How to (completely) remove SeaMonkey from Puppy ?

Using applications, configuring, problems
panzerpuppy

How to (completely) remove SeaMonkey from Puppy ?

#1 Post by panzerpuppy »

I'd like to get rid of all traces of SeaMonkey and use an alternative non-Mozilla browser (i.e. Chrome, Opera, NetSurf ,...) for surfing the web.
I also don't need gtkmoz , puppybrowser and bareview.

So I did a little experiment: I deleted the SeaMonkey-1.1.15 directory and installed an alternative browser. But when I checked the installed browser plugins, some plugins were missing. The most important plugin (Flash 10) was not detected.

It turns out that Flash 10 depends on many Mozilla libs (7 libs from the deleted SeaMonkey directory) and other apps may also need some of those libs to operate.

So the big $$$ question is what to delete and what to keep :)

(using Puppy 4.2.1)

ITAmember

#2 Post by ITAmember »

Scrap everything Mozilla/SeaMonkey related and start hunting down rpm/deb packages containing the required libs.

DaveS

#3 Post by DaveS »

I have a 4.3.1 I use with the Mozilla browser removed. I had to leave in the directory /usr/lib/mozilla, which contains plug ins I think, and the basic /usr/lib/seamonkey 1.1.18 directory, but only with these libs left in.
Attachments
SMleftovers.png
(27.62 KiB) Downloaded 4266 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

However, watch out for the CUPS web interface for adding/managing printers. You will need a browser interface for CUPS. To change the default behavior, you need to edit the script cups_shell

To make it work with Firefox and Seamonkey 2 I had to comment out these lines:

Code: Select all

USEBROWSER="defaultbrowser"
#[ -f /usr/bin/netsurf-barewindow ] && USEBROWSER="netsurf-barewindow"
#[ -f /usr/local/bin/bareview ] && USEBROWSER="bareview" #from gtkmoz pkg.
#[ -f /usr/local/bin/cupsview ] && USEBROWSER="cupsview" #w471 from gtkmoz pkg.
You will also need to re-set the defaultbrowser script located in /usr/local/bin
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

It turns out that Flash 10 depends on many Mozilla libs (7 libs from the deleted SeaMonkey directory) and other apps may also need some of those libs to operate.
I read this and was sceptical but after running ldd it is indeed so. (9 uses none) No wonder it's such an erratic pig...a hug glob that's slowly spreading...the next IE perhaps :shock: .It certainly helps explain certain instabilities under certain setups and is getting far too close to the operating system.

mike

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

mikeb wrote:
I read this and was sceptical but after running ldd it is indeed so. (9 uses none) No wonder it's such an erratic pig...a hug glob that's slowly spreading...the next IE perhaps :shock: .It certainly helps explain certain instabilities under certain setups and is getting far too close to the operating system.

mike
Agreed. Leaving in the libs I listed keeps it stable. On my system anyway......
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

panzerpuppy

#7 Post by panzerpuppy »

Isn't it better to download the latest release of SeaMonkey 2.0, extract and use those libs instead of leaving the old stuff from SM 1.1.15 / 1.1.18 ?

(especially if you're using Flash 10)

DaveS

#8 Post by DaveS »

Panzerpuppy....... your original post asks in relation to using a NON Mozilla browser, no?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

panzerpuppy

#9 Post by panzerpuppy »

The libs in the SeaMonkey-1.1.15 directory are needed for functionality of other apps as well:

For example, deleting libmozjs.so from this directory breaks GXine (it doesn't even start!)

Yes,I want to get rid of the SeaMonkey files and use a NON-Mozilla browser, but other apps need many (or all?) of the libs present in the SeaMonkey directory.

The Mozilla libs are a part of every SeaMonkey .gz package, so it's possible to download SeaMonkey 2.0 , extract the libs only and overwrite the old 1.1.15 ones with the ones from 2.0 (I don't need the browser)

Now how come 'seamonkey-bin' in Puppy's SeaMonkey 1.1.15 directory is only 206K when it should be at least 10MB or more ? (SeaMonkey 2.0 has an even larger binary of 14MB). There must be another big file hidden somewhere that's loaded together with the seamonkey-bin

ITAmember

Re: How to (completely) remove SeaMonkey from Puppy ?

#10 Post by ITAmember »

panzerpuppy wrote:It turns out that Flash 10 depends on many Mozilla libs (7 libs from the deleted SeaMonkey directory) and other apps may also need some of those libs to operate.
Not true, these are not mozilla libs, mozilla depends on these libs. Except for libmozjs.so which is the mozilla java script engine. But java script engines can be replaced.

8-bit

#11 Post by 8-bit »

Another application that is Mail or e-mail on the main menu.
I installed SeaMonkey 2.0 and left SeaMonkey 1.18 installed.
I had e-mail set up outside of Seamonkey 2.0.
With Seamonkey 2.0 not running, if I click on e-mail, it works.
With Seamonkey 2.0 running, if I click on e-mail, I get a window to set up an email account.
So e-mail must rely on support from Seamonkey 1.18.
Puppy version I am running is Puppy 4.3.1 scsi.
If I knew how to get Seamonkey 2.0 to recognize my existing email settings, I would fix that.
Also, I had upgraded from Seamonkey 2.0 beta, installed as a PET, to a downloaded install of Seamonkey 2.0 (The final release version).