Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
scabz

#46 Post by scabz »

for me on 4.2.x ndiswrapper works better on my 900a.
but i use the patched madwifi for aircrack-ng andworks to crack my network, but to connect the ndiswrapper works better for me so i switch between both madwifi and ndiswrapper.

jemimah

#47 Post by jemimah »

Yes wpa_gui does conflict with network wizard. If a lot of people prefer puppeee with no wpa_gui I'll take it out (it requires qt so it takes like 10MB of space). I just find that it works so much better than network wizard and I'm assuming most people will agree.

ad4mm

#48 Post by ad4mm »

I have the atheros wireless card and I used the ath5k driver.

This is the first time for me using puppy so I'm new to it.

I do use ndiswrapper on ubuntu right now with no issues so I may try ndiswrapper.

what speeds do the overclocking set the proc, I have the 900 Mhz Celeron processor so I don't if that makes a difference but deleting those files allows it to work, I still get the warning do not unplug the usb drive but it doesn't crash.

I like the feel of puppy though a lot quicker than ubuntu.

jemimah

#49 Post by jemimah »

Well the madwifi site seems to be offline. Anybody know if it's gone for good?

I think overclocking the celeron only works on models that run at 630Mz. It bumps them up to 900Mz.

The usb warning is part of puppy, you'll always get it when you boot from usb. Although, I do think it's ok to unmount it from the command line and remove it if you don't have a save file.

Yeah that's why I came over to puppy. Got sick and tired of waiting for ubuntu to boot. :)

ad4mm

#50 Post by ad4mm »

I was able to connect to my network with wpa_gui, it's working great. Posting from puppeee right now.

I thought the warning was part of my crash because it would crash right after that warning but it looks like power management was the cause.

Is it normal for it to fail when reading the swap partition at boot, not to big of a deal but just wondering if you know.

magerlab

#51 Post by magerlab »

tried ndswrapper ( the first time windows CD wich came with eee pc is useful:)
now the speed is 1,5 mb/s
not bad....
i always use qt4 for opera,skype and smplayer
so will install it anyway:)

jemimah

#52 Post by jemimah »

I'm not sure on the swap space. I have no need for swap on puppy, and have never tried creating a swap space. Hmmm it's possible I disabled swap support in this kernel... I suppose I should turn that back on. :)

jemimah

#53 Post by jemimah »

The madwifi I got from sourceforge really doesn't want to compile on 2.6.30.5. I wonder how Tempestuous got it to work.

----

Ok, I managed to track down the version of madwifi Tempestuous posted and built it for this kernel. Tested it on my 701 and it appears to work. Wpa_gui doesn't like it at all so you'll have to use network wizard. I will include it in the new version I post tonight. If you want to use the madwifi driver, you need to blacklist ath5k and whitelist ath-pci so the correct modules will load.

prehistoric

swap

#54 Post by prehistoric »

jemimah wrote:I'm not sure on the swap space. I have no need for swap on puppy, and have never tried creating a swap space. Hmmm it's possible I disabled swap support in this kernel... I suppose I should turn that back on. :)
If your kernels don't handle swap, that would explain why loading the linux driver modules is the last thing that works before a boot fails. I've replicated my problem on several SD cards, and checked that I can boot and run unmodified 4.3.1 on the same SD card. The disk driver must hang when the init scripts try to use swap.

jemimah

#55 Post by jemimah »

Swap is back in starting tonight. You can see if that solves your issue. Though I have no idea why it would break for you and not everyone else, unless you somehow got an EEE pc with less than 128MB ram.

scabz

#56 Post by scabz »

jemimah wrote:The madwifi I got from sourceforge really doesn't want to compile on 2.6.30.5. I wonder how Tempestuous got it to work.

----

Ok, I managed to track down the version of madwifi Tempestuous posted and built it for this kernel. Tested it on my 701 and it appears to work. Wpa_gui doesn't like it at all so you'll have to use network wizard. I will include it in the new version I post tonight. If you want to use the madwifi driver, you need to blacklist ath5k and whitelist ath-pci so the correct modules will load.
i think it should whitelist ath_pci not ath-pci

magerlab

#57 Post by magerlab »

so have 2 puppies on eee pc
normal puppy 4.3.1 and yours for experiments
i'll try madwifi on yours while using ndiswrapper on normal puppy

jemimah

#58 Post by jemimah »

Yeah it shows up in the gui as ath_pci. Modprobe works either way.

jemimah

#59 Post by jemimah »

magerlab, you'll have to let me know which one performs better.

jakfish

#60 Post by jakfish »

jemimah--

I can't "modprobe eee" Says the eee.ko is invalid. Any way to activate that? I truly need fan control and would like to cat /proc/eee/fsb in my conky to monitor cpu speed.

I've got almost everything else working with your kernel/4.31.sfs

Jake

jemimah

#61 Post by jemimah »

The eee module crashes the kernel on certain models with certain bioses (including my 1005ha) so I'm using a newer module called asus_eee (ubuntu uses this as well) that does the same thing but with more error checking. Eee-control should work. Though you may want to check my post here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=120 which may explain some of your overheating issue.

jakfish

#62 Post by jakfish »

Thank you for such fast support. The asus_eee works perfectly for fan control and conky monitoring. I'm set, made the transition completely to your kernel/4.31.sfs.

It can be done with a pre-existing 4.31 puppy save file--mostly entails icon-work, jwm menu reconstruction, and other dressing. But all bluetooth pets work, and the speed of the kernel is just great.

Wifi return remains buggy, but since I have tempestuous' pets already installed, I click on his wlan.sh and I can bring it back.

Thank you again for your hard work and fine support.

Jake

jemimah

#63 Post by jemimah »

The new version is up. I updated the url in the first post. Fixes include addition of madwifi modules, fixes to networking script, removal of automatic celeron overclocking, and swap support added to the kernel.

prehistoric

boot problem still with me

#64 Post by prehistoric »

jemimah wrote:The new version is up. I updated the url in the first post. Fixes include addition of madwifi modules, fixes to networking script, removal of automatic celeron overclocking, and swap support added to the kernel.
Swap was not the answer. But, I still suspect there is something to do with the type of file system. The full 431 kernel boots without problems, even on the SD card which gave me trouble when your kernel and initrd.gz were used.

My 900A is the Linux version with the Xandros system. This has four partitions on the 16 GB SSD: sda1 ext2, sda2 ext3, sda3 labeled BIOS with type unknown, and sda4 with no label and type unknown. The SD cards I'm using have either FAT16 or FAT32 file systems, (so they can hold files put there by an OS we won't mention. )

If I am wrong about the problem being tied to the type of file system, we may have a case of different machines with the same model number having different parts. (Other people have reported this turning up on the EEE PC.) Whatever the cause, it takes place immediately after the linux kernel modules to access disk drives are loaded. The two files, vmlinuz and initrd.gz, are read, using the BIOS, before these modules are available.

If I am not bothered by the speed of the full kernel, what do I need to support the sfs for your puplet?

jemimah

#65 Post by jemimah »

Prehistoric, boot regular puppy, then send me a copy of your dmesg and lsmod output. Then I'll be able to tell if you have hardware that's not supported.

Is it still failing to find the sfs? Have you tried a regular usb stick as opposed to SD card? Maybe the card reader needs a kernel module I didn't add...

Puppeee has the normal 4.31 sfs plus only a few utilities that you can get as pets, so there's no compelling reason to use it if the kernel doesn't work for you.