Please post your simple tricks you know but others don't

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
disciple

#61 Post by disciple »

trapster wrote:amigo - nothing easier than a big metal spoon to get the skin off an avocado :)
But have you tried amigo's method? I saw my uncle doing it the other day and was amazed. He does it with the avocado sliced into four - I'm not sure how the performance varies with the number of slices :)
It can take a bit of practise to get right - the trick is to turn the skin inside out as you peel it off.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

amigo

#62 Post by amigo »

As I said, the goal is slices of avocado, in which case taking the peel off first is a mistake -especially for thin slices. Yes, a big spoon works great for getting the flesh out, but slicing that slippery hunk cleanly is nigh impossble.

tallboy

#63 Post by tallboy »

I recommended some on-line reading in a post in another thread, and I don't mind repeating it. It is all about getting down to basics, read through some of these links, and you may just as well be the next Linux guru! Some of the commands don't function in puppylinux, because the puppy build is kept to a minimum, but they are all basic Linux stuff, and may all be installed by a little click.

You go to TLDP.org (The Linux Documentation Project), go to section Guides, and there you'll find - among other useful stuff - Mendel Coopers fantastic Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide, and for those who think they already know the basics; an Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide, and GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Summary for the serious guru wannabes.

Learning to use the commands in a terminal window, and especially for those coming from DOS/Windoze, a simple UNIX/Linux thing like 'piping' the result of one command into a new command as many times as you want to, is a real eye-opener that make you see why UNIX in a terminal was such a heavy tool when it was released many years ago.

Tallboy.

Amgine

#64 Post by Amgine »

No real tips or tricks, but here is a link to some good e-books not all are on Linux, nothing on Puppy.

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/download

they ask for a password, if you sign up they will send it to you.

The password will be: makeuseof
But you can sign up for their news letter if you do...

tallboy

#65 Post by tallboy »

I hate using the 'save to CD/DVD' function that you get as an option when quitting a session when using a live CD/DVD. It always drag along some clutter that was not really intended to have around at next boot, and the extra files to be loaded, seriously slow down the whole booting process.

There is an elegant way to get around the problem, provided your .iso was burnt to a CD using the multisession option (I think all DVDs are burnt multisession when burnt by puppylinux).
You simply make an extra catalog on the multisession disk, and dump all your favourite pets and files into it. They are not made available on bootup, but can be accessed at any time by clicking the disk, and then you simply install what you need. I use it for Openoffice, emacs, Gimp, Dia, Scribus, Lyx and other massive programs that I use only sporadically. I only save the versions that I know work 100% in my dpup485, along with all the necessary dependencies and preference files, so I don't have to look around the net to find them. Having them available on the DVD make them install in seconds, and does not take up bandwith on a slow net connection.
You have to use the same catalog name every time, in the example it is named 'extras' - you can choose whatever you prefer, and the content will simply be updated whenever you save to it again. Important: a file will always be updated, it will NOT be available in several older versions, as in a normal 'pupsave'. If you want that function, use a new catalog name each save. In the code example it is written to a DVD, modify the code if you use a CD.
  • Make a catalog /tmp/extras, and fill it with whatever you want stored; programs, catalogs/files, music, pics or today's bookmark collection. (remember to check file permissions)
  • Open a terminal window, and write the same code every time you save to your DVD:

Code: Select all

growisofs -M /dev/dvd -D -R -l -new-dir-mode 0755 -graft-points extras=/tmp/extras
    (NOTE: the l in the line above is a small L)
Next time you boot your live puppy, everything behaves as normal, and if you need a couple of hundreds of megabytes of openoffice, you just click it to install it from your DVD.

I use this all the time, it works great!

The topic was also discussed in this thread.

Tallboy

tallboy

#66 Post by tallboy »

I have stolen this tip from elsewhere, I only have the name 'petur' to give credit for the tip. I have used it many times on my old linuxboxes with limited amounts of RAM, and it works flawlessly for me.

[quote="petur"]Howto download ISO files directly to a CD/DVD/BLU-RAY

It is possible to download .iso files directly onto a cd\dvd\blu-ray disk.

/dev/shm is a directory found on Debian & RedHat based distributions. (Please let me know if you find it on dists as well)
/dev/shm is a dynamic RAM disk, meaning it’s size will grow and shrink with the size of the files placed there.

The following process is especially ideal for users running Linux from RAM or small USB sticks. No drive space will be used during the process & only a very small amount of RAM is used.

First create a FIFO (first in first out) on /dev/shm

Next we command the burner to write any data written to the FIFO onto the preferred medium (dvd, cd, blu-ray, etc.)

Then we download the file ‘directly’ onto the preferred medium through the FIFO.

And finally we remove the FIFO.

I’ll demonstrate this by downloading the “Fedora Core 13 LIVECD