Which AT init string to use with ext modem Solved

Using applications, configuring, problems

#16 Post by Guest »

Hi,
I'm not trying to be rude or argue with this post. This is just the one and only basic fact needed to insure the modem will work with any OS without any changes as stated above. You must be sure the settings stored in the ROM are the factory defaults. They are not the same for every make and model. If the modem came from eBAY or some unknown source they may not be the defaults. The ATI command just shows the status of the rom, not the commands stored in it. To assure a fresh start and have the best chance of the modem working the ATV command is used to show the settings that are stored in rom because that is what is loaded with the atz command (default init string). After the results from the atv command are retrieved they should be compared to the factory defaults, make any change needed and save with at&W. If this step is bypassed you will just be in luck mode.
So as Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry "Do Ya Feel Lucky"
Good luck and happy new year

willhunt

maybe

#17 Post by willhunt »

AT&F&W
&F fetch factory default &W write it
and then
ATZ

if not here is a good place to find a init string
http://www.modemhelp.org/setdef.html

#18 Post by Guest »

&F is just the flow control template. Software, hardware and none. The ONLY way to set ALL default values is posted above.

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

Secondhand kit is an entirely different scenario. All the used ones that come my way are dead! It isn't generally understood how vunerable telephone equipment is to ionisation as well as direct lightning strikes!
Best option is to flash the ROM and get the latest version at the same time, possibly even V92. Another reason it is so much better to work with HW devices - they can be upgraded easily by folks who don't do SW!

Problem with external modem (Solved)

#20 Post by Guest »

willhunt wrote:AT&F&W
&F fetch factory default &W write it
and then
ATZ

if not here is a good place to find a init string
http://www.modemhelp.org/setdef.html
Thanks all of you, guys, for your advices. AT&F&W didn't work. ATZ worked fine, but dropped the line after 1 minute of connection. ATH worked good too.
I tried to play with TIMEOUT=60 in /etc/ppp/chatscripts. There was no luck. Then I opened the modem and tried to play with connectors on the circuit board. One of them made the difference! I'm writing from my first stable connection in Puppy 1.0.2 ! I'm using external ZOOM VFXV32bis modem. It's very old, of course, but it's free for me. Good luck!