Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sandungas

#2476 Post by sandungas »

Is normal that bootinst.bat creates a file in the root of the device with the name: ldlinux.sys ?
This happened in RC8 (where was included the old bootinst.bat)

But this one http://puppeee.com/files/misc/bootinst.bat dont creates this file

Inside bootinstall.bat there is a line with the word Fluppy

rjbrewer

#2477 Post by rjbrewer »

sandungas wrote:Is normal that bootinst.bat creates a file in the root of the device with the name: ldlinux.sys ?

Interesting:

I haven't been able to make a bootable usb-flash with Bootflash in
the latest Lupu versions; but Bootflash in my Fluppy install (contains
the ldlinux file) works great.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

sandungas

#2478 Post by sandungas »

Few pages before in this thread, somebody commented about a problem with bootinstall.bat in RC8
Jemimah answered that the solution was to replace this bootinstall.bat by the one in the link i posted

When i did this... an executed it... i realized that this ldlinux.sys file was not created (well... probably it was created, but outside of the filesystem as a "hidden boot block"... or this is what i thought in this moment)

Im not sure about how many versions of this bootinst.bat there are but all of them worked for me in windows xp

Edit:
It was this message
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 450#437450
Last edited by sandungas on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 18:50, edited 2 times in total.

jemimah

#2479 Post by jemimah »

sandungas wrote:Is normal that bootinst.bat creates a file in the root of the device with the name: ldlinux.sys ?

You want the ldlinux.sys file. The buggy script is the one that does not create it. Note that this file is hidden by default in windows so you might not see it.

sandungas

#2480 Post by sandungas »

Ok, i thought that there was a problem with this bootinst.bat in windows vista or 7
As i said, in xp works fine

jemimah

#2481 Post by jemimah »

I've been told it doesn't work at all in 7 (dunno about Vista). I updated the instructions to tell Win7 users to use Unetbootin.

aarf

#2482 Post by aarf »

wasnt puppeee going to distrowatch?

jemimah

#2483 Post by jemimah »

I think so. I have to do the paperwork first and tell Barry.

I'm not sure if I have enough megabytes left on my aircard (evil AT&T will cut you off if you go over the limit) to do the upload to ibibio so I need to wait until Monday.

simon1482

#2484 Post by simon1482 »

hi, (not sure if this is a puppy question or a puppee question) My firefox 3.6.3 cache file is growing bigger and bigger and eating up all my save file. The firefox limit is set to 50Mb, but it's gone well past that. I've read about linking the cache to a /tmp folder, but it would be nice to keep some cache of commonly used sites. Is there a way to limit the cache file size?

Also, firefox is asking me to update to version 3.8. Should I do it, or will it break puppeee things?

lemmy999

eee-504.sfs not found

#2485 Post by lemmy999 »

Apologies for cross-posting this one but I thought I might have a better chance of sorting this problem out here rather than in Beginners Help.

First thing I have to say is- great distro Jemimah!! I am hoping to use this as my main distro on my 1000H. But thats after I sort out the following problem

I have installed puppeee in a frugal install on sda5. Grub is now properly configured and tries to boot puppeee.At some point I get the following error message
eee-504.sfs not found.Dropping out of initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
This also happened with RC8. Any thoughts?

jemimah

#2486 Post by jemimah »

simon1482 wrote:hi, (not sure if this is a puppy question or a puppee question) My firefox 3.6.3 cache file is growing bigger and bigger and eating up all my save file. The firefox limit is set to 50Mb, but it's gone well past that. I've read about linking the cache to a /tmp folder, but it would be nice to keep some cache of commonly used sites. Is there a way to limit the cache file size?

Also, firefox is asking me to update to version 3.8. Should I do it, or will it break puppeee things?
I'm not sure about the cache question. Updating may or may not work. I've had issues in the past. I will make a Firefox 3.8 SFS this week.

jemimah

Re: eee-504.sfs not found

#2487 Post by jemimah »

lemmy999 wrote:Apologies for cross-posting this one but I thought I might have a better chance of sorting this problem out here rather than in Beginners Help.

First thing I have to say is- great distro Jemimah!! I am hoping to use this as my main distro on my 1000H. But thats after I sort out the following problem

I have installed puppeee in a frugal install on sda5. Grub is now properly configured and tries to boot puppeee.At some point I get the following error message
eee-504.sfs not found.Dropping out of initial-ramdisk console...
/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
This also happened with RC8. Any thoughts?
Can you post your grub configuration?

lemmy999

#2488 Post by lemmy999 »

Code: Select all

title Puppy Linux 504 frugal
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
kernel /puppy504/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy504 nousbwait=1
initrd /puppy504/initrd.gz
This is the grub config produced when I did the frugal install.

jemimah

#2489 Post by jemimah »

title Puppy Linux 504 frugal 
rootnoverify (hd0,4) 
kernel /puppy504/vmlinuz
initrd /puppy504/initrd.gz
If that works, you can add the other parameters back one at a time and see which is causing the problem. My guess is that you don't want pmedia.

sandungas

#2490 Post by sandungas »

psubdir=XXXXX is mandatory if you want to boot from a subfolder

***You can make non-permanent changes in grub lines by pressing "E" in the grub selector window***
e= edit/ edit line
d=delete line
b=boot

Try to do some changes this way... is fast and is not dangerous

jemimah

#2491 Post by jemimah »

It's not mandatory. The init script searches all drives one directory deep by default. Adding additional parameters only serves to speed things up.

lemmy999

#2492 Post by lemmy999 »

Yay!!!! Your suggestion was spot-on Jemimah!!

Next task is to get Skype and NFS working. :D

Thanks.

simon1482

#2493 Post by simon1482 »

jemimah wrote:I'm not sure about the cache question. Updating may or may not work. I've had issues in the past. I will make a Firefox 3.8 SFS this week.
Thanks heasp, that would be great! Actually, the new version is 3.6.8 (not 3.8). Sorry about that.

songzi

#2494 Post by songzi »

Just upgraded a previous Puppeee RC version to Puppeee 1.0 on this Eee PC 900. Everything works fine. Lots of thanks for Jemimah's work!!
Puppy Linux | Arch | antiX

sandungas

Trying to fix bootinst.bat

#2495 Post by sandungas »

In this one http://puppeee.com/files/misc/bootinst.bat .... and the one included in V1 (different, but both has the same code lines) there are 2 spaces between -maf ...&... %DISK%:

\boot\syslinux\syslinux.exe -maf  %DISK%:
Maybe this 2 spaces are the culpit of the broken installer in vista/7 ?¿?¿

I been looking at some different booinst.bat you did because im sure at least one of them dont creates this (hidden) ldlinux.sys file in the root of the device
At least the one included in RC2 creates the file in this subfolder \boot\syslinux\ldlinux.sys using this command line:

\boot\syslinux\syslinux.exe -maf -d \boot\syslinux %DISK%:
Maybe this file is needed inside this path in vista/7 ?¿?¿
I have no idea about syslinux, but it seems that the -d modifyer is needed to set the folder where this ldlinux.sys file is created

Take a look at this bug report from other distro as an example where a bad syntaxis of -d modifyer, the root is used to create the file
https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/ticket/167