Puppeee 4.3X

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
aarf

#1921 Post by aarf »

using portable opera10.54 i have to paste to geany then to terminal, straight from opera to terminal fails ,
the shutdown problems of 431 are still evident in puppee rc1 . halts at white rectangles on black screen. hard-off required.

prehistoric

Re: 1001P how many cores?

#1922 Post by prehistoric »

jemimah wrote:...All Atom processors have this - it's called hyperthreading. That's why the kernel needs SMP support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading
This leaves the question of the difference in reported clock speeds, but, no, please don't tell me. I not sure I could take it in my debilitated state.

I knew Hyperthreading(Tm) was a new name for multiple register sets, but didn't realize it showed up as a phantom processor. I suppose we must all resign ourselves to such coming techno-linguistic attractions as hype-or-ventilation, (cooling being a big issue.)

songzi

#1923 Post by songzi »

aarf wrote:using portable opera10.54 i have to paste to geany then to terminal, straight from opera to terminal fails ,
the shutdown problems of 431 are still evident in puppee rc1 . halts at white rectangles on black screen. hard-off required.
I had the same shutdown problem with RC1, too (my machine is EEEPC 900, the puppeee rc1 is on a 4GB SD card). When rebooting and prompted to choose xorg or vesa, I chose vesa, instead of xorg. This time the shutdown returned to normal.
Puppy Linux | Arch | antiX

jemimah

Re: Installation in Desktop PC

#1924 Post by jemimah »

rameshiyer wrote:Madam

Is it possible to install Puppeee 4.3 in Desktop PC having IntelQ6600 CPU (quad core), Q35 Intel chipset Motherboard.
Probably not - it has drivers for the EeePC only.

jemimah

#1925 Post by jemimah »

aarf wrote:using portable opera10.54 i have to paste to geany then to terminal, straight from opera to terminal fails ,
Tell me more about the shutdown problem. Every time? Often? Once in a while? Can you reproduce it consistently?

There is a problem with the Intel driver (and what version of the intel driver does not have problems?). I can't upgrade it without breaking MESA. If you don't care about 3D, Patriot has posted a couple newer Intel packages that you can test.

aarf

#1926 Post by aarf »

jemimah wrote: Tell me more about the shutdown problem. Every time? Often? Once in a while? Can you reproduce it consistently?
covered extensively b4 in the after release of 430/431
lets say often and can be reproduce fairly consistently when converting the original pupsave to the image below. do all the changes at once and you will have to do them all at next reboot because the pupsave will fail to save.
so did them 1 at a time with a click of save to be sure,
other than that they still come seemingly randomly .
note the no fans in pwidgets and the battery widget (over puppee logo) also fails.
Attachments
peeer.jpg
(23.79 KiB) Downloaded 1253 times

aarf

#1927 Post by aarf »

after disconnect from wireless networks is chosen by right click on the connect icon, reboot is necessary before wifi connection can be reestablished.
previously had a wifi down button which worked effectively at going down and was just a simple ordinary reconnect to connect again.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash 
ifconfig wlan0 down

01micko

#1928 Post by 01micko »

ok aarf,

Try this patch for fan in the Temp widget (attached)

jemimah

I haven't been around this thread much lately, busy busy with lupu stuff, but I have to say that this is great!

I'll see if I can knock over the battery bug in pwidgets too.

Cheers
Attachments
pwidgets-fan-patch-1.pet
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

aarf

#1929 Post by aarf »

pwidgets-fan-patch-1.pet: even on reboot, no noticeable change. i was reluctant to post this bug when i know how busy you are on lucid.

01micko

#1930 Post by 01micko »

pwidgets battery patch... I can only test on the eee701SD with Celeron kernel, so I need feedback to see if it works on other celerons and atoms.

There is a possible conflict with vattery, though I haven't seen it...it was there before I patched.. we'll see I guess.

Cheers

woops, no attachment!
Attachments
pwidgets-bat-patch-1.pet
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 15 May 2010, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#1931 Post by 01micko »

aarf

try this

remove the temp widget and replace with any other widget. Apply. Now remove your temporary widget and put back in the Temp_cpu widget... (same procedure for battery). No need for a reboot.

It may work because Pwidgets keeps the same file until the widget is actually removed.

Cheers
Attachments
widgets-ok.jpg
(45.05 KiB) Downloaded 1492 times

01micko

#1932 Post by 01micko »

The Skype sfs I posted in the Additional pets and stuff|Internet forum works out of the box on Puppeee 8) :D

Running great.. no problems so far.

Cheers

jemimah

#1933 Post by jemimah »

Thanks Micko, you saved me the trouble of figuring out how you fixed it in boxpuppeee.

aarf

#1934 Post by aarf »

Thanks micko. Fans started displaying after the battery pet instalation also, and now both fans and battery widgets are operational

prehistoric

Catch 22 for RC 1 installation from Windoze, and suggestion

#1935 Post by prehistoric »

While attempting to spread wisdom to the unenlightened last night, I ran into a feature which will cause problems for people who want to install and try Puppeee from Windows 7. (This was with W7 starter.)

It is convenient to download a single package, but W7 doesn't know what to do with *.tar.gz archives. Except that it offers links to a selection of commercial products -- generally in the $30 range -- which will allow one to get past this point so you can run that batch file to install from W7 to an SD card.

I had no problem making an end run on this roadblock by booting Puppy and unpacking. However, someone with a new netbook, and little experience, will conclude they have to spend money simply to find out if they want to use Puppeee. For Windoze victims without Puppy or open source experience, I think there should be a self-extracting *.exe archive.

JM1717

#1936 Post by JM1717 »

I agree with prehistoric. A windows self extracting archive is needed or keep files and instructions available to run the windows version of unetbootin for installation.------Jemimah, RC1 is running nicely on my 900HA (booting from SD card and saving to HDD).

jemimah

#1937 Post by jemimah »

Does windows know what to do with a regular zip file? Ideally there would be one format that would work correctly on both windows and linux..

mikeslr

Opening Zip files in Windows7

#1938 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Can't try it myself as I don't have Windows 7. But 7zip works fine in XP.
Here's the link. Half-way down the page it says works in Windows 7.
http://www.7-zip.org/

And here's the link for the portable version, which also supposedly works under Windows7 and may work under wine.
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable

mikesLr

TomRhymer

#1939 Post by TomRhymer »

jemimah wrote:Does windows know what to do with a regular zip file? Ideally there would be one format that would work correctly on both windows and linux..
Yes, WinXP, Vista, and 7 all have zip support built in. If they're on an older version, there are plenty of free tools available.

If you want to use tar, there are freeware programs for windows that can decode it, like 7-zip.

zicozico

Windows tar.gz vs .tgz

#1940 Post by zicozico »

All,

Usually windows archivers get a little bit confused by the double extension (tar.gz),

The solution usually is : rename it to .tgz so that winrar and friends recognize it.

Zicozico