to text, even though it ended up as html. Granted, I don't know this tool to well and need to try it out more...maybe I'll post back that it rocks.

So, still looking for a pure linux alternative for those big pdf's...

...I am looking forward to see if aragon comes up with that one he mentioned...that could be helpful as pdfedit doesn't organize like the one he is suggesting...
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov 2009, 22:58    Post subject: native linux foxit reader works well  

native linux foxit reader works well on PIII class machine for big pdf files.

Note that it needs you to use Xorg 24 bit colour though (not 16 bit) or it crashes

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/download.html

steve_s

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov 2009, 00:00    Post subject:  

mcewanw: Nice! It's even faster!! I even use foxit on my win boxes, but never knew they had a linux version. Great find!

Did a quick sfs from the deb file...nice!
foxit-linux.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   93.37 KB
 Viewed   2495 Time(s)

foxit-linux.jpg

aragon

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov 2009, 04:21    Post subject:  

steve_s wrote:
aragon wrote:

aragon

Oh, that would be sweet...keep us posted. I'm hacking away on this side as well...have played with OpenOffice (has an extension that will create fb2 from odt documents, but no real love so far) and Koffice (handles pdf's better than OO but hasn't led to other formatting/conversion).

ok, tested failed. needs updated gtk2 and such. but will look at it, when 4.4 is up.

aragon

steve_s

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov 2009, 10:29    Post subject:  

aragon wrote:
ok, tested failed. needs updated gtk2 and such. but will look at it, when 4.4 is up.

aragon

Ok...thanks, aragon.
muggins

PostPosted: Thu 19 Nov 2009, 19:45    Post subject:  

steve_s,

I haven't tried it myself, but thought I'd mention gpdftext.
Page 1 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: