Please post your simple tricks you know but others don't

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
sc0ttman

CHANGE SAVE FILE BEHAVIOUR

#31 Post by sc0ttman »

This will change the behaviour of your save file management (a bit):

The following post shows how to:

1. Disable the automatic saving of the save file in frugal installs
2. Create a dialog message at shutdown, offering the choice of saving the session or not

Details here (don;t wanna double post):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 738#383738

This is useful if you are running a puppy that should not be disturbed during busy periods, or have very old hardware or very little RAM....
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

`f00

#32 Post by `f00 »

This is a useful gui-applet for .. if freememappletshell doesn't display (for whatever reason) - extract this freememapplet-tray binary to wherever's best for you (like /usr/bin perhaps) and it'll sit there until called by startup or menu item or however you like (I generally stick it in a 'base' menu of on-demand xtras for each wm) if the wm has a systray or equivalent. It's a simpler 'retro' look and there's a short r-click menu as well as a popup/tooltip (handy in case the main display gets scrunched - that happens in fluxbox's native systray for me with this item; but it's just fine in jwm's systray-dock, stalonetray, or the notifier-systray plugin in lxpanel or fbpanel).

hovertip Image . . and rightclick menu Image

Not sure where it was from originally, but I pulled it from one of Gray's fine pupplets.
Attachments
freememapplet-tray.tar.gz
md5=e6275fb2ac27fb21e7327e3adb5cc6ad
(8.27 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

ITAmember

#33 Post by ITAmember »

If you press the tilde key (~) while the focus is on a ROX window a terminal will be opened in that location.

disciple

#34 Post by disciple »

In my puppy it is this key `
The rox keybindings are configurable though - just hover the mouse over an entry in the right-click menu, and press the key combination that you want to use.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

ITAmember

#35 Post by ITAmember »

Whoops, it is the backquote key. :oops:

MinHundHettePerro

#36 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

disciple wrote:In my puppy it is this key `
The rox keybindings are configurable though - just hover the mouse over an entry in the right-click menu, and press the key combination that you want to use.
Thanks a lot for this tip, my keyboard layout (se) types the ` (back-tick) through "dead-grave, grave", which doesn't work as a shortcut in ROX.
So, my "derived" tip for people not having single-sequence key-stroke access to ` is to, per disciple's tip, hover the mouse pointer over "Right-click - Window - Terminal Here", and press e.g. the comma-key (which is not already in use as a shortcut-key).

:)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

yarddog

linux partitions

#37 Post by yarddog »

I ran across this today and thought it might be worth passing on

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/instal ... nux-2.html

Not that anyone would use this many, however, I found it helpful as I have 12 full installs going now

edited to remove data

prehistoric

elementary, but useful, my dear Watson

#38 Post by prehistoric »

From a discussion about reading error messages in a console.
Pizzasgood wrote:You can scroll (even on the raw commandline w/o X) by pressing Shift and the Page Up or Page Down buttons. Useful sometimes.
If you want the error and standard output to be combined for debugging, you can append this to the command.

Code: Select all

2>&1

puppy_pup_pup

Handy Rox locations in Puppy

#39 Post by puppy_pup_pup »

I have MacPup Foxy 3 which is based on Puppy Linux 4.3.1, so take this into account although these locations make work on Puppy period.

root/.usr/share/applications
(This location has desktop icons to every program in Puppy - just plop onto desktop - if you've installed anything new, the icon(s) are HERE as well)
[NOTE: you'll need to hit the button at the top to "show hidden files" or you won't see the .usr folder!]

mnt/
(drives are located here, including if you've plugged in a flash drive or whatever)

usr/local/apps
(a few apps are in here like one to change wallpaper (I use that one a lot) )
[NOTE : can't recall right now, but you may have to hit "show hidden files" again to see this location]

That's it. It's nice to know WHERE the desktop icons are (finally) since I'd spent many moons trying to place icons on the desktop which I prefer sometimes to just having the program listed in the menu.

glyoung

simple tricks

#40 Post by glyoung »

go to a console and type dmesg and it will give you all the hardware info you need on the computer. Handy for finding drivers for devices and such.

dejan555

#41 Post by dejan555 »

TEXT SELECTION TIPS:

If you only highlight text with mouse you can then paste it with middle click.
On laptops you can press both buttons together instead middleclick.
This should work for copying/pasting from and to terminal too.
For pasting into terminal you can also use shift+insert shortcut.
In some terminal emulators you can do "rectangular text select" if you hold ctrl+alt then drag.
What's more interesting is you can use rectangular select in geany too!

Glipper/Parcellite and other clipper utilities are usefull too get used to them - you can usually set them to use primary selection too (text highlight only) when remembering items and specify how much items they can remember.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

chrome307

#42 Post by chrome307 »

Thanks dejan555 for those tips :)

pri

unlimited pupsave

#43 Post by pri »

this is just simple trick for unlimited pupsave :D

just move a folder then linked to original , i recomended /mnt/home. if you plan to save a system folder, make sure /mnt/home is a linux partition. if not, symlink will deleted when install.

i use it to install windows program file, /mnt/home/.wine link to /root/.wine

tested on wine not tested on linux system :D
edited :D

sorry look like there is an other similar :D
ah deleted there is my empty post, just let it be :D
Learning by Doing

bones01

learning GRUB

#44 Post by bones01 »

I learned today that when editing the menu.lst in GRUB, the # symbol at the front of a line means that GRUB doesn't read it.

menu.lst makes more sense now.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

#45 Post by bones01 »

Winetricks brings up an impossibly sized screen. To scroll along, hold alt-click and move along. Resize the screen as normal if needed.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

potong

#46 Post by potong »

This is not a trick as such but rather "thinking outside the box" or should I say "thinking inside the box"!

Long ago I bought a 3-in-1 Lexmark printer/scanner. This works fine in windows but it could not be persuaded to work in Linux. I contacted Lexmark but they would/could not provide drivers for this model. So the 3-in-1 sat on the desk and dried up (BTW ink cartridges for this model were exorbitant).
Fast forward a few years: I am now using Puppy and I have a need to scan some documents but no scanner available. Well the 3-in-1 has a scanner but how to connect it to puppy?
I already have VirtualBox installed (for testing out new pups) so I popped in an old win2000 setup disk, created a win2000 virtual machine, applied the VirtualBox Additions to allow seamless desktop, installed the Lexmark printer/scanner software and then setup a shared folder between puppy and the virtual win2000 machine.
Now, with just a few clicks, I can use the scanner again and if need be the printer.
One proviso: the version of VirtualBox has to be the non-open source one because the 3-in-1 is connected via USB.

HTH

Potong

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#47 Post by Flash »

I discovered the same thing. Inkjet printers are the worst way to go unless you print a lot. If you don't, the ink dries out between uses. Expensive bummer. Laser printers are a better choice if you only print occasionally. They use dry toner powder, which should have a shelf life of pretty much forever.

Most of us these days have a digital camera with resolution high enough to make a dandy substitute for a scanner if your standards aren't too high. :)

If necessary, you can put the paper under a piece of glass or plastic to flatten it. Arrange things so the light source is far enough to the side of the camera that the reflection of the light source doesn't show in the picture.

potong

#48 Post by potong »

The Problem:

You want to print something off the web but you don't want to print adverts/sidebars/headers/footers etc.

If you're using Seamonkey, go to File/Edit Page, then in the new window, highlight the text or area you want to print and either copy or cut it.

Open a new composer page from File/New Composer Page and paste in you selection.

Continue copying/cutting until you have all the details you want and either save or print the result.

Bookmarklets are another way to go or if your a firefox person investigate Greasemonkey and/or Firebug.

HTH

Potong

p.s. Another excellent addon is Scrapbook for offline reading and it also includes a wysiwyg html page formatter

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#49 Post by Lobster »

→ °¿°
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

efiguy

Please post your simple tricks you know but others don't

#50 Post by efiguy »

Hi Group,

- In working on building a simple streaming TV PC to scanconverter, found that discovering the streaming url is somewhat difficult. There is much software to purchase, but I need to do this on the cheap, and all the urls seem to obfusicate the sources.
- So I put this methodology file together, as a "how to" - but actually looking for easier suggestions, or sources of any better techniques - [only 143 more urls to scan, if live long enough ;) ]

Thanks,
Jay
Attachments
FindingTV_stream_urls.ZIP
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 638 times