How to upgrade Quirky from 018 to 100? (Solved)

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
cebobbitt

How to upgrade Quirky from 018 to 100? (Solved)

#1 Post by cebobbitt »

I have been using Quirky-018 and really like it. I have downloaded Quirky-100 and ran it in ram only. It seems to work well on my hardware, my question is, can I upgrade 018 to 100 and still retain my saved files? Any special advice?

upnorth

#2 Post by upnorth »

I just upgraded from 013 to 1.0, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you can, copy your quirkysave-xxx.xfs so you always have a backup. Some of your personal settings will need to be reset in any case. You'll see when desktop appears. Reenable the firewall after upgrading.

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

On the other hand if you do a liveCD multisession it's simply a matter of switching the new q100 disc for the q018 you booted from, then reboot+save (your current setup in q018 is mostly saved as 1st and 2nd savedirs on the fresh q100 multisession disc).

Upgrade is pretty much automatic - some mssgs about a few of your personals and old files that may conflict with Official files (they are in /tmp/versioncleanup, do check that before it gets 'lost' and use any that seem vital to you to overwrite Official files as seems prudent). You still have the old q018 disc with savedirs as a backup of what was (if you do multisession), they're pretty easy to access chronologically. Sometimes it's a real judgement call as to how a few things may or may not be suitable in the new version.