Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 03:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppeee 4.3X
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 168 of 176 [2633 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, ..., 174, 175, 176 Next
lemmy999

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 03:00    Post subject:  

@jemimah

From memory I'm pretty certain its booting from the sd card. I am still booting with no arguments. The current filesystem 504.sfs is mounted on a reiser.

I'll try moving everything to a different partition and lose the subdirectory later.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 09:16    Post subject:  

sandungas wrote:

The only part that i dont understand is how to edit the hibernate.sh file adding "swapon" & " swapoff"
Can you upload a hibernate.sh with this tweak ?

I supposed that this tweak enables the swap only for hibernation, but i prefer not to mess with scripts, because im not a coder

----OPS, EDITED, MY FAULT----

So i need hdparm to stop the HDD
And swapoff to deactivate the swap on SD
Swapon to enable the swap.... only for hibernation

Do you plan to add hdparm & hibernation to eee-control ?

Is not a petition Embarassed

To fix the hibernate script look for the line 'acpitool -S' and modify like so

Code:
swapon /dev/sdb1
acpitool -S
swapoff /dev/sdb1

Change sdb1 to be the name of your swap device. The difficulty here, since you're using a removable drive is that this name may change from reboot to reboot.

I probably won't add hdparm to eee-control because you need to be rambooted for it to work. Hdparm also only works on spinning drives - you can't spin down an SSD. If you hdparm a drive that's in use it'll either not spin down at all or spin up and down over and over again depending on the delay you set. Spinning up and down is bad for the drive, so really only people who understand what they're doing should use hdparm.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 09:20    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
flwm: cosmetic not big issue.
at beginning no problem. now after a few improper shutdowns. nearly every restart will have desktop irregularities. black boxes around pwidgets Only one task bar showing either the top bar or the bottom bar very rarely both bars.

clicking /root/Startup/0wigets will remove the black boxes from pwidgets. (now desktop linked.)

/root/my-panel-applets/ROX-Menu is also now desktop linked for when the bottom bar doesn't make its appearance.

is there something i can click that will start the bottom or top task bars or can these irregularities be fixed simply by code manipulation?

I think this might be the result of filesystem corruption. Have you run an fsck on your save file?
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 09:23    Post subject:  

lemmy999 wrote:
@jemimah

From memory I'm pretty certain its booting from the sd card. I am still booting with no arguments. The current filesystem 504.sfs is mounted on a reiser.

I'll try moving everything to a different partition and lose the subdirectory later.

Ah, the puppeee kernel doesn't have boot time reiserfs support.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 11:13    Post subject:  

I've posted an updated firefox sfs and also the puppy arcade sfs.
jemimah

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 11:32    Post subject:  

sandungas wrote:

Puppeee designer ---> puppeee + gimp.sfs + blender.sfs + python.sfs (python is needed by blender)
Puppeee arcade ---> puppeee + puppyarcade8.sfs

This can be achieved by using different savefiles ? there is another easyer way to load different bootmanager configs?

Maybe you should look into tcz linker. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47976

I haven't tested it, but it should allow you to load SFS files on the fly, as many as you want.
lemmy999

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 11:39    Post subject:  

@Jemimah

Amazing how such a seemingly small detail can cause soooo much trouble. Created a new ext2 partition, installed puppeee into a sub folder, tweaked grub accordingly and everything is looking good Very Happy

Now for nfs and skype!

Thanks for all your help!
aarf

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 14:23    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
aarf wrote:
flwm: cosmetic not big issue.
at beginning no problem. now after a few improper shutdowns. nearly every restart will have desktop irregularities. black boxes around pwidgets Only one task bar showing either the top bar or the bottom bar very rarely both bars.

clicking /root/Startup/0wigets will remove the black boxes from pwidgets. (now desktop linked.)

/root/my-panel-applets/ROX-Menu is also now desktop linked for when the bottom bar doesn't make its appearance.

is there something i can click that will start the bottom or top task bars or can these irregularities be fixed simply by code manipulation?

I think this might be the result of filesystem corruption. Have you run an fsck on your save file?

yes did pfix=ram and fsck on the pupsave and it was clean. also have pfix=fsck in menu.lst . what is puzzling is it is random what will actually be on the desktop. no discernible pattern. for one boot when using an external sd card reader had the pwidgets backgrounds come in as murky light blue instead of the black. it isn't much effort to create a new pupsave but not sure if it will fix for long.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
aarf

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug 2010, 17:11    Post subject:  

playdays writes in this threadhttp://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=441374#441374
Quote:
Lupusave save file. When you create a Save file I recommend at least 128MB--if the file is too small things will fail unpredictably

my pupsave is 32mb which is what i normally use. could this be part of the problem with my flwm desktop? free space icon in bottom task bar is not so accurate for personal storage file.

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

pemasu

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 09:55    Post subject:  

About pupsave. I usually use 512 mb - 1 gb even when using usbflash. I also usually install dev sfs to get python. That eliminates problems of too small pupsave or need to install something which is included with basic configuration.

After that testing and installing is easy. No problems with weird problems.

In lupu development thread there were some self-induced problems because of too small pupsave. The recommendation of 128 mb pupsave was justified.
sandungas

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 10:54    Post subject:  

I was testing with 32mb & 64mb savefile... (trying to reduce boot times) but both sizes are too small, and you will have a message in the top of the screen permanently remembering you that you must resize your savefile

But if you are interested in keep a small savefile take a look at the "remaster tool app" (is an app preinstalled in puppeee, i dont remember the name exactly)
With this app you can remaster the "big" filesystem.sfs by adding your changes & configs

I always boot in ramboot.. so i dont need to save anything

And talking about ramboot... it seems that the only way to make it work is placing all the files in the root of the device (puppeee main files + additional.sfs)... ALL in the root
The bad part is that ALL the .sfs in the root are loaded when booting (even the ones that are not configured to load in bootmanager)
If you dont want them to load, just remove them from root... not a big problem

Actually ramboot does not work with subdirectoryes
-You can boot puppeee from a subfolder, and place the additional.sfs in the root... but when booting in ramboot this additional files are not loaded (not detected by the bootmanager)... and you will have a error message in the boot "updating layered filesystem"... (a layer update that in fact is not working)

-If you boot puppeee from a subfolder, and place the additional.sfs in this same subfolder nothing is detected (even using psubdir= pdev= or pde1= ) none of this modyfiers solve it

----------------

Jemimah, what kind of changes do you do to the .sfs to work ?
All the ones that i downloaded for your web works fine (old & new ones... thx btw), but the originall puppyarcade8.sfs (sfs v4) created by scottman was not detected by the bootmanager
What kind of incompatibilityes can we find in other .sfs ?

I need blender.sfs to work, and i would like to learnt how to convert them
jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 11:06    Post subject:  

If the SFS has a version number in it, you just rename it - that's all I did (plus a tweak for icewm that sc0ttman suggested).
sandungas

PostPosted: Thu 12 Aug 2010, 11:30    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
If the SFS has a version number in it, you just rename it...

You mean the name of the file ? because yours has no numbers in the name (i.e. puppeee-arcade.sfs)

Edit:
Great, blender.sfs is loading Smile

The original name was: blender-2.49b_431.sfs and i just renamed to: blender-2.49b.sfs (erased this _431 version number)
aarf

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug 2010, 12:35    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
I think so. I have to do the paperwork first and tell Barry.

I'm not sure if I have enough megabytes left on my aircard (evil AT&T will cut you off if you go over the limit) to do the upload to ibibio so I need to wait until Monday.

jemimah: in case you miss this

Quote:
Posted on 13 Aug 2010, 23:25 by BarryK
Re Puppeee
I did send an announcement for Puppeee to Ladislav at Distrowatch but he has chosen not to post it. Instead, he has added a comment to the Puppy 5.1 announcement.

It looks like Jemimah will have to register it as a separate distro, and it will then go into the waiting list (3 months).
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01756

_-¤-_

sandungas

PostPosted: Fri 13 Aug 2010, 16:21    Post subject:  

I been tweaking a few pwidgets trying to adapt them for netbooks, if somebody is interested, the files are attached in this message with a short explain of how to install them -----> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=441863#441863

*The battery one is fixed, because the original one shows duplicated info in puppeee

Page 168 of 176 [2633 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, ..., 174, 175, 176 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: