Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
JM1717

#1936 Post by JM1717 »

I agree with prehistoric. A windows self extracting archive is needed or keep files and instructions available to run the windows version of unetbootin for installation.------Jemimah, RC1 is running nicely on my 900HA (booting from SD card and saving to HDD).

jemimah

#1937 Post by jemimah »

Does windows know what to do with a regular zip file? Ideally there would be one format that would work correctly on both windows and linux..

mikeslr

Opening Zip files in Windows7

#1938 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Can't try it myself as I don't have Windows 7. But 7zip works fine in XP.
Here's the link. Half-way down the page it says works in Windows 7.
http://www.7-zip.org/

And here's the link for the portable version, which also supposedly works under Windows7 and may work under wine.
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable

mikesLr

TomRhymer

#1939 Post by TomRhymer »

jemimah wrote:Does windows know what to do with a regular zip file? Ideally there would be one format that would work correctly on both windows and linux..
Yes, WinXP, Vista, and 7 all have zip support built in. If they're on an older version, there are plenty of free tools available.

If you want to use tar, there are freeware programs for windows that can decode it, like 7-zip.

zicozico

Windows tar.gz vs .tgz

#1940 Post by zicozico »

All,

Usually windows archivers get a little bit confused by the double extension (tar.gz),

The solution usually is : rename it to .tgz so that winrar and friends recognize it.

Zicozico

jamesbond

#1941 Post by jamesbond »

Hi Jemimah,

Suggestion - to include syndaemon and auto-start it. Useful for user of smaller eeepcs without touchpad on/off control. Together with synclient, it seems to be part of Xorg but I can't find it - may be it wasn't compiled in.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jemimah

#1942 Post by jemimah »

Here is the syndaemon. You can just decompress it and put it in /root/Startup.
Attachments
syndaemon.gz
(10.15 KiB) Downloaded 361 times

prehistoric

zip format

#1943 Post by prehistoric »

TomRhymer wrote:...Yes, WinXP, Vista, and 7 all have zip support built in. If they're on an older version, there are plenty of free tools available.

If you want to use tar, there are freeware programs for windows that can decode it, like 7-zip.
Agreed, there are certainly freeware programs available, and zip support is standard on Windows versions I have fairly close at hand, which ought to solve the problem.

Then again, I still have to check on just how Windows 7 Starter has been crippled to advertise commercial alternatives on Eee PCs. This is likely to be a continuing battle. Does anyone have a link to a site devoted to following these issues?

BTW: What happens if you call support?

The business of complicated and intimidating legal agreements you must accept before you can tell if the system you bought is usable, crippled versions of preexisting software, plus a typical $30-$50 charge to "optimize" by removing crap, (likely leaving built-in advertising,) just might have some relation to the large number of "refurbished" machines available.

There was a time when my question, (when shown a machine with Windows Vista,) about how much it cost to have Windows removed, was sort of a joke. Not any more.

jamesbond

#1944 Post by jamesbond »

jemimah wrote:Here is the syndaemon. You can just decompress it and put it in /root/Startup.
That's fast :) Thank you!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

2lss

#1945 Post by 2lss »

jemimah wrote: This kernel does not have /proc/eee/ at all due to the module not compiling, so none of that code will work. Can you verify that the kernel doesn't drop the voltage in this version or was that problem specific to the but in the old scripts?
Does this mean that there is no fsb scaling for celerons in the last 2 pupee's? If so is it possible to use the older kernel with the eeepc module in the newer versions of puppeee? Also, I was digging around in the powersave script and found:

Code: Select all

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/cpufv
Is this performing fsb scaling? I only ask b/c my battery does not seem to last as long with the past 2 versions of puppeee. I tried using powertop but I don't get a power usage estimate. I get a message:

Code: Select all

Enable the CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY kernel configuration option.
 This option is required to get power estimages from PowerTOP
Is this due to the eee module not compiling? or something else?

jemimah

#1946 Post by jemimah »

The eeepc-laptop module is performing the scaling - it should work fine AFAIK. However, FSB scaling is disabled by default - so make sure it's turned on in Eee-control.

The battery in some of the celeron models does not report a discharge rate - there's nothing (that I know of) that can be done to fix it since it's a hardware feature.

PaceNotes

Resolution

#1947 Post by PaceNotes »

Ive got the 1005peb and I cant get 1024x600 I'm stuck at 800x600. 915resolution can't determine chip set.

Any ideas

jemimah

#1948 Post by jemimah »

Would you be able to send me your /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Xorg doesn't use 915resolution but it's needed for Xvesa. I can check around if there are newer patches for it. Do you have a working 915resolution on any other distro?

Does the wireless and other hardware work? Doess eee-control work?

Also, I'd be interested if Lucid Puppy or Quirky configure it correctly. They both have a newer Xorg and I wonder if the Xorg in Puppeee is just too old.

PaceNotes

#1949 Post by PaceNotes »

Log sent to your email.

I don't have a working 915resolution for any other distro.

The wireless and all other hardware appear to work fine as does eee-control.

I will try lucid and quirky to check if they work.

Thanks for your help jemimah. Aside from the resolution problem pupeee is running perfectly.

oh, I forgot to say that the xorg wizard allows me to select 1024x600 but it doesn't take.

groogruxking40

Jemimah-- you familiar with MacPup

#1950 Post by groogruxking40 »

Hey Jemimah-- got rid of Puppeee and now running MacPup.. but guess what? now it doesn't recognize my wireless at all, do you have any idea about MacPup?

jemimah

#1951 Post by jemimah »

PaceNotes wrote:Log sent to your email.

I don't have a working 915resolution for any other distro.

The wireless and all other hardware appear to work fine as does eee-control.

I will try lucid and quirky to check if they work.

Thanks for your help jemimah. Aside from the resolution problem pupeee is running perfectly.

oh, I forgot to say that the xorg wizard allows me to select 1024x600 but it doesn't take.
Ok, it's trying to use the VESA driver which doesn't detect 1024x600 as a usable resolution. Try deleting /usr/X11/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so then restart X and see if that will force it to use the intel driver. This may cause X not to start.

jemimah

Re: Jemimah-- you familiar with MacPup

#1952 Post by jemimah »

groogruxking40 wrote:Hey Jemimah-- got rid of Puppeee and now running MacPup.. but guess what? now it doesn't recognize my wireless at all, do you have any idea about MacPup?
No idea. I still think it's your access point that's funky. You never did get back to me if the access point has a log file or not.

PaceNotes

#1953 Post by PaceNotes »

jemimah wrote: Ok, it's trying to use the VESA driver which doesn't detect 1024x600 as a usable resolution. Try deleting /usr/X11/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so then restart X and see if that will force it to use the intel driver. This may cause X not to start.

unfortunately removing that file didn't do the trick. You were right that X fails to start without it.

jemimah

#1954 Post by jemimah »

Try rerunning 'xorgwizard' from the command line. Then, type 'xwin' to try to start X again.

If that doesn't work, I have no other ideas besides try Puppies with a newer Xorg. I will start work on Puppeee 5 as soon as I have time - there's no way to upgrade xorg in the existing Puppeee that wouldn't be extremely painful.

drspastic

all looking good

#1955 Post by drspastic »

the new puppeee is running nice. i had a few crashes on chrome due to flash, and one hang i had to hard reset.
i cant seem to get a djvu reader to work on here which is important for me.
please can we ditch chrome for next release?
what of plans to make a unified repo? package manager is a waste of space at the moment.
all in all, the nearest os to 701 perfection, i would like to see an easier way to install on a clean eeepc. the permissions problems put new users off. and a guide to getting it on the ssd, in fact if the system could function like the original system in emergency, ie. f9 recovery and system is back the new users would be less scared to put to ssd. I still keep xandros just in case i end up with a brick.