Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
dawnsboy

SSD write cycles 701 4G

#2566 Post by dawnsboy »

In regard to write cycles on an SSD. Here is an interesting article posted on the Wiki at eeeuser.com: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ssd_write_limit ... &s[]=write

Snail

EEE SSD Wear Levelling

#2567 Post by Snail »

Dawnsboy, the article you linked to assumes that 50% effectiveness of the wear levelling algorithm is the absolute worst case. The writer admits that he knows nothing about the algorithm but blithely goes on to state that 50% is conservative. The article that I linked to seems to suggest that for the special case of the 701 (4G), which has the very first generation of Consumer SSDs, the wear leveling effectiveness is nearer to zero. The writer does state that later generations of SSDs are much better. I am not qualified to judge between the two articles, but it does seem to me that the level of expertise in the thunk.org article is far deeper than that of the eeeuser article.

Given the impossibility of replacing the SSD and my prediliction for keeping my hardware till it becomes truly prehistoric, I prefer to play safe and assume the worst. I would be happy to be proven wrong by someone who really has analysed the EEE 701 wear algorithm.

dawnsboy

#2568 Post by dawnsboy »

Given the impossibility of replacing the SSD and my prediliction for keeping my hardware till it becomes truly prehistoric, I prefer to play safe and assume the worst. I would be happy to be proven wrong by someone who really has analysed the EEE 701 wear algorithm.
The article is a point of interest not a device for talking you into wearing out your SSD. Even if the flash drive is sound it is as you point out, soldered in. I have always had an OS on the SSD. I have used my 701 so much that the keys are very slick and shiny. Some of them are beginning to stick. I have toasted one Kingston key drive (not quite sure how I did that) but the SSD is still quite sound. It will quite likely be sound when everything else is useless.

Even so, I back everything up. No point in taking chances.

Aitch

#2569 Post by Aitch »

Apparently Silicon Systems SSDs as used in EEEPCs have a different wear levelling algorithm and lifetime guarantee

More info on the myths and legends arising from 1st generation SSD and flash drives, here

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

Only problem I've experience was a flash drive which just stopped working.....4 years ago.....I have about 7/8 others and no problems, other than speed variations

For fast ones, I recommend OCZ turbo, which aren't the fastest, but good value for money, by comparison

....unless you're rich :lol:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/o ... _ssd_lunch

Give them a few years.....

Aitch :)

jemimah

#2570 Post by jemimah »

Puppeee 4.4 Beta 1 has been posted: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=448088

Snail

SSD again

#2571 Post by Snail »

Dawnsboy, no amount of theory trumps emperical evidence! You have set my mind at rest. Sounds like the eee 4G SSD is a lot better than my groundless fears suggested.

I'll still try to minimise too much reliance in the pup-save file, but that now hasn't anything to do with the SSD, I do that with my HDD machines as well. And I won't loose any sleep over it, so thanks!

dawnsboy

#2572 Post by dawnsboy »

@ Snail

I have worn out hard drives in my time. I once purchased a 30GB Maxtor Diamond Max HDD for a system that I built. I had an MSI motherboard with a 1.2GHz AMD processor. I built it for Vector Linux 4.0. I slapped KDE and some apps on it from the Slackware 9.0 disc set.

Ran like a dream. HDD didn't last a year. I do not know what happened. I did compile some software for my own use but I am not a developer. The drive just stopped working one day.

Anything can happen to any hardware. I always back up my data.

:wink:

sandungas

#2573 Post by sandungas »

Im still using the previous release (v1 ?) and i have 2 fails that im not sure if are bugs
---------------------------
usb devices plugged after boot are not detected
I think is a problem with Pmount, because im booting from SD card and i have access to it

---------------------------
google chrome sometimes puts my cpu to 100% load
I think is a problem with flash player
Go to this page, and let the song finish http://www.goear.com/listen/a0e690b/what-i-got-sublime
when finished... dont close the page and wait... you will see the cpu 100%

-----------------------------
-----------------------------
About removing putty in the last release...
I use daily xchat+ putty

With putty i can make SSH tunnel connections between 2 PCs (this way i can use a BNC to connect to a IRC server and hide my IP)
And im using xFISH plugin for xchat (this way i can enter in private encrypted channels)
*xFISH encryption plugin is only available for xchat, mirc, and irrssi

Probably this is not usefull to everybody, but talking about security in IRC networks... this combo is one of the best solutions ;)

jemimah

#2574 Post by jemimah »

There is a window of time between when the kernel does usb detection and when Udev starts that you can plug in a usb device and it won't show up. The solution is to just wait until the desktop has loaded. Are still you having the problem if you wait?

Chrome is updated in beta1, maybe your problem is fixed. They are knocking out bugs pretty fast. Chrome 6 was just released and it's pretty nice. I will upgrade to Chrome 6 in beta2.

Remmina supports ssh tunneling. Please test it and let me know what you think. I will put PuTTY back if people find Remmina unsatisfactory. But it'll add a couple MB to the ISO to have both.

sandungas

#2575 Post by sandungas »

jemimah wrote:There is a window of time between when the kernel does usb detection and when Udev starts that you can plug in a usb device and it won't show up. The solution is to just wait until the desktop has loaded. Are still you having the problem if you wait?.
Yes, tested with several pendrives, none of them is detected
One of the pendrives has a led, and i can see the blinking pattern that usually does when plugged (maybe this means something to you)

When i plug them, dont appear a new icon in the desktop, if i open pmount and i press "refresh" button the pendrive is not detected

I dont remember exactly what happenend, but the other day i saw an error in pmount when connecting or disconnecting a pendrive
Pmount window was blinking, something like closing and opening continuously
I dont remeber what i did to stop this, i thought that was a fail of pmount and i gave no importance
But it seems that after this my USBs are blind

Let me know if i can do something to track this error, i dont want to update to the new release before report/fix this
jemimah wrote:Chrome is updated in beta1, maybe your problem is fixed. They are knocking out bugs pretty fast. Chrome 6 was just released and it's pretty nice. I will upgrade to Chrome 6 in beta2.
I been trying to replicate what i explained, and i cant get to 100% cpu compsumption again, but most of the times i get 70% or 80% (because a web page that is not active, and is out of focus)
I think is too much, i realized of this because the fan gets crazy when this happens (temperature gets high)
Its seems to be a problem of flash, lest see if the new chrome fixes it, thx for add it
jemimah wrote:Remmina supports ssh tunneling. Please test it and let me know what you think. I will put PuTTY back if people find Remmina unsatisfactory. But it'll add a couple MB to the ISO to have both.
When tunneling with SSH i need to load an autentification packet.ppk i will try with remmina later
It was just a comment about security, maybe this encryption capabilityes can be fine to promote puppeee
But xfish needs xchat... and xchat has not too much sense with pidgin installed
So the combo xfish+xchat+putty probably has no sense in puppeee

---------------------

As a suggestion... synergy is a very usefull app for a netbook when you have a destktop pc near you and have both screns at your sight
The desktop pc works as a mouse & keyboard server (over LAN), and you can controll both pcs with the destkop mouse & keyboard
You can even copy/paste text from/to both pcs, and is compatible with linux, macOS, and windows

I found a synergyc.pet (client version) in your web so probably you know it
*There is another app in debian repositoires that adds a GUI to synergy but i found no .pet for it

2lss

#2576 Post by 2lss »

I can vouch for sandungas as I have similar issues with chrome locking up when running flash stuff.

It usually happens to me at sites like playlist.com. Chrome freezes, the cpu load shoots up, and I have to kill it.

Even when functioning properly, flash bogs the cpu down and causes the temperature to spike. I think it sucks in general.

jemimah

#2577 Post by jemimah »

I could install Technosaurus' hacked flash7 if you guys want. :)

2lss

#2578 Post by 2lss »

jemimah wrote:I could install Technosaurus' hacked flash7 if you guys want. :)
Is there a pet for that? I would like to give it a try. What makes it "hacked?"

jemimah

#2579 Post by jemimah »

My understanding is Technosaurus hex-edited the binary to make Flash7 say it's flash 10 - so websites won't reject it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58995

2lss

#2580 Post by 2lss »

Thats awesome! I'm going to give it a try.

What is the best way to remove and/or disable the current flash player?

jemimah

#2581 Post by jemimah »

To disable Chrome's internal Flash, edit /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome and remove '--enable-internal-flash' from the last line.

2lss

#2582 Post by 2lss »

I gave Technosaurus's flash install script a try and installed 7 and 9. Seven did not play youtube stuff and 9 worked good but I'm not convinced that its much different than 10. So far 9 has not crashed but I have yet to test it extensively.

On a side note, how do you disable the startup/shutdown sounds?

aarf

#2583 Post by aarf »

2lss wrote:
On a side note, how do you disable the startup/shutdown sounds?
in >desktop

phanghf

video sluggish

#2584 Post by phanghf »

i'm using eeepc 701 with puppeee. everything was smooth, but video was sluggish. any fix to this?

jemimah

#2585 Post by jemimah »

You can overclock it using eee-control. The 701 is touchy with overclocking and they don't all work - but it's worth a try.

You'll get best results by only changing the clock speed when your system is idle. It crashes more if you try to change it while playing a video or something cpu intensive.