Puppy RamBoot - Everything (including save file) in RAM

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
jemimah

#61 Post by jemimah »

Seaside, I'll check it out.

Anniekin, you need to use frugal if you want to put things in RAM. Even then, it's difficult to be selective unless you want to remaster or move stuff around to different sfs files.

seaside

#62 Post by seaside »

jemimah wrote:Seaside, I'll check it out.
jemimah,

Tried out a few other items -

Symlinked the devx_431.sfs file outside of the psub dir - no luck- was hoping that might be it.

Also, converted the "pup-save.2sf" save file to an .sfs file and renamed it "zp431000.sfs" and that didn't load (maybe the "zdriv" filename convention isn't right-not sure)

Forum seems to have been down.....

jemimah

#63 Post by jemimah »

I had problems today using psubdir with the devx without ramboot. Moving it to /mnt/home fixed it, maybe a symlink is not good enough. Not sure what the deal is yet.

seaside

#64 Post by seaside »

jemimah wrote:I had problems today using psubdir with the devx without ramboot. Moving it to /mnt/home fixed it, maybe a symlink is not good enough. Not sure what the deal is yet.
Yes, the devx sfs has to be either in the /mnt/home or symlinked to work for my "non-ramboot" loading from a psubdir.

(I'm wondering how many reboots my machine can take before it starts complaining that it's being abused :D ) ....

seaside

#65 Post by seaside »

jemimah,

Some more observations.....

The "zp431000.sfs" file needed to be renamed "zp431305.sfs". It loads fine with "ramboot=1" and without - in the psubdir.

The devx sfs file still doesn't load in "ramboot=1" mode, however, no matter if it's in /mnt/home or psub.

A puzzle.

Thanks for your help,
s

Q5sys

#66 Post by Q5sys »

ive been looking for a way to load the save file into ram as well... might be able to use what you've done as a steping point. :)
Thanks for the work you do for the community.

sunburnt

#67 Post by sunburnt »

Q5sys; But if you load it into ram then it`s not a Save file anymore!
It has to be on a "persistent" medium for it to Save data, usually a HD or USB flash drive.
This has been talked about and has been done, but why I`m not sure...

Q5sys

#68 Post by Q5sys »

sunburnt wrote:Q5sys; But if you load it into ram then it`s not a Save file anymore!
It has to be on a "persistent" medium for it to Save data, usually a HD or USB flash drive.
This has been talked about and has been done, but why I`m not sure...
sunburnt, yea I got that from reading the prior posts. Would be nice for once I have my save file in order and I want to load it into memory for faster usage. I save all my files to an external drive anyway. The only thing i'd be loosing would be web history and stuff like that which isnt important to me anyway.
Yea I know I could just remaster a CD, however I have different save files for different configs on my system, so if I did a remaster... then i'd be locked into one.

sunburnt

#69 Post by sunburnt »

I believe that Puppy will give a boot menu listing Save files that it has found.
To hack the boot code to load the SAve file into ram isn`t difficult, at least 1 GB is needed.
And then a shutdown GUI to Q for a new Save file name if desired, not hard to do...