Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ad4mm

#31 Post by ad4mm »

sorry for double post

jakfish

#32 Post by jakfish »

Installed both flyn and sym pets, but when clicking on flyn in Menu, the program comes up and with this error:

"Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?"

(eee 900)

On the bright side, I very much like your hotkeys with the brightness and volume numeric levels. Your network connect app found and connected me to my unsecured wifi right off.

I'll reserve a fresh sd card for this and continue to test anything you want, but I'm loathe to make a complete switch to this vanilla 4.31 since making my 4.31 puppy save file has taken a lot of my time and can't really be used with this.

Do you plan to release a customized 4.31 built for your 700 (with your groovy bluetooth apps, especially, and your other tricks)?

I would make the switch then and abandon all my previous puppy save files (I have bluetooth working, everything; what I lack is the speed of your kernel and your mods).

Well done,
Jake

jemimah

#33 Post by jemimah »

jakfish, you didn't need to install any pets for flysynclient, I installed it in the sfs, it should be on the menu (I forget which one right now, Desktop or Setup I think). The pets posted in "Addtional software" are an old version of synclient so you probably want to start over with a clean save.

I think, you can just boot up in the old version, uninstall the acpi pets, and then your save file should be ok for puppeee. (You may also have to install a pet file for the new acpi, which I need to update and post once I get some more feedback.) You can make a copy, uninstall bluetooth, see if my pets work better, and if they don't, go back to the old one. That's why puppy rocks!

This version has all the tricks I know of, for both atom and celeron. Although it seems the celeron overclocking is crashing for some people so I'll probably disable it by default and you'll have to turn it on if you want it. I don't think bluetooth will be standard since a lot of Eees don't have it and it takes up some space.

jemimah

#34 Post by jemimah »

magerlab, all the cool window manager stuff I'm working on will be released soon. This is just a release of the kernel and a couple utilities for people like jakfish who are heavily invested in 4.31. Fluppy and Flupeee with be the complete rebuild you and I are both dreaming of. :)

Is there a better ath5k driver somewhere? Point me to it, and I'll install it.

ad4mm, I don't know a whole lot about wpa. Can you change your key to test it? I would think wpa_gui would have fewer problems with wpa than the Network Wizard but I'm not sure. Which network card to you have? I haven't done any testing for the RAlink cards so people will have to tell me if that driver works.

If you use the non-elantech kernel, your touchpad is detected as a logitech wheel-mouse and will work, but you can't change any settings. If you use the elantech kernel, you will have a proper touchpad, and can use the flsynclient utility (located on either the Desktop or Utility menus, I forget which) to adjust it's function, turn on drag-lock and that sort of thing.

jakfish

#35 Post by jakfish »

Okay, I'm still getting the flyn erroe listed aboved even without the installed pets.

I'm taking your advice and playing with my current puppy save. A couple of caveats that I hope you can help me with. Using eee 900/sd card boot (w/ puppy save on card itself):

1) when booting, I get a loo-ong count down on usb section: "Waiting for modules to complete loading 1-2-3-4-5-etc

2) then at the end of the boot, I get this error, but it doesn't prevent puppy loading:

"FATAL ERROR inserting usbhid (/lib/modules/2.6.30.5/initrd/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko): Invalid module format"

Any ideas? With the slow down on the usb section of the boot, it takes all the fun away from the fast kernel.

Jake

jemimah

#36 Post by jemimah »

just to clarify, do you get that same error with flsynclient if you boot with no save file?

1. This is an easy fix. Open /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit in Geany. Go to line 377. It should say 'sleep 1'. Change it to '#sleep 1' and save.

2. The usbhid module is built in to this kernel, so you get that error message when the xwin script tries to modprobe it. It's nothing to worry about.

jemimah

#37 Post by jemimah »

I've disabled the celeron overclocking code in the power management scripts. I will upload the new version tonight. If you have a celeron, and know that overclocking works on your machine, you can turn it back on by editing /etc/acpi/powersave.sh and /etc/acpi/performance.sh.

jakfish

#38 Post by jakfish »

Many thanks for the tips--they work.

flsynclient presents that same error even with fresh install, no pupsave file on the eee 900.

Jake

jemimah

#39 Post by jemimah »

jakfish, can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log so I can see what's wrong with the synclient?

jemimah

#40 Post by jemimah »

Also, it would be great if some people would test my new application webcam-snapshot on the Graphics menu. If it's really dark, or spits out garbage, try setting the stablization delay to "long."

jakfish

#41 Post by jakfish »

Attached is the log.

I've got a wifi problem with eee 900, fresh frugal install, pupsave file on hard drive.

If wifi is on from boot, then fine, it's found in puppy.

But if it's off, then enabled by hotkeys or by direct clicking of wlan.sh, the blue led comes on, but no blinky, and your network gui says:

"Could not get status wpa-suplicant"

But if I restart X, then it connects.

Any ideas?

Jake
Attachments
Xorg.0.zip
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 1041 times

jemimah

#42 Post by jemimah »

Looks like the synaptic driver is not loading. Can you send me /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /proc/bus/input/devices ?

I am able to reproduce the wifi problem on my 701, but not on my 1005HA. I guess I will have to make sure the interface is not disabled before loading wpa_supplicant.

scabz

#43 Post by scabz »

jakfish wrote:Attached is the log.

I've got a wifi problem with eee 900, fresh frugal install, pupsave file on hard drive.

If wifi is on from boot, then fine, it's found in puppy.

But if it's off, then enabled by hotkeys or by direct clicking of wlan.sh, the blue led comes on, but no blinky, and your network gui says:

"Could not get status wpa-suplicant"

But if I restart X, then it connects.

Any ideas?

Jake
Try going into the network wizard and unloading the module and reloading it, even though it is probably faster to restart x.

jakfish

#44 Post by jakfish »

EDIT: xorg seems to have sorted itself out; I don't know why it was cranky.

Things are getting a little worse. X won't load, even after running xorgwizard. I'm stuck at the prompt.

And I've made no changes to this pupsave file. This one is fresh, no pets installed,

Jake
Last edited by jakfish on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

magerlab

#45 Post by magerlab »

i do not know what's going on with new kernel and wifi
with puppy 3 and 4 i had no problems ( installed madwifi driver)
now ath5k supports wifi card but the speed is only 100kb\s instead of 2mb\s( skype with video works fine)
wich i have in puppy 4.1.2
tried to use madwifi for new kernel but in pupeee it is not recognized
( maybe use ndswrapper:)

suspend works fine and wifi reconnects after "wake"
also i noticed that wpa_gui conflicts with network wizard
i removed wpa_gui from startup and have wifi connect each boot
but the speed is to slow....

as for flupeee - i'd like to have a base puplet to install what i need( even compiz or opera or else)

scabz

#46 Post by scabz »

for me on 4.2.x ndiswrapper works better on my 900a.
but i use the patched madwifi for aircrack-ng andworks to crack my network, but to connect the ndiswrapper works better for me so i switch between both madwifi and ndiswrapper.

jemimah

#47 Post by jemimah »

Yes wpa_gui does conflict with network wizard. If a lot of people prefer puppeee with no wpa_gui I'll take it out (it requires qt so it takes like 10MB of space). I just find that it works so much better than network wizard and I'm assuming most people will agree.

ad4mm

#48 Post by ad4mm »

I have the atheros wireless card and I used the ath5k driver.

This is the first time for me using puppy so I'm new to it.

I do use ndiswrapper on ubuntu right now with no issues so I may try ndiswrapper.

what speeds do the overclocking set the proc, I have the 900 Mhz Celeron processor so I don't if that makes a difference but deleting those files allows it to work, I still get the warning do not unplug the usb drive but it doesn't crash.

I like the feel of puppy though a lot quicker than ubuntu.

jemimah

#49 Post by jemimah »

Well the madwifi site seems to be offline. Anybody know if it's gone for good?

I think overclocking the celeron only works on models that run at 630Mz. It bumps them up to 900Mz.

The usb warning is part of puppy, you'll always get it when you boot from usb. Although, I do think it's ok to unmount it from the command line and remove it if you don't have a save file.

Yeah that's why I came over to puppy. Got sick and tired of waiting for ubuntu to boot. :)

ad4mm

#50 Post by ad4mm »

I was able to connect to my network with wpa_gui, it's working great. Posting from puppeee right now.

I thought the warning was part of my crash because it would crash right after that warning but it looks like power management was the cause.

Is it normal for it to fail when reading the swap partition at boot, not to big of a deal but just wondering if you know.